Author Topic: C14 and a slightly injured left leg/hip  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
C14 and a slightly injured left leg/hip
« on: April 13, 2018, 08:46:00 am »
I'm currently trying to decide between a "new" 2015 C14 (price is RIGHT, 0 miles) or BRAND NEW Versys 650 lt.. At the moment  my only concern is the weight difference because of my left leg/hip pain due to an auto accident in 2014. Before the accident I never owned my own bike but had a buddy with 3 GSX-Rs in his garage, 600, 1000, and a Hyabusa. Obviously he couldn't ride all 3 at the same time and he didn't like to ride alone. I spent enough time on the 600 for me to be chomping at the bit for the liter. Spent  some time riding the 1000 while chasing him on the 600 before he hopped on his Busa and we rode together for another 3 years. Now I only rode his busa a handful of times during this time, but had no issues. Since my wreck and being unsure of my riding ability, well ability to move the bike without power like backing out of the garage/parking space, or being able to shift constantly I bought a Suzuki Bergman 650. I did like the scooter, I could handle it around the garage without power and can lift  it off of the ground by myself if needed (524 dry weight). It just doesn't  scratch the same itch. I have been on a couple  of GSXR 600 since my wreck but I need/want less of a sport bike riding position. In comes this amazing deal on the new Kawasaki C14 that I really don't want to pass up. I realize it's a heavy bike, but since I plan on making some trips out of state to visit family in several different states the C14 seems like the almost perfect choice. Especially for the price. Also, this bike will also be my only official transportation so there will be plenty of in town miles also. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

Online Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: C14 and a slightly injured left leg/hip
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:48:49 am »
I'll comment on my experience coming from a Honda VFR800, about a 500 pound bike. It is classified as a Sport/Tourer like the C14 but that is where the comparison ends. Yes the C14 is heavier, and when I bought it (two weeks ago tomorrow) I was really concerned about the weight. 15 minutes on the bike and no more worries. Parking lot, around town, or on the highway this bike is easier to handle and maneuver FOR ME. I can't promise the same experience for you. And btw - I don't have the same level of injuries you have gone through but I did have my ACL replaced in my right knee last October, still not 100%.

I am the same exact height and the same inseam as you. My feet are flat on the ground. My bike did come with almost 3,000 miles on it so maybe there was a little settling in the suspension. It also has a Corbin seat but I don't think it is any lower than stocker. However that is a simple (but not cheap) option for a little piece of mind regarding the size.
Best of luck with you decision but I can tell you I have never been happier. Love this C14!
Rob
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline Jeff

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12267
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:57:26 am »
I have a 32" inseam and I had trouble reaching the ground flat footed.  That being said, there are a number of ways to lower the bike.  I think that would be my biggest concern for you.  If you have feet easily flat on the ground while sitting, it is much nicer for maneuvering.  you can either lower the bike or do what I did, had the seat customized. Lowered it and had memory foam installed.  This bike is awesome for traveling the country with plenty of power to have lots of fun doing it.  If you lower the bike I wouldn't worry about the extra weight.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »
If you're planning on doing alot of in-town commuting and buzzing from stop-light to stop-light - I might suggest a smaller/lighter/more agile bike.

Also, consider with your hip issue, that if you ever DROP the bike - you may never get it upright again without assistance.

Even without bags loaded, this thing is tough to upright for those that are vertically challenged, and lacking lower body strength.
Myself included.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:49:19 pm »
Buy the C14.   The price difference between the 2 bikes is minimal, weight is more with the C14 but you get a lot more with that extra weight.   C14s have proven to be extremely reliable also.  To make you feel better about your decision, there are a lot of old guys riding Gold Wings fully loaded with a passenger on the back, pulling a trailer.   Enjoy and welcome. 

