Author Topic: C-14 brake light switch adjustment  (Read 400 times)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
C-14 brake light switch adjustment
« on: July 13, 2016, 04:18:10 pm »
Ok, finally got around to grinding off the rod and now I can't figure out which way to rotate the switch to make the light come on. Yeah, I searched. Yeah I'm brain dead today. Anybody know right off hand? (Yes, I know it can only go two directions. Got that.) Looking down on it, clockwise or counterclockwise? Do I need to move the lower black nut or just stretch the spring. Help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Ron

I took the assembly that holds the shift lever and peg back off and tried adjusting the switch up and down. First I could pull the plunger with the spring and the light would come on, but now it will not come on. Did I blow the fuse? The brake light works with the front brake lever just fine.

Ideas appreciated?
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:46:39 pm by ron203, Reason: add more info »
2014 C-14

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
Re: C-14 brake light switch adjustment - Got and learned something
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:03:05 pm »
Ok, I said earlier I was brain dead today. Doh. When I ran the switch the wrong way (down) it unplugged the leads. I looked online and saw a post where someone had said "look for two bullet connectors" so I did. Never found them because......

The 2014 C-14 has a brake switch lead that ends not in two bullet connectors as noted elsewhere, but in a square connector that is in a boot under the right side panel under the seat. It would have been nice to have it right above the switch or to make the switch leads detachable. Too frigging easy.

Here's what happened: The connection will come apart relatively easily if you twist the brake switch, which I did, and it's fairly short with relatively little slack. The plug is up behind the side panel and I didn't see the other end. When I did, just plug it back, right? Nope. The problem is where the little sucker is located. Or it could be that I have XL American hands, not XS small Oriental hands. ... >:(   

Not so much.

The two leads connect inside the frame, under the seat and behind a bunch of junk on the right side.I could see it, but couldn't reach it or hold on to it. I could not get my American hands in there and could not use extended bent needle nose pliers because both ends had to be held to be plugged up. Also had to remove the seat and the right side cover panel.

I finally realized that I either had to remove the tail frame or the tank, or I could pull the upper end out of the hole and the lower end outside of the frame and connect them outside the frame and still keep them under the side cover, then cover up with the boot and the pane. What a PITA! Just two more inches of lead and I could have done it (reconnected the leads) standing up beside the bike with the seat off, then tucked it back inside the frame, BUT ---- NOOOOOOO!!! Maw Kaw saved, oh about $.10 in wire by what she did.

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's an update to how that switch connects and a work around if yours comes loose. Brake light is back, btw and the pedal is finally lowered.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:12:08 pm by ron203, Reason: Cooled off and reflected on the post info »
2014 C-14

Offline trm

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: C-14 brake light switch adjustment
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:42:44 am »
Hate to bring up an old thread, but as a newbie my rear brake light switch also got disconnected and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get my hands or even some pliers holding the connector up there?  How do i remove enough plastic to reconnect this brake light switch?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Tom in SA

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:30:36 am »
It's been a while but I took the seat off and either loosened or removed the side pane (don't remember which) then resorted to routing the wires outside of the frame but under the plastic.
2014 C-14

Offline trm

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 02:58:34 pm »
Does anyone have a location for instructions on how to remove the rear / side plastic?  There are some screws on the underside that no matter how many times I turn them never loosen the fastener.  I'm still not sure its going to work the fixed connector I'm trying to plug the brake light switch cable into is hidden behind other connections, inner side of the subframe. 

Its hard to believe that to access a connection off the wiring harness (that comes loose relatively easily) I would need to remove the rear subframe?

I spent a lot of time searching through the service manual available online, but never found the basics like "Remove Rear Cowl" instructions.  I feel like I'm spending hours looking for informational and instructional resources that were readily available for my other bikes.

Thanks, TRM in SA