Author Topic: Cold weather riding woes.  (Read 1310 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Cold weather riding woes.
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »
It hasn't happened to me before on any of the bikes I had.
When riding at night, temps down to 35-37F - I fear it'll only get worse with lower temp - I noticed a lot of cold draft at the back of my neck. I put balaclava to keep warm, but the dreaded draft is ever present. I can crack windshield vent fully, It helps to stop this draft, but increased noise annoys me a lot. I keep vent half way open to mitigate noise, buffeting.
I thought it was my "new" helmet. I tried my old helmet, the same story, but to a lesser extent as old helmet has lower neck roll at the back of it.
I've tried to change positions while riding, it helps somewhat, but I suspect it is the vacuum behind my back creates turbulence that causes air be pushed up between back of the helmet and collar.
What, if there is anything, can be done to reduce/eliminate this cold wind/draft at the back of helmet?

Cheers...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Cold weather riding woes.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:35:08 pm »
Tons of different neck gaitors out there...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/refrigiwear-web/images/0050_440xx.jpg

I wear a Gerbing electric jacket under my stich, it has a nice heating section in the neck, and zips up to form a turtle neck covering also
I don't consider 35* all that cold tho...
Withmy Gerbing, and if needed when temps are 20* and below, I throw on a thin polyester turtle neck long sleeved tee over the Gerbing, to compress it against my neck & body fully, it is a comfy ride, all day affair.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:50:52 am »
I feel your pain as I ride year round here in the Northwest where winter is a steady 35-45 and raining. I don't find the Connie to be any different from my FJR or Versys other than the obvious lack of adjustability on the Versys.

As to your question, I ride wearing a balaclava from Outdoor Research that fits snugly up over my mouth and neck, but goes down below into my jacket. I don't feel a damn thing. I also ride with a heated jacket and have installed the Oxford heated grips. I regularly go on 2-3 hour rides in 35-45 degree raining temperatures and I stay dry and warm with this set up.

You can do it. As they say, there is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 15,000 and counting

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:35:16 am »
What year of bike and windshield do you have? Certain models might exhibit that sort of vacuum draft. I have a v-stream and depending on how how high I raise it I get that same feeling you're seeing, but lower or higher I can find the sweet spot.
Later windshield models with that middle vent or top flap might help. 
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:34:43 am »
Cut your windshield down, no more back pressure

Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 C14 (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:56 am »
What year of bike and windshield do you have? Certain models might exhibit that sort of vacuum draft. I have a v-stream and depending on how how high I raise it I get that same feeling you're seeing, but lower or higher I can find the sweet spot.
Later windshield models with that middle vent or top flap might help.
I have 16 C14 with OEM vent.
I'll have to seal vents in my summer helmet so I can use it during colder days as it nearly eliminates this draft. The neck roll is lower and there is a ledge at the back of the helmet that redirects air lower around collar.
Also, if I sit up right, as if ADV riding, this draft is not felt at all. But it feels very weird riding ST bike ADV style.

Please do not hesitate, bring suggestions forth...All help is appreciated!

Cheers...

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 11:32:49 am »
I might have found the solution.

Schampa Helmet Skirt https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schampa-helmet-skirt
or NOJ quiet rider http://www.nojgear.com/Quiet_Rider_Cold_Weather_Helmet_Skirt_p/qr04-1.htm
or Tapan4D mask. http://tepan4d.net/mask_i

I'll be ordering it.  :great:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:48:55 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 12:58:26 pm »

or NOJ quiet rider http://www.nojgear.com/Quiet_Rider_Cold_Weather_Helmet_Skirt_p/qr04-1.htm

I was riding in 5 degrees celsius this am (not sure what that is in F, but it is low), and thanks to my pinlock, the fogging up was bearable... I wonder how badly my helmet would fog up using those wind curtains you included in your reply...
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:32:54 pm »
I wear a heavy hooded sweat shirt style jacket under my Tourmaster 3 season jacket.

