Author Topic: Cheap & "easy" passive fob spare - no KDS required  (Read 1148 times)

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
  • Membership Level: Active
Cheap & "easy" passive fob spare - no KDS required
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:39:50 pm »
PSA from the other forum:

I found this video last week that explains how a car key as a passive fob is done and shows it working. No KDS required as it clones the RFID chip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdaFCRSicGM
  Unfortunately, he doesn't say which key blank to use and didn't respond to that question in the comments. I've tried contacting him but no luck. I've gone to 2 Denver area Ace Hardwares in the last week and after explaining to the clerks what it was all about they both checked with someone more experienced or a manager and was told, "no, we can't do it". Didn't even try to help find a key blank that would work. Maybe someone else can find a more helpful "think outside the box" Ace Hardware. I've got one more to try up in the foothills that has been more helpful in the past. If I get up there this weekend I'll see if they will try.
I had a qualified locksmith clone my one & only fob a while ago.  He used an Ilco TK100 which looks like the one in the vid.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Cheap & "easy" passive fob spare - no KDS required
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 04:51:54 pm »
This is a video I put together about 2 yrs ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsPbR3aoT8
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 04:59:01 pm »
This is a video I put together about 2 yrs ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsPbR3aoT8

Do you know what part number key was used?
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:56:09 pm »
I tried this here in Casper, and I couldn't get past the blank stares from the people who program the chips.

"You wanna do whaaaat?"

I've given up.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Please buy my Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:55 pm »
This is a video I put together about 2 yrs ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsPbR3aoT8

Do you know what part number key was used?
No clue buddy, but I will look into it tonight and let you know.
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 01:23:22 pm »
Thanks. I’ve tried this before as well and I have yet to be successful. If I can walk in with the part number maybe that will get me over the finish line. The locksmith shop I took it to, and this is a legit locksmith shop, not a hardware store or anything like that, couldn’t even get any kind of reading at all off of the fob.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:36:32 pm »
PATS are Ford transponder keys from the late `90s into the mid 2000s
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:25 pm »
I had fairly good luck with this.  I brought the passive fob to the locksmith. He read it and was able to program a small chip with the same code.  Worked perfectly.

Lessons learned from this expierience, Do Not Purchase a Blank ahead of time.  I did this and it was a waste of money!!  Yes I bought the same Ford key that was in the video.  The problem was that my local locksmith could not program the brand of blanks that were in the video.  His programmer, as well as most of those used by others are specific to the manufacturer of the Blank Chips.  Cost was abt $40.00 programmed and out the door.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:16:33 am »
What brand and part number key was it, please? A lot of us aren't having much luck getting a locksmith to try this. I did try a locksmith after the Ace Hardware failures and she didn't have right equipment to read my fob. Thanks!
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 01:06:40 am »
What brand and part number key was it, please? A lot of us aren't having much luck getting a locksmith to try this. I did try a locksmith after the Ace Hardware failures and she didn't have right equipment to read my fob. Thanks!

read my post above, #7

they ain't cloning a key, per se, just a blank 'chip'.... which you can glue to anything, and carry it with you.

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 03:41:18 pm »

read my post above, #7

they ain't cloning a key, per se, just a blank 'chip'.... which you can glue to anything, and carry it with you.

True MOB; however, I also had my locksmith cut that key to work with all my Connie's locks. Hence, it's a pretty cool spare to have :)
Best,

JD

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 07:39:15 pm »

read my post above, #7

True MOB; however, I also had my locksmith cut that key to work with all my Connie's locks. Hence, it's a pretty cool spare to have :)

Thats cool, I was just responding to the request of "what key with a transponder, was used as a blank transponder to recieve the coding", not necessarily what blank could be cut... as blanks usable as a 'key' only, may be common... a blank that can be coded, not so much....

when you do get around to identifying which one you got, do let us know, and I'll make sure it is put into the archives, and made sticky...

I was just giving the info that the passive chip, by it's self, is pretty easily done, by what I'm finding on the net.

also, the passive chip in an active full blown FOB, can be 'popped out' and used for 'coding' another chip, I think maybe the people (Staylo, as he didn't say which FOB he attempted to clone) that were having no luck getting that 'chip' read by the places they went to, may have to remove the chip from the active FOB, and have it copied by it's self; the active FOB may be interfering with the actual chip reader trying to process it... It pops right out, and can be replaced, with no issue...

