Author Topic: C14 front brake rotors conversion from semi to full floating.  (Read 305 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
I am taking my C14 to the shop to have them look at front brake chatter/judder (happens around 40-60 mph). The brake judder has developed over time. The chatter is getting worse,  more so after new tires. I've taken all precautions to center the front wheel. To be honest, first time I had to "center" the wheel upon installation. There is absolutely no vibrations from tires. Andrew's http://andrewsmechanic.com/ garage is a top notch place for all your motorcycle needs. 
However, I would like to know if anyone has attempted to convert semi-floating brake rotors to full-float.
The reason I ask is because factory buttons (bobbins) are somewhat tight. I've tried to loosen them up, but since there is a pre-load washer at the back side of the rivet, it is virtually impossible to manipulate buttons free. 
I'd really appreciate if someone knows parts involved in such conversion.   

Cheers...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:43:05 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Re: C14 front brake rotors conversion from semi to full floating.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:04:06 am »
There are two main differences between full and semi floating disc's. The first is the spring washer you noticed, that's what makes them semi floating. The second is the additional noise made by full floating disc's. It's the reason street bikes are semi floating. The sole reason to float a disc is to allow expansion in all directions and unless the buttons are frozen (unlikely) I see no reason to change to full float except for hard core racing. The noise is loud and will drive you crazy. Even spirited street riding will not generate enough heat to Require full floating disc's. If you can move the disc's even a little the buttons are not your problem. Try a little penetrating oil or WD40 on the buttons but make sure it doesn't get on the disc itself and contaminate the brake pads.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: C14 front brake rotors conversion from semi to full floating.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:45:21 am »
Good info.   Didn't know the difference between semi and full floating.