Author Topic: clutch master cylinder removal  (Read 233 times)

Offline Andrew_Picard_LA

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8248
  • Membership Level: Active
clutch master cylinder removal
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:36:29 pm »
I need to clean/possibly rebuild my clutch master cylinder. Are there any videos or instructions out there?

Online Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
Re: clutch master cylinder removal
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:21:47 pm »
Here ya go.  This is only to give you a general idea.  Refer to the shop manual for detailed instructions specific to the C14 HTH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njKRhPwHOaM
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:42:36 pm by Bud »
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:12:25 pm »
before removing and taking the master apart, please, please, please, do the simple part first. Get some fresh fluid, at least a pint. Pick up a cheap "turkey baster" from the Dollar store. Also get what you need to bleed the slave cylinder, appropriate ized end wrench, clear plastic tube, and a bottle/recepticle with some fluid in the bottom..  Cover the tank, and surrounding areas with a towel, and a plastic garbage bag, and have a spray bottle of mild soapy water handy, with some paper towels, for immediate cleanup if some get on plastic or paint.  You should first simply bleed and flush this system, without allowing air into it... but also clean out the master reservoir.
Remove the lid, and suck out the old fluid with the baster till it's at the bottom, then carefully wipe the inside with a clean rag. DO NOT try to suck fluid from the small holes in the bottom, yet... then immediately Refill, and proceed to bleed the clutch, using the bleeder on the slave cylinder, making sure to close the bleeder at the end of each "stroke", to preclude sucking air back in..(this is why the bottle should have fluid in it, and the hose remained submerged).
Keep bleeding the master until clear fluid comes out, and don't let the mater suck air in, keep it at least half full during the process...
It's no different than bleeding brakes... pump the clutch lever a couple times, hold it compressed, open the bleeder with hose and bottle, close the bleeder when the lever has gone flat/ has no pressure, and repeat... do not pump or release the lever with the bleeder open, simply hold pressure on it during the bleeder crack and reseal while watching the flow in the hose and bottle.

Resist removing and disassembling the master at all effort possible, as it probably is not the real cause. Trying to get air out of the system, when it's all rebuilt, is very painful, and takes a lot of effort at times, especially if you use an aftermarket rebuild kit.
There have been very few "rebuilds" documented here as actually "needed" since '07, most of the issues have been due to a lack of fluid changes, or improperly bleeding during a fluid change, and the biggest problems were experienced by people attempting to remove and rebuild prematurely.

I don't have any, or can direct to, any "video", but am relating this as former Tech Editor, that early on has gone thru this exercise experimentally for the benefit of the group, to document the "difficulty" level.... it can turn into a real pain if things are missed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:30:44 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Andrew_Picard_LA

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 12:21:44 pm »
I should have given a little more info, I have a mighty vac and cant get fluid from the reservoir to either bleeder. Sucked all the nasty stuff from the reservoir and can suck from bleeder to bleeder, just not from the reservoir. I'm guessing I will need to tear down the master to find the blockage.

Offline Andrew_Picard_LA

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:29:41 pm »
Also this one is definitely on me for letting the fluid change go for too long!

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 01:57:32 pm »
Get Speed Bleeders. One on the master cylinder, one on the slave cylinder. Murph's has a kit with all needed for brake and clutch. You will like them a lot.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:23:02 pm »
I should have given a little more info, I have a mighty vac and cant get fluid from the reservoir to either bleeder. Sucked all the nasty stuff from the reservoir and can suck from bleeder to bleeder, just not from the reservoir. I'm guessing I will need to tear down the master to find the blockage.

ok
if you do, please buy the OEM parts... the -e-bay stuff is hit and miss...

also, save this photo... it hows the most difficult part of disassembly/reassembly...  you will thank me later... :rotflmao: :great:
that pesky piston and "C" clip puzzle, which requires 3 hands to assemble.. without the secret picture...hand and assembly on bench, and other end of wrench also on bench, pressing down firmly and making a "lever" to depress the piston... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: (also note the clip retaining tool in background)
best of luck...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:34:08 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Andrew_Picard_LA

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:14:30 pm »
Thanks hopefully will get to it today!