Offline Redlion61

• Rusty Red Rider
  • Bicycle
  • Connie Forever!
    • Personal Website
  • COG#: 10098
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:00:39 pm »
Had a full knee replacement in December 2016. Rode all season last year with the C14, no issues. Mind you' I'm a big guy at 5 ft 10 265 lbs.
Chris Dupuis
IT Guy, 2012 Connie ZG14 Rider

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 01:04:39 pm »
Sirk, Ghostrider has a good point; {With your bad hip, a smaller/lighter/more agile bike will make the around town travels a lot more enjoyable..
Not quite the same grin factor when you grab a handful of throttle though...  ;)

Sooo, "buy  both".. <evil grin>

I'm one of the guys that lowered my Connie.
Not quite as tall as you, so the height/weight was too much for me. {"particularly" when I had the wife along}..
Adding a Lowering Link and shortened stand solved the problem. {easily reversible if I opt to raise it again}

T-Rex Racing has the Links and Stands available if you opt to go that way..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Smitty

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:34:06 pm »
I came from a Suzuki Burgman 650. While it is very functional it doesn't compare to the brute force of the C-14.  Weight wise, I don't notice much difference between the two.  However, the C-14 is a bit higher and takes a little more effort to move around while sitting on it.  I would also suggest lowering links to help you out with low speed manuevers.  Also, take a look at Steve In Sunny Florida's (SISF) Flash options, it will make the bike much more well mannered for around town riding as well as a monster when you want to crack the throttle, best of both worlds.  I don't think you will be disappointed pulling the trigger on the C-14.  Good luck!
'08 Kawasaki Concours ABS; Decel Flashed by SiSF ("Gazelleda")
'09 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive ("Super Scoot") [sold]

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:38:52 pm »
Sirk,

My 2 Cents.  I am 5-9 155 pounds. I rode the Versys 650 and 1000 before deciding on the Connie.  I thought the higher stance of the "Adventure" bikes would be nice in the city and do ok on longer rides but thought they were too tall for comfort while stopped and quite frankly liked the appearance and comfort of the Connie vs. the others.  My son has a '15 Connie and Busa which I also put time on before buying the Concours.  Power is another factor and the Connie allows the rider to apply what is needed for fun or whatever is needed on the road. I ride mine in most weather in Seattle traffic, notorious for bad driving nowadays, with no issue.  In particular I appreciate the fact that the fairing makes for a quieter ride, shielding me from wind noise, keeps most water, dirt and stuff off me and I get enough air draft to keep cool in summer.

It can be a challenge to pick it up but it is possible.  Whatever you do get tip over bars before you go out anywhere.  I use the TopBlocks from Murphs and there are several others that work well. 

I would be more concerned about your injury causing you discomfort if you select a sport type bike or anything that places you in a forward leaning, knees high and feet back position for extended periods of time.  Not to mention your wrists back and neck.  As you know, the Connie places the rider in a more upright position, not as much as the GWs, but for me it is very comfortable. 

The biggest concern I had with my Connie was low speed maneuvers like in parking lots. It seemed to buck and chug in first gear at low speeds and while trying to turn without leaning.  Getting the ECU flashed cured that issue among others and I am perfectly happy with the package today.

Hope this helps with your decision. 

Safe Travels!

Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 01:38:54 am »
Thanks, I'm really leaning towards the Connie. And everything that's been suggested was pretty much what I figured I should do to make it easier for me. Lowering, flash and tip over bars were #1 priority for either bike. I'm not real fond of the GW looks or riding position, a little too upright for me. Plus the price tag on them new, nope. The C14 just has too many features that the Versys lacked. All the long term reviews of the C14 that  I've read lead me to believe that the biggest reason people don't keep them over 100k mile would be accidents. If I could find a junked one just to drop and pick up that would make my decision making so much easier. I appreciate the replies. Hopefully my next post has something to do with my face hurting from a new ride smile.

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 02:53:02 pm »
Sirk, I just noticed your South Central.
  I'm in Houston...

We're going to Greenbrier Arkansas next weekend for the Horseshoe Mountain Rendevous. {Cliff's home}
  Would make a GREAT first ride... {hint, hint}   >:D

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 06:35:01 pm »
Lafayette, LA is where I rest my head. Arkansas would be a nice ride but I'm doubtful I will be on anything before the end of the month. Shoot, maybe I'll just finance the bike and use the cash to go on the trip. :/

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 07:06:00 pm »
I like the way your mind works...   >:D

