Author Topic: Clutch wire switch question  (Read 1224 times)

Offline WingCon

• My other motorcycle is (make that was) an Airbus A320.
  • Road Bike
    • Motorcycle trip round trip Tacoma, WA to Prudhoe Bay, AK
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9825
  • Membership Level: Active
Clutch wire switch question
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:24:23 pm »
Could someone please look at their C14 (mine is a 2011) clutch switch connectors just below the clutch lever and tell me which wires are in which position?
There are two connectors.  One has a black wire going to it, the other one has a black and red striped wire going to it.  Which one is on the inside (right side looking forward), and which one is on the outside (left side looking forward).
Also please tell me the year of your bike.   Much appreciate it. 
Thanks.   ;D
http://alaskaprudhoebaymotorcycletrip.wordpress.com/

2003 Goldwing ABS, 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600,  2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
Re: Clutch wire switch question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:31:05 pm »
08 blk/red inside

Offline WingCon

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 10:02:07 pm »
08 blk/red inside

Thanks!       :great:    If anyone else could answer that has a 2010 or later that also would be great just to verify.

Offline Sandy

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 11:36:10 pm »
2010:  Blk/rd tracer is on the left facing forward.
New Jersey CMA Area Rep.  Vietnam Vet 68/69 USMC  01 Connie  02 Wing  00 Custom V Twin 105hp  sandycmanj@yahoo.com

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:53:21 pm »
If I'm reading the schematic correctly that's the Starter Lockout Switch. Looks like an on/off switch when the lever is pulled. I'm not sure it matters how it's plugged in.

Offline WingCon

• Road Bike
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 05:37:47 am »
If I'm reading the schematic correctly that's the Starter Lockout Switch. Looks like an on/off switch when the lever is pulled. I'm not sure it matters how it's plugged in.

Thanks Sandy and gPink.  That's scary as another forum member said the red/black striped is on the right looking forward.  I looked at the schematic too, and I'm not sure if the schematic is "true to form" regarding right and left side.  Sandy and gPink have opposite set ups.   :??:  The McCruise Cruise Control I installed instruction's say pulling the clutch in won't automatically shut off the cruise, only when it senses abnormally high RPM.  So I guess I'm OK as I was expecting that pulling the clutch in ever so slightly would shut it down.  Other than this, I'm VERY happy with the McCruise.  Word of warning though, it's a major installation project.  But if I can do it, you can too.    :)
Really great for long distance stuff.  Beats a friction lock by miles.  The installation was initially a bit daunting when I opened up the instructions, but I got it done, and it was a fun project looking back on the experience. 

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/kawasaki/products/27

:-\     ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:51:43 am by WingCon »

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »
It shouldn't make any difference IMHO. This is an open/closed switch. No matter how you connect them they will still function as open/closed. Think of it as one continued wire with a knife switch. It either makes the connection or it doesn't, their is no third option with this switch.
At least that's how mine works.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »
It shouldn't make any difference IMHO. This is an open/closed switch. No matter how you connect them they will still function as open/closed. Think of it as one continued wire with a knife switch. It either makes the connection or it doesn't, their is no third option with this switch.
At least that's how mine works.

not so.
iirc

if the mcruise is looking for a disconnection signal downstream of the switch (let's call it a ground path), and you connect it upstrem of the switch, pulling the lever will not cause the loop on the mcruise to be broken. if it requires a hot signal, to stay energized, with a circuit that senses voltage drop, that's different.
as I don't have that cruise, or its wiring diagram, I can't say.

I'm also surprised about the comment on the complexity of the install, the folks around here using that system seem to base it on its ease of instal, supposidly "plug n play" feature...at least that's why they insist its worth the price over the Rostra system...

I have a Rostra, sitting on the bench, waiting for warmer garage time to install... :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 06:41:05 pm »
As I understand it the original question was about which of the two wires, black and black/red trace goes on which connector of the Starter Lockout Switch(clutch handle). The factory schematic shows the switch to function as "Open" when the clutch handle is released and "Closed" when the clutch handle is "Pulled in". This is shown as item #5 in the Left Switch Housing diagram. This type of switch can only create a circuit that is either complete or open. Think of your light switch in the house, either on or off. As such the circuit doesn't care which side of the switch the two wires are connected to, it is still either on or off. Yes it makes a difference if you're going to tap the wire for some other use as one side will be either hot/ground and the other side will be the opposite. In this case one side goes to a diode  and side stand switch and the other to the starter relay. Functionally it makes no difference since this is a spst switch, on or off. It only provides a single path the "Water" can flow up or down as long as the handle is pulled in.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Charlie_Gary_AAD

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 8048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:17:03 pm »
OK, here's the answer I sent to Joe last night.  The red/black wire plugs on closest to the steering stem, farthest from the outboard end of the grip.
Later, 
Charlie - NWAAD
COG# 8048
AMA# 603377
Re-defining the phrase "Rides like a grandpa"

Offline WingCon

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 11:19:16 pm »
I'm also surprised about the comment on the complexity of the install, the folks around here using that system seem to base it on its ease of instal, supposidly "plug n play" feature...at least that's why they insist its worth the price over the Rostra system...

Anything is easy the 2nd time, by pure coincidence, this was the first time.   :D

It boils down to a bit of disappointment that the McCruise isn't designed to immediately disconnect with a slight pull in on the clutch.  Even the instructions say that it isn't designed for this, but it is designed to disconnect when abruptly high RPMs are sensed, as if you pulled in the clutch and held it open.  This necessitates if you want to quickly disconnect it, let's say traffic in sight ahead, you have to either hold in the decel button, or hit the on/off button if you don't want to tap the brake.  Tapping the brake works, but I don't like to do that as I have sequenced brake flashers farkled in, and that would unnecessarily startle a car behind me.
Other than that though, as I said, the rest of it works great, and I'm glad I installed it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:41:52 pm by WingCon »

Offline jimbob_sf

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8437
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:04:36 pm »
This one is a bit old, but maybe someone picks it up.

If the switch has failed, I'd notice that it won't start with the clutch engaged (kick-stand up of course).  Mine is an '08 with 48k miles and it feels about the right time for little things to fail.  Thanks!