Author Topic: Center Stand Removal  (Read 488 times)

Offline jas

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10108
  • Membership Level: Active
Center Stand Removal
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:16:01 pm »
I was thinking about removing the center stand from my 2011 so that I could get it media blasted and then powder coated (it is getting a bit rusty).  I figured how hard could it be....two bolts and that's it.  I took a quick look in the service manual.  It states you have to remove the "muffler body", jack up the rear wheel, remove the lower tie rod bolt, lower rear shock bolt, bolts "A", spring (B) (center stand spring), and then the center stand bolts.  Has anyone removed the center stand?   Do you really have to remove everything as stated in the service manual?  I took a look under the bike...  I can see removing the muffler to get a socket on the center stand bolt on that side.  After that, both bolts are accessible. There is obviously more to it than meets the eye!  Thanks for any info...

Offline SpeedyCoop

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12609
Re: Center Stand Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:20:37 am »
I removed my centerstand by holding the nut on the backside of the frame bracket with a 90 degree needlenose pliers. It worked for me, otherwise you have to do it as stated in FSM. There is limited room to access the nuts.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:09:47 pm »
It has been awhile since I did mine,,, but I remember it as; just removing the Stand bolts that you mentioned..
I do suggest securing the bike to a table and raising the rear...

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline jas

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 11:41:10 am »
Thanks...  I just went out and looked under the center stand with an inspection mirror.  I do see the nuts holding the other end of the bolts holding on the center stand.  Yes, very tight under there.  I will see if I can get something on the nuts to hold them while I loosen the bolts on the outside.

Offline jas

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:48:30 pm »
Got it off!  Once the outside bolts were broken loose, I was able to hold the inner nuts with a pair of needle nose pliers.  Just knowing that someone got this off without performing all the steps identified in the service manual was all I needed.  Thanks!