Author Topic: Computer or ECU problems Need advice  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Computer or ECU problems Need advice
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:41:27 pm »
I'm new to the forum  (although I've been reading many COG posts for years since I purchased my 2010 Concours) so I hope I'm posting this in the correct place.  I have searched the interweb every way I know how and can't seem to find anyone that's had similar issues.

A month or so ago I noticed that my voltage reading  (on the digital display) shows 9.0 volts no matter if the bike is running or not. Using a multimeter I'm showing normal voltages, 12.7v or so when not running and about 14.4v when running. All electrical components seem to function properly so far so I know that the 9.0v reading is not correct. The other day, after some pretty cold weather passed through my battery bit the dust. When I replaced the battery I noticed that when I push the key in I still hear the clicking of the key unlocking, I can still unlock the key and turn it to the "On" position but the Kipass symbol does not appear on the display. AND, day before yesterday, on the way home the outdoor temperature was reading 64° (probably correct) as I pulled out of the parking lot at work. The temperature began erratically falling reaching as low as -4°. I know I was a little chilly since I rode through a storm and was soaked but I'm pretty sure if it was really -4° I probably would have been shivering at least a little.

This is what I've tried so far. I've removed and cleaned battery connections including ground wire to the frame. Unplugged digital display and the ecu and sprayed pins and plugs with contact cleaner. Checked all fuses that seemed relevant.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the ECU take the signals from the different sensors and relay that information to the display? Could this mean my ECU is going bad? If so I wonder if having the ECU flash (which I've already been considering) would help. Anybody here run into these type issues? I hate to just start buying parts, especially expensive parts, without knowing if it's actually going to fix it. I also hate to keep riding it knowing that if it is an ECU problem it could possibly leave me stranded far from home where there may not be any cell phone service. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Computer or ECU problems Need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:20:46 pm »
That is really weird! Sorry, can't help. The Flash by SISF is awesome though, so even if it does not fix the problem you will have more fun and satisfaction riding to the place where it leaves you stranded!

Prolly just some wonky silicon bits in the mix.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:54:07 pm »
There is a test for the meter in the 09 service manual for the voltage display.
Meter, Gauge, Indicator Unit
Check 12: Battery Voltage Inspection •Connect the leads in the same circuit as Check 11. •Push and turn the key knob to ON.
•1st, set the BATTERY display [A]. •Check that the display indicates the battery voltage
•2nd, disconnect the terminal [10]. •Check that the display changes 9.0 V within about 30 seconds
•3rd, connect the terminal [10]. •Check that the display changes the current battery voltage
within about 30 seconds. ○The tolerance of the voltage is ±0.4 V.
If the display function does not work, replace the meter
assembly.

It sounds like that connection is open somewhere. Corosion broken wire or as stated bad meter. Reading it is the easy part.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:55:47 am »
The procedure posted by Sailor Rich indicates that the voltage sensor is in the instrument cluster not the ECU.   So follow that procedure and see if the issue is wiring-related, which is much more likely, or in the cluster itself.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:27:22 pm »
A year or so ago, SISF ran into some hidden and difficult to analyze issues with voltage bleedoff, and weird unexplained gremlins.. in the end result it was that a connection in a plug in on one of the many plugs to ecu, and othentertiary devices, had dislodged itself, and an individual wire connection displaced itself from the actual plug it was retained in..

Id suggest going over all the "plug junctions" associated, unplugging them, and replugging them in, after pushing hard on each individual wire in said "plug", to insure its retained in place in the shell, and even repeating this action again, after plugging the shell into thedevicenit connects to.
A. Single wire can create a real nightmare when its displaced.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 11:10:25 pm »
what does othentertiary  mean,   Google does not know  :truce:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 11:33:20 pm »
what does othentertiary  mean,   Google does not know  :truce:

I think it's "other tertiary" here.  I interpret that to mean simply "other devices".  It's hard to define what devices are primary, secondary, or tertiary in this context but I think you get the drift.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:38:39 am »
If it's not Primary or Secondary then it must be Tertiary. Unless of course your riding a Quad. :??:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • COG#: 7914
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:20:48 pm »
Check your grounds to and around the IP. Clean and sand the ground and terminal connections to the battery.   
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000