Offline MtnRider

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 08:12:38 pm »

read my post above, #7

Thats cool, I was just responding to the request of "what key with a transponder, was used as a blank transponder to recieve the coding", not necessarily what blank could be cut... as blanks usable as a 'key' only, may be common... a blank that can be coded, not so much....

when you do get around to identifying which one you got, do let us know, and I'll make sure it is put into the archives, and made sticky...

I was just giving the info that the passive chip, by it's self, is pretty easily done, by what I'm finding on the net.

also, the passive chip in an active full blown FOB, can be 'popped out' and used for 'coding' another chip, I think maybe the people (Staylo, as he didn't say which FOB he attempted to clone) that were having no luck getting that 'chip' read by the places they went to, may have to remove the chip from the active FOB, and have it copied by it's self; the active FOB may be interfering with the actual chip reader trying to process it... It pops right out, and can be replaced, with no issue...

But, as I stated in the first post, "I've gone to 2 Denver area Ace Hardwares in the last week and after explaining to the clerks what it was all about they both checked with someone more experienced or a manager and was told, "no, we can't do it". Didn't even try to help find a key blank that would work.". They won't even try to read the fob let alone clone a chip, in or out of a key. This is a common reply in the comments for the videos even for some locksmiths. The one area locksmith I tried didn't have the right type of reader for the fob.

Also as in the first post, Freddy stated he was successful with an Ilco TK100 blank for the RFID chip (for the sticky). He didn't state if he had the key duplicated or if it worked in the locks. I'll ask over there.

I'm hoping JD can supply the JMA part number as I like that key better with its corner mounted chip and that the key will work in the locks, too. If so, I'm going to try a different locksmith that looks to have better capabilities on Saturday.
2015 Black C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:40 pm »

But, as I stated in the first post, "I've gone to 2 Denver area Ace Hardwares in the last week and after explaining to the clerks what it was all about they both checked with someone more experienced or a manager and was told, "no, we can't do it". Didn't even try to help find a key blank that would work.". They won't even try to read the fob let alone clone a chip, in or out of a key. This is a common reply in the comments for the videos even for some locksmiths. The one area locksmith I tried didn't have the right type of reader for the fob.

Also as in the first post, Freddy stated he was successful with an Ilco TK100 blank for the RFID chip . If so, I'm going to try a different locksmith that looks to have better capabilities on Saturday.

I'm hearing ya,

the first place I linked to above... gave locations for their registered service places, and when I punched in Denver... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
 I got these...
https://www.popalock.com/franchise/denver-co/locksmith-home

https://www.popalock.com/franchise/fort-collins-co/locksmith-home

https://www.popalock.com/franchise/loveland-co/locksmith-home

that's 3, that popped up, franchised to PopALock,
the company that says they CAN clone... I bet they have keys also...

save a trip, call them and find out their capabilities.

best of luck, I'm going to find one local to me, and ask them also... might be beneficial...

Offline MtnRider

• Training Wheels
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »
Thanks, MoB. Didn't look far enough into the link originally to locate the local dealer. I'll try the Denver one, if the locksmith close to the house doesn't work out. He's not Popalock but has great reviews.

Leo
2015 Black C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 09:04:20 pm »
Thanks, MoB. Didn't look far enough into the link originally to locate the local dealer. I'll try the Denver one, if the locksmith close to the house doesn't work out. He's not Popalock but has great reviews.

Leo

I had to go look, just too see for myself...

you do have to navigate from that main page to find 'locations', but the 3 I supplied to you ALL do chips, and chipped keys, and transponders... so, that's a sure bet for you... (each location site needs to be explored by the sub section on 'services').. some don't show chips, my local one in Cleveland does not show chips, but the one about 45 minutes away does, so I may speak to them...
best of luck.. I really hate running all over the place trying to get people to give answers to simple stuff they could easily answer over a phone call, so that's my plan here....

for other states, here's the location list, and as I noted, you have to bring up the location, and see exactly what services they can provide (under automotive)... some do them, some don't, so it saves time.