This works down to the lower 30's.  The hooded jacket seams to block any wind from getting to the back of my neck.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline br

• Bicycle
  • If you wana get fast, ride lots
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 03:17:40 pm »
I don't find riding in cold weather fun. For me riding is all about the pleasures of riding, being cold is not one of them.Have I found myself stuck riding in cold weather, sure we all have one time or another. But to look outside and say, hay it is 29 degrees I think I will have a fun ride. I don't think so. Same with the heat.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 04:22:43 pm »

Ok, you asked.. Move to South Texas.... {Grin}
When /if it gets down below 40*,,  I wait a day to go ride.

Yes, I know I'm a Smart A__....  ;)

PS: I have another problem tho, and I follow the same idea to fix that.
                       I don't ride during a hurricane.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 04:22:58 pm »
My "cold" cold-weather bike is an '08 ABS model.

It has a CalSci windshield in 4.5" over stock height and a set of Baker Air Wings mounted to the dash area.

My sub-freezing clothing lineup consists of an Arai SZ/C helmet, U.S. Motorcycle Gear armored leather jacket, FirstGear heated liner, Gerbing heated gloves and a pair of sport-touring boots with heavy wool socks. As of late, I also have heated pants liners and socks available.

A company called "Mugz" once made a very nice neck gaiter. My ex bought a pair for us when we rode in the cold; I still have one of them and wear it when riding in temps below 40 degrees F.

One 4-degree January morning several years ago I rode 20mi to work in all the above over a dress shirt and leather vest plus a set of heavy leather chaps over Dockers. At freeway speeds of (redacted)MPH which resulted in a calculated wind chill of (way_too_damn_cold), the cockpit temps were a good bit warmer than just standing by the bike after getting to the facility parking lot. My liner and gloves did the trick - and no drafts were evidenced anywhere.

Of course, come summertime I'd cuss that particular bike a blue streak for the heat it puts off but this time of year it's a feature - not a bug.  :))

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:30 pm »
39F-40F this morning coolest morning we've had since April here in Central Texas.  As far as cold weather  big Improvement over the V-Strom, much better protection on the legs and the taller wider windshield helps a lot too when all the way up, I was worried about my hands getting cold not having handguards like I do on the V-Strom but the mirrors seem to block most of the wind off my hands and the heated grips work great.  This time of year , I have to wear my mesh gear with an oversize leather jacket going over that, because it will be 80 degrees when I go home this afternoon.  So I cannot really wear the cold weather gear yet.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Moped
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 08:08:16 pm »

I was riding in 5 degrees celsius this am (not sure what that is in F, but it is low), and thanks to my pinlock, the fogging up was bearable... I wonder how badly my helmet would fog up using those wind curtains you included in your reply...

Funny thing though, I had Vee before Connie. I noticed I am not as cold while riding, thanks to wide fairing and heated grips.
What I also noticed, my helmet doesn't fog up at all. While riding Vee at temperatures lower than 40F (about 5C) my pin-locked helmet would get foggy at the bottom. With C14 riding and its massive windscreen, I got nothing at all the way down to (few nights ago) 33F (1C). But the back of my neck get unpleasantly cold. I will try this helmet curtain thingamabob.

Cheers...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:22:40 pm by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Moped
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 08:12:51 pm »

Ok, you asked.. Move to South Texas.... {Grin}
When /if it gets down below 40*,,  I wait a day to go ride.

Yes, I know I'm a Smart A__....  ;)

PS: I have another problem tho, and I follow the same idea to fix that.
                       I don't ride during a hurricane.

Ride safe, Ted
duly noted... ;)

Offline Pilgrim

• Road Bike
  • '12 Black
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:54 pm »
Cut your windshield down, no more back pressure

Nice summer shield!    Not so good for cold weather. 

