Author Topic: Clutch issue  (Read 243 times)

Offline Fixxer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clutch issue
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:18:26 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone else has had the problem that I'm currently experiencing right now with my 2013.

The problem is that my clutch is somehow slowly bleeding down over time. The dealer looked at it the first time, and deemed that the master cylinder was at fault. This was replaced under my extended warranty about a year or so ago. All was good after that.

However, the same problem is back again. I have not been riding for a few weeks due to a medical issue. Over that short time, the clutch went down almost to the grip. I have since bled the master cylinder using a MityVac, and it restores the clutch, but only for a week or so. If I let it sit, I can feel the clutch slowly losing pressure over the week.

For clarification, I have Helibar Horizon handlebars on my bike. The dealer said the brake/clutch line extensions supplied with the kit *may* be the source of the leak down, but they weren't 100% sure. To eliminate this as an issue, I have ordered a set of +6 Galpher lines which I will have installed at the dealer when I take the bike in for this issue again.

There are no obvious signs of leaking anywhere in the clutch system. The master cylinder is new, and the fluid level is steady. Obviously, air is getting into the system somewhere. Anything else I should be checking or pointing out to my dealer? Has this happened to anyone else with Helibar Horizons? Thanks for any input or ideas.
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Online jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Clutch issue
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:16:22 pm »
If the problem is at the slave end the fluid can leak out into the engine and you'll not see the leaked fluid.  You didn't say whether or not the fluid is disappearing.  But most of the time air enters the system from the top since gravity keeps fluid pressure against the seals in the bottom which keeps air from coming in.

I'd first check all your fittings especially any you added with the handlebar extensions.  Also check the fittings to the master and replace the sealing washers and re-torque. 

After that my next suspect would be the master itself.  Problems with the master cylinder don't seem to be common on the C14 but it's always a possibility.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Fixxer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Re: Clutch issue
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:12 pm »
jwh20,

I briefly mentioned that the fluid level has been steady. The dealership mentioned the last time that the line extensions that Helibar uses for the front brake/clutch *may* be the culprit, so that's why I went ahead and purchased the +6 Galfer lines this time.
I will mention the sealing washers/torque when I go back in.

Yeah, I don't know sometimes. I had the exact same problem with my front brake, and it turned out to be the master cylinder there, too. FWIW, my bike has 24,000 miles. Always used DOT 4 as recommended. I never owned a bike where I had to replace both the front brake AND clutch master cylinders.

Thanks for your advice!

Steve
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue