Author Topic: Would You Buy A Concours Again?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12722
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Would You Buy A Concours Again?
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 12:08:20 am »
I'm looking to get back into riding and I'm thinking about the Connie again.  I had a 2010 C14 and really loved it.  The only thing that I'm struggling with is no cruise control.  I rode a friend's with cruise and it was amazing.  I have to ride long flat roads to get to the twisties, so cruise is very attractive.

I looked at the FJR but it is slower...typical FJR rider is like, "It's plenty fast for me.  Why would you need more?"

Well, I need more.

So...would you buy the C14 again?  If so, what farkles would be your must-haves right away?

In a heartbeat! Had two C10s and got an opportunity on a 14 and wifey says why, you love your bike? I said I wanted it’s big brother and absolutely love it. I have owned a variety and would easily have another Connie in my inventory. PO was  farkle heavy so I got a loaded deal but to look at another ride, would have to be in addition, not primary.

My last bike - after the Connie - was a 2012 Ducati Multistrada...I would love to get back on one of those but don't have the extra $10k atm...
Honda MiniTrail 50, Yamaha GT 80, Suzuki TC 100, Yamaha DT 125, Kawasaki KZ 400 Ltd   Kawasaki KX 125, Suzuki RM250, Kawasaki ZX600,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#1) Suzuki Boulevard C50,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#2)

Offline TJ

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 11:31:00 am »
I hear people complaining about the weight. But what bike would you go to if you planned on riding 400+ miles for multiple days?

There are plenty of lighter bikes out there that would easily do "multiple 400 mile days" Some mentioned below I would actually go to before my C14.

Tracer 900 / FJ09
Versys 650/1000
Super Tenere
Vstrom 650 / 1000
Triumph Tiger / Explorer
BMW GS
BMW R1200RT
KTM Super Duke GT
Ducati Multistrada

All considerably lighter and easily capable of long distances, and in some cases actually better suited and more capable than the C14 to long distance riding. The C14 is a great bike, but there are plenty of options if someone wants a lighter machine.

I've actually been considering replacing the C14 for a Tracer 900 or Versys 1000.

Good choices.

I owned a Versys 1000 and liked it a lot. The engine is all rubber mounted as are the bars, do it is buttery smooth. Makes me wonder why more bikes are not built that way.

Versys 1000 with CC would be great. 

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #52 on: Today at 03:26:51 am »
Yeah I would buy another one IF it only weighed 500 lb otherwise I stuck with Big Bertha  :sign0066:

your comment is the exact answer of why I would not buy another one... it's not the bike, I love mine, and don't plan on selling it... first owner in Va., and one of the first ones Owned by a COG member...

it's just a damned heavy mofo... and as I age, pushing it around, in and out of the garage, I'm in panic mode for every second its being pushed.

after dropping it on me, trapped against a wall, and my trailer, in my garage a few years back... it simply terrifies me everytime I have to 'push this bike'..
Having crashed a few bikes in my life, and 'getting over it', within days mentally, the constant fear of having this bike laying on me on the ground, still haunts me.
Mybe I should start drinking again, ....naaaaa... that won't help anything.
Just want a bike 200# lighter.  I have one, and another one in the middle of the weight range.. but for a "new" bike......? I want an old enduro, from the 70's.
 :))
SO!!! The problem is not the bike but the old feeble owner. :'( Well welcome to the club!! Have had a bad year health wise and getting old. Still I looking forward when I can handle it again!! Working on it. :great:

Lets face it! The Concours ages better than we do. Right, Steve??
« Last Edit: Today at 03:29:57 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #53 on: Today at 03:36:05 am »
Wimps.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #54 on: Today at 03:47:12 am »
 :19: 
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #55 on: Today at 04:11:47 am »
Harry, sometimes it's not for lack of desire....I lost some Connie time when I had the stroke and then again when I tried blowing up my clutch hand. good thing is the wife said I could get three wheels when I can't hold up two anymore.   :sign0066:

(she might argue that)
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki