Author Topic: C-14 Fobs  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Michael_Seubert_WI

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 3339
  • Membership Level: Active
C-14 Fobs
« on: February 01, 2018, 05:45:41 pm »
I was just on the Partzilla website to price spare fobs for my C-14.  The have active fobs for $217 and passive fobs for $28.  That is the cheapest price that I have found.

Mike

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
Re: C-14 Fobs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:20 pm »
Thanks, think I'll order on of each. Or maybe two cheepies ::)

Offline touring03

• Bicycle
    • ADVENTURES ON 2 WHEELS - motorcycle touring & travel
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10797
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:41:38 pm »
You'll have to take them to a dealership and have them programmed to your bike, don't know how much that would cost.

PG.

Offline Michael_Seubert_WI

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 3339
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:10:50 pm »
My dealer quoted one half hour of labor to program the fobs.

Mike

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:25 am »
Be sure you take all existing fobs to dealer and test them after programming.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:09:19 am »
Be sure you take all existing fobs to dealer and test them after programming.

In amplification, after testing your Fob(s) make sure you take out all (if you have more than one) the fob batteries (Fobs like the one pictured on the right) to test your immobilizers.  The immobilizers drop out if not physically present during the addition of a new one with a KSD (no longer registered). 

As covered before (ad nauesum), the active fob (the one pictured on the right) has two chips (the Fob and the immobilizer) Each (when registered) allow you to start your bike.  The Fob is the active part and is battery powered.  The immobilizer is not battery powered and must be placed next to the protrusion near the ignition.  If you do not remove the battery, you don't know if your immobilizer test is successful or not.

In short, each Fob (the one on the right) should be tested twice. 
-the active Fob (tested with the battery installed).
-the immobilizer part (make sure all batteries are removed from all active FOBs (registered to your bike and present during this test).

The one on the left is only an immobilizer.  It only requires a single test like the one described above, make sure all active Fobs (registered to your bike and present during this test) have their battery removed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:58:28 pm by AmphibSailor »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 12:42:34 pm »
When I woke up from my coma and checked out of the hospital a month later then proceeded to rehab at home someone brought my shredded gear and I found my fob in the right pocket where it lives. I wheeled into the other room and looked on the keyrack and found the passive fob. Given that 3 months had passed I had 4 fobs and no idea where my bike had got to. At a techday jwh20 brought his kds unit and programmed all 4 fobs to the new bike. My motto is "when it comes to KIPASS fobs, you can never have too many".

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 12:45:49 pm »
When I woke up from my coma and checked out of the hospital a month later then proceeded to rehab at home someone brought my shredded gear and I found my fob in the right pocket where it lives. I wheeled into the other room and looked on the keyrack and found the passive fob. Given that 3 months had passed I had 4 fobs and no idea where my bike had got to. At a techday jwh20 brought his kds unit and programmed all 4 fobs to the new bike. My motto is "when it comes to KIPASS fobs, you can never have too many".
Man, sorry to hear about the coma, rehab and all that. Hope you are recovering well! I agree with your motto, that's why I have something like 3 cloned keys, plus 2 passive and 1 active fob! Cloning is the way to go, doesn't take a "memory slot" in the receiver end! :)
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 01:18:14 pm »
Man, sorry to hear about the coma, rehab and all that. Hope you are recovering well! I agree with your motto, that's why I have something like 3 cloned keys, plus 2 passive and 1 active fob! Cloning is the way to go, doesn't take a "memory slot" in the receiver end! :)

First I've heard of FOB CLONING. What is that and how is it done?

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 01:34:52 pm »

First I've heard of FOB CLONING. What is that and how is it done?
Find a good Automotive key maker / locksmith, that can read the code on the "chip" in the master fob (nowadays, almost every key in cars are chipped, that work with engine immobilizer if I recall correctly). This way, the code can then be programmed into a regular car key with the chip in it. You can also cut the key (copy it) to make it work with your bike's locks. See the video I made about this last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsPbR3aoT8
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 04:45:58 pm »
I was just on the Partzilla website to price spare fobs for my C-14.  The have active fobs for $217 and passive fobs for $28.  That is the cheapest price that I have found.

Mike
Getting ready to purchase spare fob at Partzilla. When I look under 08 or 09 it say not available (active fob, no mention of spare fob)
When I look under 2010 and put the spare fob in cart it says This Kawasaki 21175-0256 SPARE FOB KEY fits the following models 2010-2017.

Can anyone confirm this will work on my 08? Thanks

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:55:52 pm »
I was told it will...

The reason you are confused by the fiche is that Kawasaki produced the earlier models with two active FOBs...and, the later ones with one active, and, one passive FOB.  The fiche won't show parts for other years...if you look at the ECU for the earlier model, it is shown having two active FOBs, while checking the later models will show one active FOB with the ECU...as well as one passive FOB...hence the different part numbers...

HTH...

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 07:44:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the different offerings from year to year and figured it's Partzilla who is confused - odd that they say FOB UNAVAILABLE for 08 and 09. That makes me leery, but then I'm pretty paranoid. I would love to hear from someone who has actually used a 2010+ spare fob on an 08 or 09.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 12:44:56 am »
Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the different offerings from year to year and figured it's Partzilla who is confused - odd that they say FOB UNAVAILABLE for 08 and 09. That makes me leery, but then I'm pretty paranoid. I would love to hear from someone who has actually used a 2010+ spare fob on an 08 or 09.

I can attest that this FOB (perhaps what you are calling a "spare fob") does indeed work on an 08 as well as all other years:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/jwhance/C14/PassiveFOB.jpg

The KiPass and Key Immobilizer systems are identical across all years of the C14.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 01:10:09 am »
I bought a 2016 yesterday. The salesman handed me the active fob, I’m asked him about the other fob, he told me they only come with one fob ,
Me- No they come with this one and a passive fob!
Salesman -no I talked to the prior owner and he said no it has one!
Me- well if I lose this fob then I have to buy another and a ECU!
Salesman- yea .
Me- well if you don’t have both fobs the deal is off!
Salesman- I will be right back,
He comes walking up with the other fob in hand . Lol

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 05:28:23 am »
Make sure you try it before it you actually need it...
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:10 am »
I bought two of the 2010+ passive fobs and had them programed to my 2009. They work fine.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 12:44:25 pm »
I bought two of the 2010+ passive fobs and had them programed to my 2009. They work fine.

Thanks. I've order two and will get them programmed soon.