Author Topic: Combo wrench sizes for tool roll  (Read 309 times)

Offline NJ_Jim

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12895
  • Membership Level: Active
Combo wrench sizes for tool roll
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:58:55 pm »
Hi guys, which 2,3 or 4 sizes would you consider the most handy to have in your tool role?
2015 Black C14
2001 BMW R1100R
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
Re: Combo wrench sizes for tool roll
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:48:44 pm »
Here’s a thought: if you can perform routine maintenance
with just the tools in your tool roll then you’ve got it covered.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:58:26 pm »
Hi guys, which 2,3 or 4 sizes would you consider the most handy to have in your tool role?

pretty much the bare minimums that come in the tool kit under the seat, in that plastic box.. in the pouch... didn't your bike come with that???

56007   56007-0075   TOOL-KIT   1      
56008   56008-1075   BAG,TOOL   1      

92106   92106-1001   GRIP-SCREW DRIVER         
92107   92107-1051   TOOL-DRIVER,#2PHILLIPS&SLOT         
92110   92110-1015   TOOL-WRENCH,ALLEN,5MM         
92110A   92110-1152   TOOL-WRENCH,OPEN END,10X12         
92110B   92110-1153   TOOL-WRENCH,OPEN END,14X17         
92110C   92110-1174   TOOL-WRENCH,BOX,8MM   
(socket that screwdriver makes T handle when used in conjunction)      
92110D   92110-3703   TOOL-WRENCH,ALLEN,4MM         
92126   92126-004           TOOL-WRENCH,OPEN END,8X10   

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:05:07 am »
Here’s a thought: if you can perform routine maintenance
with just the tools in your tool roll then you’ve got it covered.

the pouch doesn't come close to "maintenance" tools... just barely enough to get plastic off...

wheel, brake, and any other bolt... better plan on some sockets, and BIGger tools...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline NJ_Jim

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:57:28 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. 

I do have the OEM toolkit.  Would like to supplement what’s there with stuff that’s good to have for a road trip.  Are there certain sizes that would come in handy?   I seem to reach for the 8mm and 10mm pretty frequently.  Anything else?
2015 Black C14
2001 BMW R1100R
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 01:38:30 pm »
This is actually a good topic for spring prep as well.  :great:

I carry a set of 4/5/6-mm hex head 3/8" socket heads for all of those fasteners on the bike. (T-handles and long allen keys too big).
These with a long and short 3/8" ratchet extensions with a reg. sized ratchet, and a stubby.

Wrenches included are 8 thru 14mm. Various sockets but, mostly same range there.

I also keep a 1/4" drive wrench, extension and set for the little stuff in my tool roll.....oh, and it's a Kriega Roll.  My fav.
Wire snips, Leatherman, Needle nose pliers, and various sized sockets and wrenches, both open end and ratcheting. 

This isn't C14 specific, but an interesting thread for EXTREME planning ahead for tools and bike failures:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-toolkit-thread.262998/

Certainly overkill for us (especially CHAIN repair) but there are some good ideas in there for  Metal repair, Radiator Punctures, and Tire repairs that are pertinent to your on-road adventures.

I also carry a JB Weld Kit, Tire Repair Kit, Jumper Cables, LiIon Battery Pack, Zip TIes, Rubber Gloves, Safety Wire, Elect. Tape, WD40, Blue Loctite, Spare Fuses, and many other doo-dads.

Still searching for better Ratchet and Socket sets to consolidate my kit.  :beerchug:

gr
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:43:57 pm by ghostrider990 »
My Horns have Horns.

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:38:44 pm »
What are you willing/able to do on the side of the road/ parking lot?
Sit in your driveway and see what you need to do the task at hand.
On the C10 and the fjr not all the screws/clips/fasteners are the same so I need multiple tools just to pull plastic
Flat tire? Are you going to be able/need to put it on the C stand? may need a piece of 2 x 6
Above all a cell phone and a credit card for just in case
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
I bought my 2010 used and had to do or check or repair everything.  When I did that service I didn't put any of the tools I used away.  At the end I took all those tools and put them in my roll.  Well except for the torque wrenches and some of the special tools like the fork tools.  I have a good enough feel for torque and if it needs fork seals done on the road I would just have to pay someone... and I did   :??:
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 09:58:40 pm »

I carry a set of 4/5/6-mm hex head 3/8" socket heads for all of those fasteners on the bike. (T-handles and long allen keys too big).
These with a long and short 3/8" ratchet extensions with a reg. sized ratchet, and a stubby.

Wrenches included are 8 thru 14mm. Various sockets but, mostly same range there.

I also keep a 1/4" drive wrench, extension and set for the little stuff in my tool roll.....oh, and it's a Kriega Roll.  My fav.
Wire snips, Leatherman, Needle nose pliers, and various sized sockets and wrenches, both open end and ratcheting. 

This isn't C14 specific, but an interesting thread for EXTREME planning ahead for tools and bike failures:

Certainly overkill for us (especially CHAIN repair) but there are some good ideas in there for  Metal repair, Radiator Punctures, and Tire repairs that are pertinent to your on-road adventures.

I also carry a JB Weld Kit, Tire Repair Kit, Jumper Cables, LiIon Battery Pack, Zip TIes, Rubber Gloves, Safety Wire, Elect. Tape, WD40, Blue Loctite, Spare Fuses, and many other doo-dads.

Still searching for better Ratchet and Socket sets to consolidate my kit.  :beerchug:

gr
Looks like a pretty good tool kit there!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline NJ_Jim

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:01:41 am »

gr

Excellent post, thank you!

I watched this video from an adv guy on what’s in his tool roll and got some ideas.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d99qjzwKrKw

And then his follow up on what he’s eliminated. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUdHVb7M2o&t=637s

The spot I’m in is I haven’t done any service on the bike yet because I bought it with less than 4400 miles on it and haven’t even put 2000 miles on it - so haven’t serviced anything yet (came with a fresh oil change). Hence my post. 

Post up if you guys have any other ideas and thanks. 
2015 Black C14
2001 BMW R1100R
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:16:37 pm »
You'll figure out which tools you need as you Farkle and Clean your bike.  :great:

Finding your way around the tupperware is always a new experience (for me).  But it definitely gets to be muscle memory eventually.

Glad you benefited from the links.   :beerchug:
The ADV boys are bit more manical about their packing and pre-planning, but it's good fodder for us as we pack for longer trips too.

I'm going to add an Airpump to my kit this year.  And if I had to do it over again, I'd have bought a LiIon Charger/Jump Pack combo kit, like the ones they sell at Revzilla.  I don't know why I didn't.

gr

**Oh, and I do have some redundancies in my toolkit, because I swap my tool roll between TWO bikes.  Naturally, both are METRIC.  :)**
My Horns have Horns.