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 08:40:22 pm »
One word

heated gear   :rotflmao:

If it gets below 60, I have my heated gear with me.  This weekend in Tellico Plains it is forecasted low around 43° and I will definitely have the heated gear on, along with thermal underwear under that.  Even with the low windshield it works for me.
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 C14 (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Deltonian

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 09:26:47 pm »
In my opinion this bike was made for the cold weather. There is so much wind protection in the cockpit... I have a 15 and always leave the wind screen vent wide open to reduce the back pressure.  40 and below I may use a turtle neck (turtle fur) that I use downhill skiing but never had a draft problem on my neck.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 10:56:03 pm »
I don't have the 'draft' you describe.

But in cold temps in that range, I am using the side clear wind deflectors that mount on each side of the upper fairing to push wind away from me.  I keep the windshield up and the vent is closed.

Now, I also use a full one piece suit and I'm not using an expensive helmet.  Its an HJC modular.

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 03:48:14 am »
I wear a turtleneck and hunker down :great:
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Training Wheels
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 12:36:36 am »
Roadcrafter, aerostitch electric vest, North Face gore tex windstopper gaiter, what cold?

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 12:58:08 am »
I use something similar to this:  https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-Helmetclava-Balaclava-Black/dp/B002JIKHOA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1510019625&sr=8-12&keywords=balaclava+outdoor+research

It's a balaclava made for snow skiing. I like the way I can adjust the top and the bottom somewhat independently. I've got one or two that have a "face hole" and they creep up/down.

I tuck it under my collar and zip either my fleece liner up around it or my electric jacket up around it to hold it in. Put the helmet on and good to go. No drafts.  It stays in my jacket pocket all year round.
2014 C-14

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 04:00:00 am »
My wife and I ride all year and the two things that allow that are 1) heated gear. The old Gerbing jacket liners have a long stove- pipe collar that has heating elements in it and reach up the neck high enough to work down into the 25F range or so. At that point, a thin balaclava works wonders to keep air out of all the little gaps around the helmet / collar / neck area. We use the very thin nylon ones, not worth much heating value but they do keep the skin covered from air movement. Those, with heated gear, has taken us down to 11F successfully although the heated gear was at 100% and we were no longer 'warm and comfy' but just acceptably 'not overly cold. But down to the mid- 20's F, a heated jacket liner works wonders although I have not used any of the new Gerbing gear since they were sold and moved to the southeast US.

Brian

It hasn't happened to me before on any of the bikes I had.
When riding at night, temps down to 35-37F - I fear it'll only get worse with lower temp - I noticed a lot of cold draft at the back of my neck. I put balaclava to keep warm, but the dreaded draft is ever present. I can crack windshield vent fully, It helps to stop this draft, but increased noise annoys me a lot. I keep vent half way open to mitigate noise, buffeting.
I thought it was my "new" helmet. I tried my old helmet, the same story, but to a lesser extent as old helmet has lower neck roll at the back of it.
I've tried to change positions while riding, it helps somewhat, but I suspect it is the vacuum behind my back creates turbulence that causes air be pushed up between back of the helmet and collar.
What, if there is anything, can be done to reduce/eliminate this cold wind/draft at the back of helmet?

Cheers...
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Moped
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:30 am »
I have discovered my new-new helmet, Shoei RF-SR,  doesn't exhibit this draft issues mainly due to lower neck roll and more upright riding design compared to HJC IS17 which seems to have full tuck riding design features.
I've ridden down to 30° wearing neck gaiter and autumn gloves, since installing ProjektD winglets, with surprising amount of warmth inside my onesie (FirstGear snowsuit). 

Cheers...

Offline Roger B

• Training Wheels
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 03:53:15 pm »
I have been a warmer weather rider but I'm going to extend my season some this year.   I have all the gear to do it and like mentioned the C14 has excellent protection for it.  I snowmobile so it can't be any worse than that.   I guess I'm not ready to quit riding yet this year.