Author Topic: carrying Water on the road  (Read 4818 times)

Offline 1gopokes1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
carrying Water on the road
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:08:16 pm »
Planning a trip to Spokane in Aug...it will be hot and with the heat my 09 puts out I want to maintain my  h20 intake

How do you carry water on the bike

1) mount water bottles to saddle bags??  will saddle bags crack??

2) camel pack....I don't enjoy riding with a pack on

Offline concfronc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Re: carrying Water on the road
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:33:04 pm »
My tank bag (Rapid Transit Recon 19) has a place for a camelbak water bladder but I normally just keep a 1 litre water bottle in the bag and refill it as nedded on the way.
Its not the destination, but the journey that matters
2011 Concours 14

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:19:14 pm »
The only time the heat from my 09 bothers me is stop and go traffic in triple digits temperate weather. If I'm running at highway speeds, the heat from the bike doesn't bother me.  The heat from the sun is what bothers me.

I wear insulated Danners which keep my feet warm in the winter. They also work to insulate the 09's heat at the feet. I have pants which are hemmed a little longer than normal to keep the pant leg over the top of my boots. This way the pant leg doesn't creep up and expose bare skin.  It seems to me the felt heat was reduced when I put a OEM windscreen for a 10 and above on the 09. I should double check this one day and put the little OEM screen back on.

The reason I put the later windscreen on my Connie was a attempt to raise the bug impact area on my face shield. Didn't work very well. Might have raised the bugs by 1/4".   

If I need to hydrate, I stop and get something cold. (and not sweet carbonated soft drinks or barley pop either) If using anything other than a camel back you are going to have to stop even if you are carrying water with you.

I've taken my 09 to Kansas three times North Central Washington in the summer. 

I have carried water in a tail bag on a day trip where space was not at a premium.

Have a good trip. TimR   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:10 pm »
I put 3 to 4 small bottles of water in my top case. You can put them in the side cases no problem. I refill them at rest stops or gas stations. I also wear a cool vest that I keep in a dry sack filled with water to wear when it gets really hot. Cools down your core temp. Does dry out after about 1.5 to 2 hours (depends on the outside temps) but I replenish the vest when I stop for gas and or food. I also wear summer weight riding gear that is armored, but made of a ballistic mesh that allows quite a bit of airflow in the pants and jacket.

You can also get your under garments wet when you stop to help cool you down.

Just got back from a trip through WA/ID/MT/OR/WA and high temps were 100 degrees at times. Generally in the high 80's to mid 90's in the afternoons.

I am always drinking as much water as I can in the high temps, I keep ahead of possible dehydration.

This is the vest I use, works great. There are many brands out there to choose from.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/45444/i/techniche-hyperkewl-evaporative-cooling-vest?colorid=303&sizeid=110&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CKmV2pSYvr8CFcnm7AodI3sAwQ
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MikeK

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:59:49 pm »
I use a Butler Cup mounted to the bike with a strap and the RAM self-leveling cup holder.  The Butler Cup has a nice straw and top combination that is specifically engineered for motorcycle applications.  Combined with Rostra Cruise it helps a lot to cool down and stay hydrated while on unimpeded stretches of road.

Offline Phil

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9813
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »
I purchased a small thermos from Wally World and pack with ice and fill with water. I carry it n my tail trunk saves having to walk N all those PLEASANT convenience stores????
Works GREAT 4 me.................................

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »
When I travel I have a small cooler I put in my top case. I use re-useable ice to keep my beverages cold. I can put food, some water and a beer for when my day ends. Wally World has some small ones for under 6 bucks.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Justin726

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 11:11:20 pm »
Rapid Transit 19 tank bag with a bottle of water.  Nice and simple.   :beerchug:

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 11:37:52 pm »
I use a Butler Cup mounted to the bike with a strap and the RAM self-leveling cup holder.  The Butler Cup has a nice straw and top combination that is specifically engineered for motorcycle applications.

Which size Butler Mug and would you post a photo of your setup?
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Phil

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9813
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 12:08:26 am »
When I travel I have a small cooler I put in my top case. I use re-useable ice to keep my beverages cold. I can put food, some water and a beer for when my day ends. Wally World has some small ones for under 6 bucks.
When U say re-useable ice I assume that's the one that come N a hard plastic container that you can freeze? Seems that would be difficult to re-freeze for next day? Tell me your plan I might just chg the way I'm doing it now.......

Offline Conjob

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10683
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 12:20:13 am »
I traveled to the National using a Camelbak Unbottle. Clips onto anything. I put it on my Wolfman bag behind me on the pillion and ran the hose through my jacket zipper pull. Worked pretty slick and held ice for about half a day in the Tennessee heat. Might try to insulate it better for longer days but refilling with ice at any gas stop is simple too. You can see the tube and the bag strapped to my back seat in this pic.

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:55:35 am »
I've recently upgraded my hydration to a Geigerrig Hydration Engine, which is basically
a water hydration bladder (2 liter) that can be pressurized so the water sprays/squirts out.
I put this bladder in the bottom of my (large) tank bag with a cut foam panel on top.
I lose a about half the tank bag, but it's a fair trade off for water 'on tap.

