Author Topic: Comfy saddle for passengers???  (Read 957 times)

Offline Gordo

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Comfy saddle for passengers???
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:20:17 pm »
Ok, I'm running the stock Connie seat and I'm perfectly happy with it.  However, my tiny, boney arsed girlfriend has big time complaints about the passenger saddle, feeling it's too stiff I believe, though she has a hard time putting the problem into words.  She asked about extra padding, so I think she needs some cushion and support.  Suggestions?  New Saddle?  Modular saddles?  Seat pad?

Looks aren't the primary factor, but I like my bike simple and streamlined.  I keep the saddlebags off.  I'll probably do a fender eliminator at some point.  Just saying, styling is a mild concern and factor.

What say you?  Thanks!

Offline Gordo

• Tricycle
Re: Comfy saddle for passengers???
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:26:55 pm »
Further info: we're talking complaints about a 45 minute ride and a total unwillingness to do a day trip.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 12:30:41 pm »
Seth Laam
Russel Day long

Looks will dictate more for the Laam seats' design.
Seth makes a wonderful seat.
Matt

2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:28:56 pm »
Ok, I'm running the stock Connie seat and I'm perfectly happy with it.  However, my tiny, boney arsed girlfriend has big time complaints about the passenger saddle, feeling it's too stiff I believe, though she has a hard time putting the problem into words.  She asked about extra padding, so I think she needs some cushion and support.  Suggestions?  New Saddle?  Modular saddles?  Seat pad?

Looks aren't the primary factor, but I like my bike simple and streamlined.  I keep the saddlebags off.  I'll probably do a fender eliminator at some point.  Just saying, styling is a mild concern and factor.

What say you?  Thanks!

Interesting,
I think most of us that cover miles with the S/O will note that for her comfort, a lot has to do with some back support, to allow a.more vertical seating position instead of the "forward leaning squid chick" position, which becomes uncomfortable for sure very rapidly... so at the minimum a lumbar support of some type, backrest, at minimum, should offer her some relief... I also think the discomfort is often from the insecure feeling of "falling off the back", which tends to cause stress and undue tension on the pillion.
Other things like a comfortable and firm foot rest assist in relieving these issues... of course, a custom fit saddle is always an option, but unless you try a bunch out with her, it will be difficult to say "this one fits" or "should fit", and you end up spending $$$$ experimenting.

Maybe pick up some 1/2" to 3/4" thick neoprene foam (the grippy black type) and experiment with it as a pad, to see if it helps, adding some "grip" really changes the percieved feel of the seat.
You do note that your big concern is "bike appearance", but a lot of us will say, comfort doesn't always look cool... :rotflmao:

There is always the rear trunk option, which sooner or later we all buy, and along with the extra storage, you get free backrest...but sounds like that isn't an option you want to hear about

Oh, and the fender eliminator? Let's just say, it does wonders for the bikes appearance, but one mud puddle, or a wet stretch of road, and your girl won't think the "skunk stripe" she is wearing on her back is "stylish"... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Just warning, and notnrying to be rude, but the Conni throws a heck of a lot up in back, and it gets messy without a real fender,  I wish the stock one was bit larger myself, as at the end of a day where you may experience some showers, or yechy roads, the back of my trunk looks like a mud bog.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Gordo

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:30:24 pm »
Comfort a bigger concern than style but style is a factor.  However, back rest, probably not an option for me, and yes, that's just about curb appeal.  I'm not a standard tourer.  I drive this beast like a sport bike.  I'm not going to the track with it or anything, but I don't treat it like a goldwing.  I took the bags off.  I'll NEVER buy a trunk for it.  If I wanted a bagger I'd have a Harley.  However, a Road King will cost me a lot more than a new saddle for the bike that I love...

Offline Gordo

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 04:03:45 pm »

Oh, and the fender eliminator? Let's just say, it does wonders for the bikes appearance, but one mud puddle, or a wet stretch of road, and your girl won't think the "skunk stripe" she is wearing on her back is "stylish"... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Just warning, and notnrying to be rude, but the Conni throws a heck of a lot up in back, and it gets messy without a real fender,  I wish the stock one was bit larger myself, as at the end of a day where you may experience some showers, or yechy roads, the back of my trunk looks like a mud bog.

Yah yah, I know how you guys are about the fender eliminator.  lol.  I'm a musician.  We suffer for art.  Same idea here.  My girl is way too much of a princess to ride in the rain.  So am I half the time.

Those RDL seats look comfy though!  I'd like to see one on a bike with no bags to see how it looks. 

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12344
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 05:06:44 pm »
Gordo..i hear you about the backrest and trunk, BUT after my wife decided to get back on the bike I had to do something. So I now have a givi trunk with a rack from http://www.philsfarkels.com/

in less than second I can have the trunk off and typically do except when she is on board. As a matter of fact it is so easy on/off this morning I tossed it back on as my shoulder is bothering me and I didn't think wearing my backpack would help.

we also have the basic out of the box seargant seat and a sheep skin butt pad, this combined with the trunk/back pad she has been happy.

BTW...I had a HD Ultra CVO I sold last year as it was parked too much since the c14 came into town.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 05:10:00 pm »
Gordo, I don't think you'll like the day long etc because of the wings.
  I'm not saying they wouldn't solve the problem.
  I'm saying it because; looks is important you and riding it like a sport bike is your style..
       ie: I don't think you'll like the looks of wings, and those wings aren't designed to allow you to move around on the seat.

