Author Topic: UPDATE-Differential cap off but now metal pieces all in the rear end casing.  (Read 572 times)

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Been working at this for over 8 hours today.  Cannot get the rear oil cap off the bike.  It's to the point now that the metal on the cap is failing and coming apart.  I've been curing the idiot that owned the bike before me and traded it in on a BMW in Chattanooga... if you, the previous owner, are on here, please contact me as I would very much like to ride up there to TN and slap you around like a rag doll for an hour.. you sir, are an idiot.  You hand tighten this thing.  This, along will all the other garbage I've had to deal with that you did on this bike.  Youre clearly a slob and a pig.  Not giving a rat's a** about how anything looks.  I don't know what to do at this point.  I had to miss work today because I couldnt get the oil changed.  Looking like tomorrow now too.  I've ordered a new cap but I gotta get this one off.  Soaked all day in PB blaster and I've tried everything... Washers with vice grips, two screwdrivers with washers and vice grips... either the metal on the tools fail or the metal on the cap gives but it will not break free.  Any thoughts? 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:02:11 am by William »

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Cannot get read end oil fill cap off.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:43:17 pm »
Do you mean the final drive fill plug ?   If so, I would crack it with a chisel in two places, 180 degrees apart.  I bet it will come off then.

If I was you, I would probably consider medication at this point, too  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:50:45 pm by IBAJIM »

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:44:01 pm »
Ok nobody laugh here.....how about icing the cap to try to shrink it a bit and then take a lug wrench that has the prying tip to put in the slot.  You can push on it pretty hard and also you will get more leverage when turning.  Watched someone do that once.

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
Well, this is my third C14 and i've never had to use anything more than a washer and pliers to get the thing off.  This one has been tighted so much it's almost welded on.  Gonna let my bro in law have a crack at it when he gets home.  I'm spent.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:08:49 pm »
You had to miss work why?   Did you drain it before you tried to remove the fill cap?  Just wondering. 
 Good luck man I know its aggravating but hang in there. Youll get it .
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:14:13 pm »
You had to miss work why?   Did you drain it before you tried to remove the fill cap?  Just wondering. 
 Good luck man I know its aggravating but hang in there. Youll get it .
Yes, drained it and then tried to unscrew the cap.  So it's empty and I cant ride till its done... and this is my only wheels.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
Re: Cannot get rear end oil fill cap off.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 09:56:51 pm »
Dont know what tools are at you disposal but im thinking if you can grind something . it needs to be a good solid piece of steel like a lawnmower blade or go to home depot and pick up a piece of flat steel, it has to fit the slot fully in width,thickness  and depth. then you can get a large crescent wrench on it an it will turn. 
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:13:02 pm »
Tap on it with a plastic or rubber mallet then try it.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 10:25:20 pm »
Tap on it with a plastic or rubber mallet then try it.
Done that... for hours... with PB blaster to loosen... nothing... the metal just gives or whatever I am using to torque it gives... cannot break it. Looking more and more I will have to trailer it to a dealer and let them at it and empty my bank account.  Ive literally been working on this since 10am.

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:33:02 pm »
Dont know what tools are at you disposal but im thinking if you can grind something . it needs to be a good solid piece of steel like a lawnmower blade or go to home depot and pick up a piece of flat steel, it has to fit the slot fully in width,thickness  and depth. then you can get a large crescent wrench on it an it will turn.

Yeah- I dont have the ability here to fabricate anything... I fit two wide screwdrivers together between two washers and then vice gripped it together... won't work... just tears up the metal cap and rips out.  I went to Home Depot to find a piece of metal that would fill the gap... not thick enough but seemed wide enough... however when got back it was about 1/16th too wide so useless.  Been waiting for bro in law to get home to take a swing at it.  If he can't, then I have no choice but to trailer it to the dealer and get raped.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:12 pm »
1/16? you have a file .. you can file that much off .
2008 C-14

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 10:50:06 pm »
Motion Pro 08-0087 Timing Plug Wrench

I bought this off Amazon to use. One leg fits the slot almost exactly and is curved like the plug slot. You can also use both hands.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 10:54:46 pm »
1/16? you have a file .. you can file that much off .
Tried...no working vice here so was not possible.

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 10:55:41 pm »
Motion Pro 08-0087 Timing Plug Wrench

I bought this off Amazon to use. One leg fits the slot almost exactly and is curved like the plug slot. You can also use both hands.
Thanks... may have to do this and just be stranded for a few days till it arrives... I could beat the hell out of the previous owner... this is the last straw with his garbage he left this bike in. 