The Geigerrig bag also opens fully on top for easy cleaning... A bit pricey, but great investment at ~ $48.00
You can get a pack set up for the system, and strap it to the back seat too... longer hoses are available.  :great:
Daytona Mike introduced me to a similar set up at the BMWNEF Coolest Rally, and I was hooked.
Pressurized water will be nice when camping too...  so it's a multi-tasker!

http://www.compacc.com/p/geigerrig-pressurized-hydration-packs-hydration-engines?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp2773367&gclid=CL_Xiv7Qvr8CFQxp7AodFAYAJg

The tank bag has a hole for the hydration tube, and you can spritz a mouthful of water
wearing a full faced helmet with little issue (after a bit of practice).  This set up is great,
because you can spray yourself to 'refresh' yourself, and wash away sweat salt of your mug.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 01:38:49 am »
For long rides I drop  camelback bladder into the tank bag and can drink anytime it's safe to pop open the modular helmet.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:49:52 am »
The thing about camel backs is keeping the H20 cool. I carry a small (1 liter) thermos in my left bag ( right gets too hot). I fill it with ice water at the beginning of the day, and when the ice melts, or I need to fill it with water, I've never had a problem getting it refilled at any cafe, bar, or other watering hole. When the weather is hot, we stop about every 50-100 miles, and take a butt break, and glug down some water.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline fartymarty

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9712
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 04:30:29 am »
I have Ram cup holder mounted to my MCE saddle bag guard on the left side. In it I use a Contigo auto spout water bottle.  It has a straw internally so you don't need to tip it while drinking, the spout is protected from bug splats under a cover until you press the button to make it pop up. Before I had the MCE rear guards, I had the cup holder mounted to the left side passenger foot peg. I start out with water, but at the first gas stop of a trip I usually fill it with Gatorade. I also have a 32oz model Contigo bottle but it fits a little too tightly in the cup holder to use while moving.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:48:32 pm by fartymarty »

Offline br

• Bicycle
  • If you wana get fast, ride lots
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »
I also use a camel back in my tank bag it works just fine. It also stays quite cool. It's not how cool the water is, it's about hydration. Your body really does not care how cold the water is. It just wants the fluids replaced.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 12:23:16 pm »
I always carry and use electrolyte replacement tablets.

Offline Tundra Tom

• Street Cruiser
  • XLR8
  • COG#: 8925
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 12:54:26 pm »
See this thread on hot weather riding...
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,52711.0.html
"When my time has come I'd rather be in the Saddle then the Recliner"
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
1975 Norton 850 Commando
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Yes, I ride all four of them.:)

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • COG#: 7914
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 01:59:54 pm »
I just strap my CamelBak to my tank or to my tank bag.  The opening is big enough to get ice in it and its pack insulates well enough.  I don't like my water too cold. 

If you are so hot that you need cold water, you probably need a break in a cool place anyway.  You're wearing a cooler on your head that doesn't give up much heat.
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
Small cooler in my tailbag worked for me all the way to nor Cal and back . Most convenience stores will let you grab a cup of ice to refill it with along the way . I have to have cold water myself on a hot day and occasionally pour some over me if its hot enough .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:41 pm »
Yeh, youse guys are right about the water temp, but drinking hot water on a hot day, is ikky.   :friends:
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 08:25:30 pm »
I also use a camel back in my tank bag it works just fine. It also stays quite cool. It's not how cool the water is, it's about hydration. Your body really does not care how cold the water is. It just wants the fluids replaced.

I couldn't have said this better. If you do long rides on a bicycle the water bottles can be the same temperature as the asphalt. Ice is a luxury, hydration is what counts.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MikeK

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »
I use a Butler Cup mounted to the bike with a strap and the RAM self-leveling cup holder.  The Butler Cup has a nice straw and top combination that is specifically engineered for motorcycle applications.

Which size Butler Mug and would you post a photo of your setup?

Here is a picture. 

This uses the smaller 20 oz. Bike Butler mug.  Note even the small mug still is a bit wide for the cup holder and does not slide all the way to the bottom of the RAM swiveling cup holder, but it works well enough.  I tried other water containers like the Camelbak Eddy, but since I use a full face helmet I needed two hands to push the Camelbak's bite valve to my mouth.  With the Bike Butler mug, I can easily push the straw past the chin curtain when I am driving.  Another advantage to this cup is that it is insulated so I can drink and use ice though the capacity is only 20oz.  Also, it is spill proof.

I mounted the cup holder using a long RAM extension off of the steering stem bolt, which allows me to drive with the cup holder touching the center console so it does not block my view of the instruments, but also allows me to easily raise it when I need access to the console.

Being able to drink iced beverages while riding keeps me sharper and allows me to ride further comfortably.

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 09:42:35 pm »
Thanks!
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 08:59:21 am »
Led my little mc down to Elkins WV this weekend for some fun activities. It was in the 90s most of the time.

I wore my camelback the whole time coming and going, and it meant that I could have gone a full gas tank between stops. In deference to the group, I had more frequent stops both because some of the bikes can't do 220-ish miles on a tank as well as nobody else had a hydration system in use.

I do like cold water, and there are a few urban legends about cold water, but they are just urban legends. So before I left I had my camelback full of ice and in the freezer. By the time I needed to use it, I had ice water. Two hours later I had cold water.

That night I went to the vending room where the ice machine is, and filled it with ice (chipped ice, a whole lot fit in it) and put it in the little refrigerator in the room. When we left to come home the next day, thought the bike sat in the sun in the 90 degree weather for 4+ hours while we rode the train up into the mountains, I still had cold water in the camelback.

I've made two changes to mine. First, I put an insulated sleeve on the drinking tube, which extends from the mouth piece all the way up inside the body of the camelback. And second, I installed a filter where the tube attaches to the bag inside.

I don't even notice I'm wearing it most of the time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]