Author Topic: Clunky Brakes  (Read 194 times)

Offline antibus

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
  • Membership Level: Active
Clunky Brakes
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:58 am »
I know this topic is on the forum somewhere, however I can't find it so please kindly direct me to the correct place. The issue is the brakes on my 2012 C14. To me they feel clunky whereas the brakes on my 05 Vstrom with over 100k are smooth as silk (I understand they are two very different bikes). When braking I use both front and rear. If I only use the front or only the rear the braking is much smoother, however stopping power is not as great. I prefer to use both front and rear brake each time as I would in a panic stop however I find myself tempted to only use one as the feel of my braking system is disappointing on a bike that has so much else going for it. I have spent the past few years adjusting my riding style presuming it was a skill issue on my part. If this is not a skill or riding style issue on my part I would presume the issue is the linked brakes as in addition to the awkward handling of the bike I can feel pulsating between my rear and front brake levers (This is not ABS activating)

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated.
CDA #0542

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Clunky Brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:25:17 am »
I believe you are experiencing the LINKED BRAKES activating.  Newer models, 2015+ I believe, have a more refined linking setup but the "clunky" feeling is typical. 
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Clunky Brakes
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:19:24 pm »
agree with JWH20; I have a 2012 as well; same feel, clunky, it feels they are not kicking in, all of a sudden bam! they grab on. Unfortunately this is "normal" for this bike and generation it seems, unless MOB or Matt want to correct (feel free if I'm wrong).

I like using both brakes as well, but I'm already used to it, I can even almost predict, based on pressure on my lever, when will they kick in hard.
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--