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 11:02:39 pm »
You might borrow one from the local auto parts store. I bent washers and coins in vice grips and said bad words.... :)) That tool let me get on my knees beside the bike and use both hands like a lug wrench. Good luck.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 11:09:29 pm »
 Well it's over. I am royally screwed.  LIKE no way to come back from this.  So, finally got it off.. tapped and tapped to losen it and then back wall of the cap fell through and the screwdriver went in a bit.. was able to with as much force as I could muster then, torque it around.. it was almost welded on.  So, now, I have all those metal pieces down in my differential.  Working a $200 a week job and now this.  Im completely screwed.  Will have to be towed to dealer and they will bend me over and prison rape me.  I bough this 4K 2008 to save some bucks... its destroyed me now.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 11:29:21 pm »
Hate that for you. I've often gotten to the point where I sometimes think "I'm either going to break something or hurt myself if I don't stop" and it's SO hard to walk away for a while. I don't know, but any chance you can pull the wheel and hub off and clean it out and flush out the pieces from the other side? Maybe someone else on here will know.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 11:35:43 pm »
Hate that for you. I've often gotten to the point where I sometimes think "I'm either going to break something or hurt myself if I don't stop" and it's SO hard to walk away for a while. I don't know, but any chance you can pull the wheel and hub off and clean it out and flush out the pieces from the other side? Maybe someone else on here will know.
no clue.  was suppose to tackle changing the coolant tomorrow.. an all day task since the previous owner let that all but run totally dry.  Im screwed.  I don't have the tools or facility for this kind of garbage.  Wish I had never gotten this 2008. 

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
Ok calm down your not done yet man.   I belive you can reach in there with long tweezers and grab all the bits you can, ease the wheel around gently just a bit at get any more you see.. then go the other way a bit and do the same .. keep doing this till you get all you can . if you feel any resistance at all stop and go back the other way . take you're time here.  now start flushing with gear oil .. ( any thin oil should be ok though) fill and let drain .  fill and let drain. I really belive you can get it all out.. you may have to lay down under it or use a mirror to look up into the drain hole to see any thing. shine a light .  hang in there.. if your not comfortable then yes its dealer or mechanic time.
 maybe use some pinchers from the auto parts store or home depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy-Grabber-and-Retriever-PF0401/202505170

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:40:09 am by strum »
2008 C-14

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
After a few hours of flushing the rear out with oil and about a dozen tiny slivers and tweezing out three large pieces, I am praying I've gotten out all the metal fragments.  Now to find another oil cap around here... local place had to order... gonna tape it all closed and try to find one at a dealer within a few hours of here.  Hopefully, I will be back to my normal 15 min oil change after this.  Next up, to top off the coolant this week. I shudder at what could go wrong... body parts not fitting together correctly after disassembly?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
William, I think if it were me, I'd be looking to buy a used final drive off ebay just in case. They don't seem to be all that expensive either. That way if you didn't get all the shavings or pieces out you would have a way to get it going again somewhat quickly. Just a thought. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
William, I think if it were me, I'd be looking to buy a used final drive off ebay just in case. They don't seem to be all that expensive either. That way if you didn't get all the shavings or pieces out you would have a way to get it going again somewhat quickly. Just a thought. Tim

There's someone here parting out a 2012, reach out to him for the final drive, probably not worth more than $100 + shipping. I recall having great difficulty also loosening mine the first time too,- bent 3/4" washer in the first attempt.

OOOps, I see now the final drive has been spoken for, a few weeks ago, by Bugnut....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:16:42 pm by NYbiomed »
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
Maybe I'm cynical...  But how is a used final drive with unknown history better than what he has?  No guarantee there aren't shavings in the used one.  I'd rather clean out the one he has.  It's less expensive, and it's a known-working part.

Well, my take is that the final drive is not a known failure point, maintenance is easy and not required often...many also change the fluid with 3-5k oil changes just because its that easy. I think its a low risk proposition if the threads were all torn up in the removal process of the plug.

Here's one (albeit a few scratches) for $50:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-15-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-ZG1400-OEM-FINAL-DRIVE-HAS-MARKS-SCRATCHES-ZG7/122903896946?fits=Model%3AConcours+14%7CMake%3AKawasaki&hash=item1c9da4a372:g:qgcAAOSwLwBaU4TZ&vxp=mtr

and another for $40 with FREE shipping.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-2013-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-ZG1400-OEM-REAR-FINAL-DRIVE-DIFFERENTIAL/323292463934?hash=item4b45bb833e:g:eSgAAOSwpHpbGaIU:sc:USPSPriority!12528!US!-1&vxp=mtr

and another....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Kawasaki-ZG1400-Concours-14-Rear-Final-Drive-Gear-Differential-Assembly-131/323200185427?hash=item4b403b7453:g:pjsAAOSwQPtay7fR&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:31:40 pm by NYbiomed »
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
Flush it with cheap thin motor oil.  Keep flushing till it comes out clean.
Rotate the wheel as you flush and move the gears around to get a good flushing.

Refill with final drive when you think you've got it clean.

By my account, that final drive is pretty stout, and as long as you don't have a bunch of bigger chunks in there, it should be fine.
Long term, it might have issues - but for now you'll be back on the road.

Breathe bro.  You got this.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 12:29:48 pm »
Yes, I recall mine being on so tight that I damaged it during removal, as well.

In case you're not aware, the cap is physically compatible with the crankcase oil cap...  So I ordered one of those and used it on my rear diff.  Now it's easy to unscrew without tools  :beerchug:

Good tip!

Didn't think of this!
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...