Author Topic: Clutch Lever Tension adjustment  (Read 674 times)

Offline richagpalmer

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clutch Lever Tension adjustment
« on: April 25, 2018, 03:22:50 pm »
Is there a way to adjust the tension of my clutch lever ?
I have a 2012
Not looking for distance to my handlebar...
My wrists get tired from using the clutch and would like it to be easier to pull in.

Thank

Offline JaL3

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Re: Clutch Lever Tension adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:49:58 pm »
Since it's hydraulic (like both front and rear brakes), the short answer is no.

Longer "answer" would include changing master or slave cylinder, getting longer lever or weaker clutch springs. Those would of course increase the risk of clutch slippage.
Regards, Jay with 2016 ZG1400, Ivan's flash, seat modded by Spencer, Puig spoiler, Canyon Cages, Bar Risers, Rigid Industries aux LEDs, Switchback LEDs front and rear, Two Brothers Black Series Slip-On.

A skeptic that believes anything when provided with evidence.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 06:27:30 pm »
Changing the master cylinder isn't hard. There are several aftermarket units available. Just be sure to get one that has a larger volume output than OEM. You can even get rotatory ones that are adjustable but they cost $$$.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline JaL3

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:03:06 pm »
If you want to lessen the force on the lever side, shouldn't the master cylinder actually be smaller than OEM? Like on a floor jack, small cylinder pumps fluid to a larger one and the smaller the master (or larger the slave), the less force is needed. Travel would be then less too, of course. Or am I missing something here? (would not be the first time  ::) ..)
Regards, Jay with 2016 ZG1400, Ivan's flash, seat modded by Spencer, Puig spoiler, Canyon Cages, Bar Risers, Rigid Industries aux LEDs, Switchback LEDs front and rear, Two Brothers Black Series Slip-On.

A skeptic that believes anything when provided with evidence.

Offline Turtle

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:07 pm »
Is the lever at the proper angle? Try loosening the bar clamp and rotate a bit to change the lever position.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 04:17:00 am »
Jal3, you are correct. I meant to say variable volume but my stupid fingers(controlled by my lax brain) said larger. As you pointed out it's the ratio that determines force required but if the volume is incorrect the clutch will either drag or you'll potentially blow the seals on the slave.
  I've changed both the clutch and brake levers on my 09 with "Short" ones and have them adjusted to the closest position (shortest pull) possible. This does three things, 1st the "Perceived" force is lessened, 2nd the clutch engages sooner and 3rd it's easier to place just two fingers on the brake lever while using the remaining three fingers to work the throttle.

Good catch by the way, thanks for the correction. :beerchug:
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline sam_uk

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 06:16:55 pm »
i went with a set of pazzo levers. the so called longer ones, although they are really shorter than  stock with ,to me, a much more comfy angle. with quick lever adjustments. not cheap but with my arthritic digits much easier on the hands,, ;)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:59:20 pm »
i went with a set of pazzo levers. the so called longer ones, although they are really shorter than  stock with ,to me, a much more comfy angle. with quick lever adjustments. not cheap but with my arthritic digits much easier on the hands,, ;)
I got a set of the shortys from Pazzo. Awesome levers.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 07:34:39 pm »
Try http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Kawasaki_Clutch_Slave_Cylinders.html

Interesting.... thank you greatly.... :great: :great:

I can see this being a very nice item to put on our replacement part section, as rebuilding the OEM costs about half the price of that nice unit...clean looking, and at $128.73 U.S.D., not a bad price...

Only question I would have, is what replacement seals do they have in stock, for future repairs of that unit when it comes time...

I do like that gear tho... I have to download the install pdf to see what internal spring is required also, whether the OEM kaw part works or not, as those do tend to become a bit "relaxed" over time.

I do see they have a "lifetime warranty", if needed, but I can't imagine how long it would take to get a replacement back.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:43:06 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Steiny

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:44:45 pm »
 Get some of these and use when driving the car ,  it works

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 09:01:18 pm »
Try http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Kawasaki_Clutch_Slave_Cylinders.html

I can see this being a very nice item to put on our replacement part section, as rebuilding the OEM costs about half the price of that nice unit...clean looking, and at $128.73 U.S.D., not a bad price...

Only question I would have, is what replacement seals do they have in stock, for future repairs of that unit when it comes time...

I do like that gear tho... I have to download the install pdf to see what internal spring is required also, whether the OEM kaw part works or not, as those do tend to become a bit "relaxed" over time.

I do see they have a "lifetime warranty", if needed, but I can't imagine how long it would take to get a replacement back.

I would say, keep the stock master cylinder for just such an occasion.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 09:17:16 pm »

I would say, keep the stock master cylinder for just such an occasion.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

If u saw my garage, and my "parts collections", you would understand that point is a no brainer.... :beerchug:
Hell, I cut the power cables off of every electrical device I toss out... just for spares... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

My dad was a "hoarder", and tought me well... I've refined this into a finer art of "selective hoarding"... ;)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 09:29:07 pm »

:)) :)) :)) :)) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

If u saw my garage, and my "parts collections", you would understand that point is a no brainer.... :beerchug:
Hell, I cut the power cables off of every electrical device I toss out... just for spares... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

My dad was a "hoarder", and tought me well... I've refined this into a finer art of "selective hoarding"... ;)

:))
Ah yes, you know my garage well. Mine is the same. "I may use that sometime..."  I still have a carburetor I bought for a 1984 Dodge truck I built up sitting in its box under my workbench. It was only on the truck for about a month before I swapped it out for a different one. That was back in 1987 or so...  I also have various brake parts for various cars, mass airflow sensors, old spark plugs, the watts linkage from my old PT Cruiser, and on and on...

Offline richagpalmer

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 10:59:43 pm »
Thanks
Heading to the Grand Canyon from Mississippi in May hoping to make the ride a little more enjoyable.