Author Topic: C14 Growl at start up  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Active
C14 Growl at start up
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:52:00 am »
Good day; I purchased My 14 in November 07 and was Talking to a fellow with one last fall who had a growl when it started every time. It sounds like it's related to the variable timing. Low and behold mine was not doing it but I've reached the 15k miles now as he was about then and I now have the same start up growl. Has anybody else experienced this as I know you get more riding in down in the southern areas?      Richard  

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
C14 Growl at start up
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:13:00 pm »
I haven't really been listening that close, but I can tell you that I have to let the engine run for a few seconds before I take off when it is cold or it wants to bog down. I think it has to do with the start up enrichment controls of the ECM. It takes about 10 seconds of running or so before the engine seems to respond normally.    Both the cam chain tensioner and the variable valve actuator use engine oil pressure, so it is very possible that one of both of them is the cause of the growl you are hearing.      
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:33:00 am by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Rodney

• Tricycle
    • My Home Site
  • COG#: 8084
C14 Growl at start up
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:29:00 am »
Mine does for a couple seconds at startup also (most of the time).  I am relating it to the VVT as was stated above it uses oil pressure.  Don't remember that when I got it.  I think it started in the last 5,000 miles or so.  Not much, but noticable.  It quiets right down after about 2 seconds.  It is mostly noticable in the morning when I start it to go to work.  That is when it has been setting the longest and also the coldest.  
'13 Concours14  Have Motorcycle Will Travel

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
C14 Growl at start up
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:53:00 pm »
After paying a bit more attention to start up, yes my bike does it too, and has for so long that I don't even notice it anymore, and just consider it "normal".    I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. I believe it is the valve train, either due to no oil pressure on the cam chain tensioner, or possibly the VVT.  
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Stavee

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
C14 Growl at start up
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:54:00 pm »
I asked the tech at the dealer and he claims it is the timing chain tensioner. Also it is common to both the C14 & ZX14. My Bike has done it since new and I have noticed the time for the noise to go away is getting longer. The other thing is it is doing it on every start up now. I may need them to replace the tensioner by the next valve adjust. That should be at 46k mi.  

Offline photoman

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
C14 Growl at start up
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:58:00 pm »
I have a 2008 C14 with 3800 miles on it. Bought it 2 months ago with 1500 miles on it and I love it but have a Question. Between 2700 to 3200 RPM in any gear I constantly hear some subtle ringing or rattling noise coming from the front of the bike. Sounds like a bolt with a washer is loose. I searched many times for it but can