Author Topic: Cam Chain & Tensioner (I think) Question  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Cam Chain & Tensioner (I think) Question
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2018, 07:09:00 pm »
The video shows much the same way that the workshop manual shows. The videos from FH show a different method, not using the single groove at the end of the piston, but catching the last of the saw tooth grooves. I have never done this before, but it sure worked well in the video from FH. When you play with the tensioner, it becomes obvious that any push on the tensioner piston from the cam chain will release the catch. With the piston protruding out an extra 3/8 inch, it seems just a little more certain that the piston catch will release. On the one hand, I wish I had a ton of experience to speak from, on the other, I'm glad that this is probably the last, or next to last time I will have to set these valves. It's a job. But what the heck, it's cold out, and the garage is heated. I sure don't trust my local dealer to do this.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Cam Chain & Tensioner (I think) Question
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 11:09:42 pm »
Not trying to change this to an "oil thread" but in my bike the oil seems to make a big difference. I was running Amsoil 10w40 for over 35,000 miles on my 2011 and got a buy on some full synthetic Motul 8100 Excess 5w40 recently. After 4,000 miles I had had enough of the startup rattle and poor shifting. Its not like it has been extreme temperatures here in southern Utah with temps between 40 and 70 degrees. 25% of the rattle with Amsoil if any rattle at all,  and much better shifting. I know its not just the oil weight since lots of people here run 5w40 Rotella T-6 without a worry. I'm just wondering how long their rattle is with Rotella though. I won't switch oil again after this. Summer temps here are over 100 degrees so good oil is important to me. My bike is always parked on the center stand so not leaning prior to startup.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:12:55 pm by Dirtwiz »
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.