Author Topic: Can not get the bike started  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Airtime

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Can not get the bike started
« on: January 05, 2015, 02:47:38 am »
Greetings.  Pulled to a stop, cut ignition and could not move from the off position to being able to start.  Batteries in fob are current? fuses look good, but just can't turn the switch to the start position.  Any advise appreciated.

Maurice Lewis
617-953-5771
mauricelewis43@hotmail.com

Offline raanan1234

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Can not get the bike started
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:19:29 am »
Greetings.  Pulled to a stop, cut ignition and could not move from the off position to being able to start.  Batteries in fob are current? fuses look good, but just can't turn the switch to the start position.  Any advise appreciated.

Maurice Lewis
617-953-5771
When the Battery in the FOB is low, there always notification coming on regarding it.
I'd check that the battery connections are not loose , and also the ignition fuse (it's located behind the battery.

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:34:57 am »
You might have the dreaded "stuck switch syndrome".  I had it twice several years ago.  There are several threads addressing this problem.  If the screen stays completely blank after you push in the stove knob key, try this.  Stab the stove knob VERY SHARPLY with your thumb several times. Hopefully you will hear a click and the keypass symbol will appear.  Some people have reported using a rubber mallet.  I hope you don't need the mallet,  thumb worked for me both times.  It has not happened to me in several years,  possibly because I adopted the regular practice of STABBING quickly instead of pushing the stove knob.  I can't know for sure.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:49:18 am »

Maurice Lewis
617-953-5771

Press and hold the stove knob down and then let your finger slide off the switch allowing it to snap back up sharply. Do this a few times and see if you can get the activation switch to break lose.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:03:43 pm »

Maurice Lewis
617-953-5771

One thing I've noticed is that the little switch that gets activated when you press the stove-knob down seems to be a bit cold-sensitive.  I'm sure it's due to some lube and/or gunk in the works that gets stiffer when cold.  I'm wondering if yours might be stuck due to some cold gunk or even ice if it's cold enough where you are.

In either case some heat might help things out.  Try a blow-dryer.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...