I agree with MOB; before you buy another seat, try an air cushion or some softer foam, and see what she thinks.
If she likes that, you can take your stock seat to a local upholstery shop and have them install softer padding.

If you don't want a trunk, consider a removable backrest for her.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »
Gordo,
I tried about every seat available for a C14, and none of them worked for my GF as a passenger seat.
(Including a RDL, with a trunk and backrest.)

Her biggest complaint- she couldn't stay planted, felt like she would slide off, as well as uncomfortable after about an hour.

I finally got a Kawasaki Gel seat. Paid $275 used for it.
Best seat...period. I love it, she loves it. Problem solved.

I could manage about 3 hours with the stock seat before the pain would set in. Never liked the cheapo vinyl cover. Seat was too soft and a bit slick. She hated it.

The Kawasaki Gel seat has a rough textured cover, better shape, and a gel pad. "Kawasaki" is stitched on the cover, with 3 angled stitched stripes on each side, so you can identify it. It is not the seat that comes on the 2015-2016's. You can find them here occaisionally for sale, or ebay.

I can't figure out why they didn't just go with that seat standard and save everybody a lot of hassle and expense??

That's my .02 experience and suggestion. Hope it helps.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:45:38 pm »
The above post sounds like the best advice for your interests, and maybe an Air Hawk. I am the opposite. Bags always on, Givi trunk with upper and lumbar pad, mini floorboards, and a Russell Day long for the rear portion only.  After a LOT of experimenting this works the best for my needs.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:03:21 pm by TJ »

Offline Deltonian

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 11:49:24 pm »
You may not be interested in a backrest but I went with the Pirates Lair Stealth Backrest because it goes on and off quick and easy. My wife is much happier and I don't have to worry about her falling off  >:D
http://pirateslair.net/ConcoursStealth.htm

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 11:20:20 am »
Gordo,
I tried about every seat available for a C14, and none of them worked for my GF as a passenger seat.
(Including a RDL, with a trunk and backrest.)

Her biggest complaint- she couldn't stay planted, felt like she would slide off, as well as uncomfortable after about an hour.

I finally got a Kawasaki Gel seat. Paid $275 used for it.
Best seat...period. I love it, she loves it. Problem solved.

I could manage about 3 hours with the stock seat before the pain would set in. Never liked the cheapo vinyl cover. Seat was too soft and a bit slick. She hated it.

The Kawasaki Gel seat has a rough textured cover, better shape, and a gel pad. "Kawasaki" is stitched on the cover, with 3 angled stitched stripes on each side, so you can identify it. It is not the seat that comes on the 2015-2016's. You can find them here occaisionally for sale, or ebay.

I can't figure out why they didn't just go with that seat standard and save everybody a lot of hassle and expense??

That's my .02 experience and suggestion. Hope it helps.
Bob

Gordo,
where in the Northeast are you?  I'm in Mass on the South Shore and have a Kawasaki Gel seat you could try out.

PM me if your interested.

Joe C
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Swedge

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »
I got the aluminum rack / back rest from Pirates Lair (http://pirateslair.net/ConcoursPP.htm). I added a soft tail bag from T-Bags (http://tbags.com/) that slides over the back rest. The back rest is removable so you can mount it only when you need it.

Keep your GF happy.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 11:10:07 pm »

What say you?  Thanks!

The seat stock, is terrible.

Though no longer in business, my wife loves the Baldwin seat I have.  I'm betting LAAM Makes a good one.

Offline old fart

• Moped
  • I dabbled in pacifism once
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11585
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 01:53:03 am »
I've had Laam, Corbin and currently have a Baldwin.. All are good seats
"Careful man, there's a beverage here"

09 Connie(totaled)
14 Connie with SiSF flash

Offline Gordo

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 12:47:04 pm »

[/quote]

Gordo,
where in the Northeast are you?  I'm in Mass on the South Shore and have a Kawasaki Gel seat you could try out.

PM me if your interested.

Joe C
[/quote]

Hey Joe, thanks man!  I'm in Bangor, Maine so Mass is a bit off the path for me.  We go to CT often to visit my girls family though.  If I can get this problem solved, maybe next time we'll take the bike!

Offline Rony6ble

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12513
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 02:52:27 am »
Seth Laam
Russel Day long

Looks will dictate more for the Laam seats' design.
Seth makes a wonderful seat.
Matt

+1 on the RDL.
I have a 2 piece Corbin that I like (but it is as soft as a park bench) and also a 2up heated RDL that I just tried for two IBA rides. It felt weird at the beginning (it's higher and wider) but I did the first SaddleSore 1000 and was ready for the next one. I can definitely not flat foot so if I knoe I'll be doing some stop & go I would use the Corbin, if it's more long distance the RDL hands down. I'm actually thinking to get a custom made 1up to leave room for the aux tank.
Concours 14 2011
Concours 14 2009 RIP
GPZ 400 & Ninja 250
IBA# 57875 COG# 12513

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 05:31:46 pm »
RDL. I ride hard both at track days and in the Sierra's with an RDL. My wife loves it and I can ride all day without pain.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver