Author Topic: CATALYTIC CONVERTER REMOVAL - anyone done it? beneficial or waste of time?  (Read 805 times)

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
CATALYTIC CONVERTER REMOVAL -  anyone done it? beneficial or waste of time?

i have only talked to one guy who did it, and he said it was a definite improvement in perceived acceleration. Im looking for more opinions before i do it. I know there will definitely be less heat from the underside of the bike which is always good but what about power? the cat material is dense lead like material and i cannot see how it woulnt be restrictive.....

anyone here with a cat-less c14 header? thoughts? cheers  :motonoises:

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
Cowie,
BTDT, Was a small boost to power. Nothing like a full system though. In order to get real power increases with these newer bikes you need to retune them. Steve's flash will do that in spades without having to modify ANYTHING. Or you can go all out like I did and go full exhaust system and retune for BIG gains.
The newer designs of converters are not nearly as restrictive as the older 3 bed versions were, likewise the gains from removing them are much less.
Matt

Come down and ride Poison Ivy, You'll go for the gusto after a spin on her!
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
Hey Matt, thanks i would love to!

I do have steves decel flash, and just looking to get all i can out of it with what i have..... 

Offline Spiderman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12420
I decatted my 2010 this winter. I did it the right way by cutting the collectors apart and removing them. There are 2 cats per collector that are bonded to a tube that is welded to the collector. After getting it all apart I went to our local muffler shop and got apiece of pipe 2&1/2 `` dia. and cut to fit inside the collector and welded it all back together. No one can tell it was ever been apart. There were some good pictures on the forum a couple years ago that some member did it that way. What ever you do don`t take a rod of some type and try to mash them out. You will just make a big mess. Sorry Matt.  I have a K&N air filter and a 2 Bros. muffler and Steves decel flash. I have noticed no difference in driveabilty  after removing the cats . If any thing a little more rush from about 6 grand a up to red line. Yes its a little bit louder but not much.I waned it to sound like a super bike  with out spending a ton of money for a complete system. And by the color of the exhaust it appears to be rich enough . I use only 91 ethanol FREE fuel. :)

Offline Dan

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Any update on this? I have an '08 and I'm looking to cut out some heat. I don't care so much about the performance of the bike, but I'd love to know if removing the cat helped alleviate any of the heat coming up from below.

Offline Deepsea

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10376
Has everyone lost the skill to do a simple search ? This has been covered multiple times. For the 08/09 you can save a little on the heat put wrapping the pipes does more. Flow Bench data showed a negligible difference before and after removing the cats.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Dan

• Big Wheels
I did a search, but the search function is mediocre at best. Sorry to have bothered you so much.

Offline Wizeguy

• Road Bike
  • Closet Hooligan
  • COG#: 12487
Has everyone lost the skill to do a simple search ?
  Probably equals those who have lost the skill to extend a polite, constructive suggestion.  :great:
Mike B / Seatac, Washington
1989 C10 "Gigi"
Former COG#6624

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum

Insulation blanket, on the underside of the tank along with the thick neoprene inserts for blocking engine heat through the lower fairings sold on ebay for $50. Big difference on my '09...
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...