Author Topic: clutch issues  (Read 1432 times)

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: clutch issues
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 10:40:27 pm »
Thanks,
I will try it and let you know. My last resort is cutting it off. I have ordered a new one. Don't want to go that route.

STOP

PUT DOWN THE TOOLS...
STEP BACK....

Never use the words "cutting it off" ever again, in regards to motorcycle maintenance or mechanical repairs...

you will be banished to the land of eternal fire and damnation...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 02:04:23 pm »
Well heck. I guess I was right. I have heard of a few breaking but not to often. No one listens to me anyways.

Just to keep everyone updated, it is a broken star spring. Pulled clutch cover and basket cover, it was wedged in, stayed inside basket which I'm thankful for. I'm this far into it, should I do new plates? 23000 miles. Thanks!

There is an issue where you feel whats called a 'Double Bump' feeling in the clutch lever. This is caused by a broken star spring in the clutch/basket area.
It is not a common failure but I have heard of it happening in the earlier models.
If you shift kind of quickly (release the lever fast) and you feel feedback (Double bump is what most people call it)  in that lever then most likely you do have a broken star spring.  A broken star spring causes the clutch pack to 'rattle' back and forth in the clutch basket.
If so it is not to hard at all to fix but don't wait. Some of the broken star spring  parts can get embedded in clutch components that you dont want it to. Most of the time they just crack at first and later on break apart.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11978
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 01:41:54 pm »
Well heck. I guess I was right. I have heard of a few breaking but not to often. No one listens to me anyways.

Just to keep everyone updated, it is a broken star spring. Pulled clutch cover and basket cover, it was wedged in, stayed inside basket which I'm thankful for. I'm this far into it, should I do new plates? 23000 miles. Thanks!

There is an issue where you feel whats called a 'Double Bump' feeling in the clutch lever. This is caused by a broken star spring in the clutch/basket area.
It is not a common failure but I have heard of it happening in the earlier models.
If you shift kind of quickly (release the lever fast) and you feel feedback (Double bump is what most people call it)  in that lever then most likely you do have a broken star spring.  A broken star spring causes the clutch pack to 'rattle' back and forth in the clutch basket.
If so it is not to hard at all to fix but don't wait. Some of the broken star spring  parts can get embedded in clutch components that you dont want it to. Most of the time they just crack at first and later on break apart.
I am still waiting on parts to fix. Ordered two weeks ago.

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 01:38:40 am »
Bike is back together with no issues. Not happy having to wait two weeks for parts, oh well. New clutch cable, new fluid, new slave cylinder, new star springs, new oil and filter. Now for some nice weather!

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 02:18:35 am »
2009 ABS. New clutch "Cable"?????
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 05:29:10 pm »
I knew someone would catch on to that! New clutch line, Galfer SS braided. :beerchug: