Author Topic: C14 Tupperware Removal?  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Adirondackjack

• Road Bike
    • Original Grip Buddies
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10997
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
C14 Tupperware Removal?
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:43:01 am »
Please forgive me if this has been discussed to death before somewhere here, but how difficult/involved is tupperware removal on a 2012 C14? I ask this because having just sold a BMW R1200RT  and having removed its tupperware a billion times, I never looked at that task as particularly difficult. Used to take me about 20-30 minutes to get all of the essential pieces off.
The big difference I can see is that instead of torx of one size on the Beemer, the Connie utilizes Allen heads of a variety of sizes.

So, any clues here would be appreciated, since this is farkle weekend and I am going to delve into the POD big time.

Looking forward to your input and thanking you guys in advance,

Dave R.
The Cure for Skinny, Uncomfortable Grips

Offline ProfessorKonk

• Street Cruiser
  • Best. Bike. Ever.
    • Hilson Creative LLC
  • COG#: 9466
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: C14 Tupperware Removal?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 08:27:17 am »
Taking her clothes off is not particularly difficult, but there are a few "tricks" to pay attention to.

If you study the various panels you can probably figure out how to get them off, but I can pretty much promise you'll end up breaking a tab or two along the way. There are a couple of "hidden" screws and plastic rivets that need attention.

There are some specific discussions here on the forum describing some of the bodywork removal tasks most likely to need doing -- the search tool will find them. The process is involved enough to make describing it meaningfully in mere words quite difficult.

There is no better resource than Fred Harmon's DVD maintenance series, which includes a detailed demonstration of removing/replacing the bodywork. IMO, every C14 owner should have these DVDs!    http://www.angelridevideos.com  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I have found these videos have saved me many times their cost by helping me to not screw anything up. If you love doing your own maintenance and customization, if you really want to get deep inside your Concours14, you want these DVDs.
So many farkles, so little time.

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8557
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:34:06 am »
2nd Freds DVDs. Will help keep you from doing this  :-[. Even if they are only for entertainment. :)
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592 SCAAD 74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »
The more experience you get with the fairing it appears to me the easier it gets. I would recommend having a few well nuts, nylon washers and screws of different sizes on hand to replace those lost, broken or stripped. I have not broken any tabs yet.

I bought a set of T-handle metric allens which in most cases make it easy to spin off a screw. The tool kit allens are handy for those hidden screws near the forks. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Adirondackjack

• Road Bike
    • Original Grip Buddies
  • COG#: 10997
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:40:53 pm »
All good suggestions. I actually own the Harmon DVD's, but haven't even had a chance to look at them. I will now. Got started part way last night in the wee hours, and plan to continue tonight. If it's anything like the RT, once you do it once or twice, it's a piece of cake. You just have to know a few handy little things, and you're all set.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am ready to carry on and turn the POD into a "Naked Bike".

Best,

Dave R.
The Cure for Skinny, Uncomfortable Grips

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:56:09 pm »
All good suggestions. I actually own the Harmon DVD's, but haven't even had a chance to look at them. I will now. Got started part way last night in the wee hours, and plan to continue tonight. If it's anything like the RT, once you do it once or twice, it's a piece of cake. You just have to know a few handy little things, and you're all set.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am ready to carry on and turn the POD into a "Naked Bike".

Best,

Dave R.

After owning a few BMW's myself, I would suggest that removing C14 plastic is equal to (or easier than) removing BMW (at least the ones I owned) plastic. The fun (at least to me) is to tinker and discover the best removal/assembly methods for myself. It seems to me that once you have owned a few motorcycles, many disassembly/assembly aspects begin to look the same (or similar). I never assume that the shop manual (or somebody's else's instructions) will be better than what I can conjure up myself. I compare it to following a cooking recipe... look at instructions for ideas, then figure out what works the best for your taste-buds.

You will find that after you disassemble/assemble few times, it becomes a snap to line up the tabs and panels. Even my wife (after watching me a few times) can remove/install the plastic now all by herself. But... she loves to wrench with me... other wifes may not be as interested... LOL...
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)
1967 Honda Cub (65cc)

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:43 am »
Have a few different sized plastic "pop rivets" handy as well.  And the tab breakage thing is true - and annoying.
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 02:21:20 am »

- actually , it would be really easy for a step-by-step photo guide to be created for this.

- eg , start with this bolt / this panel , then this bolt/pin , this panel , etc.

- it would be really helpful and am surprised no one has volunteered to do one here.

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 04:18:37 am »
The four most easily broken tabs are the measly, flimsy damn ones holding the two panels to the right and left of the gas tank.  These have 3 screws, but the two closest to the windshield have tabs that break just by looking at them.  And if those break, the rubber snug nut on the back side will fall off, and go down a portion of the fairing, and the only way to retrieve them is to take the mid fairing off, and shake it upside down.  What I did  instead of cursing at these all the time, is to put the screw through the hole, tighten the rubber snug nuts, and leave them like that.  The panel seems to stay tight enough with just the screw closest to the tank, and the pop rivet at the windshield.  Anyone have any better ideas, please let me know.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline DraftPigeon

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11822
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 12:48:11 pm »
The four most easily broken tabs are the measly, flimsy damn ones holding the two panels to the right and left of the gas tank.  These have 3 screws, but the two closest to the windshield have tabs that break just by looking at them.  And if those break, the rubber snug nut on the back side will fall off, and go down a portion of the fairing, and the only way to retrieve them is to take the mid fairing off, and shake it upside down.  What I did  instead of cursing at these all the time, is to put the screw through the hole, tighten the rubber snug nuts, and leave them like that.  The panel seems to stay tight enough with just the screw closest to the tank, and the pop rivet at the windshield.  Anyone have any better ideas, please let me know.

This just happened to me last night. First time removing the plastic. Pulled it off to install Canyon Cages and make the cuts so the lower fairings are removable without removing Cages. Both tabs on the left side broke. Also broke one of the rivets under the windscreen. Should have had my wife put everything back on...

Offline jdanruby

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12456
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:34:32 am »
I haven't watched or read any how-to manuals, but what I do is get the bike up on my lift table, I have the front tire on a 2x4 and the center stand also on a 2x4 to get enough clearance under the bike, then starting at the top storage compartment, 09', I take the top loose, then the side extensions and carefully remove the main body in one piece like you would on a race bike,, 15 minutes... easy... 

Jeff