https://www.popalock.com/franchise/

I thought of them because the Ohio company I worked at, used them for all the electric door key/card coding, and also had ..... transponder units with ......CHIP code passive FOB's made, for the Towmotors, to prevent unauthorized users from operating them... after someone drove one off a 5 foot high loading dock into the parking lot, and onto 2 cars... (which required a crane to lift it off them...) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
 :-\ :)) :)) :)) :-\

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 11:34:29 pm »
I have the answer!! I went to a locksmith to have this very thing done. He popped out the chip in my big fob and read it. I told him it should be formatted like a Ford. He said it looks to be that way, except on the screen his software could actually read it as a Kawasaki. The aftermarket chip that accepts the programming format is a JMA TPX2 glass encapsulated chip. There you go MOB. We got it to work on my bike, except I didn’t have the cash to actually take the chip home. Things came up and I forgot about for a couple weeks. Went in to ask about it and he had it sitting there. Said he’d clear it for me if I still didn’t have the cash. I just haven’t gone back to buy one of my own.

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 12:32:57 am »
Perhaps this is where the problem was at the locksmith I took my fob to. I was under the impression that it was possible to, or we were trying to, clone the active fob, so that’s what I took him. He took the entire fob and tried to read it and got nothing. It sounds like the active portion of the fob was interfering with the passive portion of the fob, and the passive portion was what should have been cloned. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to take the passive “wallet key” to the locksmith and have him clone it. It would be really nice to have an RFID key that could be cut to open the bags and the gas cap. I will try again with the passive “wallet key” and see what happens. Thanks everyone.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline MtnRider

• Training Wheels
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 01:44:50 pm »
Thanks, Syxxphive!
2015 Black C14

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 01:58:53 pm »
I have the answer!! I went to a locksmith to have this very thing done. He popped out the chip in my big fob and read it. I told him it should be formatted like a Ford. He said it looks to be that way, except on the screen his software could actually read it as a Kawasaki. The aftermarket chip that accepts the programming format is a JMA TPX2 glass encapsulated chip. There you go MOB. We got it to work on my bike, except I didn’t have the cash to actually take the chip home. Things came up and I forgot about for a couple weeks. Went in to ask about it and he had it sitting there. Said he’d clear it for me if I still didn’t have the cash. I just haven’t gone back to buy one of my own.

Sounds like a good plan.
What is the cost of the JMA TPX2 glass encapsulated chip?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 02:47:38 pm »
I was quoted $75 for the chip. You might able to find them cheaper online, but no guarantee that’s what you’re gonna get.

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 02:49:31 pm »
Perhaps this is where the problem was at the locksmith I took my fob to. I was under the impression that it was possible to, or we were trying to, clone the active fob, so that’s what I took him. He took the entire fob and tried to read it and got nothing. It sounds like the active portion of the fob was interfering with the passive portion of the fob, and the passive portion was what should have been cloned. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to take the passive “wallet key” to the locksmith and have him clone it. It would be really nice to have an RFID key that could be cut to open the bags and the gas cap. I will try again with the passive “wallet key” and see what happens. Thanks everyone.
Yep. Take the wallet key. Or have them actually pry out the little chip in the big fob.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:01 pm »
I was quoted $75 for the chip. You might able to find them cheaper online, but no guarantee that’s what you’re gonna get.

great job, and good info, I'll stick it up somewhere for future use, and link to where it lives.

I had a funny feeling about those that couldn't get the transponder to 'read', and figured popping the chip out would remove the active signal from the active FOB from the equation... just as you found..
it pops out, easily, so it's a simple thing.

it is encapsulated in plastic tho, to prevent damage.

as for chip prices... a chip is a chip, they are all pretty much equal when you know the p/n.

I see they run about $10 each... so the locksmith is making his profit on it for sure.. hope he doesn't charge an additional fee, to 'press a button and clone it'... sure... that would be a bend over moment for sure...seeing as a passive card key, which still needs to be programmed to the KDS/ECU runs $39 from Kaw..    cloning a chip makes it simple, as it's a clone of an existing ECU recognized chip. A winner all around, as you don't loose a 'key' code slot in the ECU for it.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 10:42:40 pm »
As I said in my post the JMA TPX2 blanks may not work in a non JMA programmer.  They did not work in my local guys programmer.  He read my passive fob and programmed a chip that he had to work.  I purchased a couple of blank JMA blanks for abt $15.00 each but they were worthless with the locksmith I used.

Fred
Wa2gzw