Author Topic: Clutch Insights  (Read 368 times)

Offline barberman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clutch Insights
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:58:08 pm »
Morning,  My 2012 14 has had that pesky, P.I.T.A. clutch bleeding problem since I bought it last March.  I did like 6 complete flushes, and bled like I was gonna' bleed out doing it. Two things I noticed were when I'd pull the clutch in -in gear, and revved it slightly, i could hear the driveline getting power (wanting to pull) Indicating more bleeding... I also noticed a bit of a "bump" when releasing the clutch on a downshift or hard excell. So after reading here that the clutch leaf torque springs may be compromised, I decided to open it up and replace them. But after close inspection I realized the torque springs weren't broken at all.  Well, when you remove the clutch cover inside (pressure plate) - the pressure is released from the clutch push rod and hydraulic pressure wants to push it out farther than normal.   Turned out that after pushing it back in a couple times (then re assembly) the clutch pressure was totally gone. So I bleed the top res. bleeder and get nothing. So I bleed the lower clutch slave cylinder -ONE pump, and the clutch comes back firmer than I've ever felt it. Now that little bump I used to feel is gone. And the clutch dragging is gone totally.  SO, my conclusion here is that I believe that slave cylinder can hold air more than regular bleeding can remove (even w/ a pump!). KJ

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Clutch Insights
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:47:46 pm »
Glad you got it worked out but im wondering if the slave was sticking on you. I mean maybe the piston wasn't going all the way back and after your pushing on the it from the other side via the rod it unstuck.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline barberman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Clutch Insights
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:49:22 pm »
Strum, Sounds good to me. Thanks,KJ