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 01:08:36 am »
Well... I test drove a 2012 C14 today and I'm very disappointed! Disappointed that she isn't sleeping at my house tonight. My mobility concerns were slightly lifted when I sat on her and was nearly flat footed while it was on the center stand. They were completely gone when I got her off the stand and starting backing up from the parking spot. I had no doubt I could handle the bike under power. I'm in love! I need to do some homework on how to do title transfers when the owner still owes the bank. I'm trying to find reasons to not buy the bike just to make sure she is the ONE, but my mechanic buddy came with me to check her out and even he couldn't give me a reason. Bike still has original warranty until the end of May, being the owner bought a leftover 12 in 15. so I still have time to grab the extended warranty.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 01:23:34 am »
If you add the SISF flash it will be even easier to handle at parking lot speeds which is the most dangerous riding in my opinion. If I was 5'10" I would be looking for a different bike though. I'm 6'2" and I feel like the minimum height for low speed stuff is about 6 foot. Just my opinion but I'm 65 years old so age can matter also. These things are top heavy!!
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 02:16:01 am »
If you add the SISF flash it will be even easier to handle at parking lot speeds which is the most dangerous riding in my opinion. If I was 5'10" I would be looking for a different bike though. I'm 6'2" and I feel like the minimum height for low speed stuff is about 6 foot. Just my opinion but I'm 65 years old so age can matter also. These things are top heavy!!

Why am I still alive?... :(
19 years now...At 5'-3" I been handling a C10 and C14 just fine. C14 is actually easier for me.

Yes, I use a ladder to get on it. But on the road...who needs legs?   >:D
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? Try this => Road Rash Cartoon Book

Offline JaL3

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 09:29:08 pm »
Smitty, I have both the Big Burgie (2014) and C14 (2016). Burgman is used for commuting (surface street a.k.a. gas-brake-honk) and the Connie for everything else. Perfect combination, at least for me.

I also just sent the ECU to Ivan (http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ZG1400.htm) for re-flash and seat to Spencer (http://www.greatdaytoride.com/), can't wait to get them back.

I'm sure you'll be super happy with yours, Sirk!
Regards, Jay with 2016 ZG1400, Ivan's flash, seat modded by Spencer, Puig spoiler, Canyon Cages, Bar Risers, Rigid Industries aux LEDs, Switchback LEDs front and rear, Two Brothers Black Series Slip-On.

A skeptic that believes anything when provided with evidence.

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:36 am »
I just got my new to me C14 on Tuesday afternoon. I am glad I gave the Fat Ninja a chance because I'm already in love and I know I've barely scratched the surface of this bikes capabilities!

Offline Redlion61

• Rusty Red Rider
  • Bicycle
  • Connie Forever!
    • Personal Website
  • COG#: 10098
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 02:31:48 pm »
I just got my new to me C14 on Tuesday afternoon. I am glad I gave the Fat Ninja a chance because I'm already in love and I know I've barely scratched the surface of this bikes capabilities!

Trust me... 6 years with mine and the love is still as strong!!!
Chris Dupuis
IT Guy, 2012 Connie ZG14 Rider

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
  • COG#: 10420
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 04:34:56 pm »
I am 5'7" with a 29 inch inseam so you are tall to me. The only issue is that I can't back up the bike by pushing with my feet if there is any hill or much resistance from gravel. I take care not to park where it is going to be a hassle to get out. In general I don't pay much attention to where I park but avoid the obvious bad choices.
To me, the bike does not feel heavy once she starts to roll.
I used to have a C-10 and must confess I dropped her a few times. Never hurt her but there she was laying on her side. At 60 and not particularly strong I tried to lift my bike after she was laying on her side. Freaking impossible if you are doing it wrong. I could easily get her upright once I knew how. Ran into the house, found a YouTube video and presto. I also took a safety course and we had to lift a bike solo. The bike they used for us to lift was a BMW Police Bike. Not sure how much she weighed but it was a goodly amount. Look online and watch videos on how to do it. I was 64 when I took the course. The ladies in the course were able to get the BMW upright. It is technique not raw power that gets the bike up.
I added a 1 inch heel lift to my boots. Can't recall the exact price but it was cheap. It made my inseam as long as yours and it felt fine. I also have Canyon Cages 'just in case' and after 34000 km (just under 22000 miles) and I have yet to have needed them - insurance in case I mess up.
I have the EVO flash which makes the bike so freaking smooth. A friend took it for a spin and the first thing she said is "it is so smooth." I drove her 650 (Vulcan?) and I could not get over the lack of power. Colour me spoiled.
Oh, in case you have not guessed I love my bike.
15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 05:01:01 pm »
Sirk, congrats on the new Connie.
Previously (when you were looking) I invited you to come ride with us in Arkansas.
Time passed,,,,,,,,,

Now you have your new baby..
So, I'll invite you again.
The COGdom will be in Kerrville Texas July 11-14.
  "Come Ride With Us"...

Ride safe, Ted