Author Topic: Common Issues With Concours 14  (Read 544 times)

Offline Enigmatic Gary

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Common Issues With Concours 14
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:57:46 pm »
I'm about to embark on a tour with my 2011 Concours 14.  I have had this bike for about 4 months now and I feel that I have everything in order.  I'm curious if anyone knows of any common issues with the Concours that I should be aware of, or maybe have checked before hitting the road.  From what I have found online in my searching, the Concours 14 is a very reliable bike and I shouldn't have anything to worry about.  My last tour was on a Triumph, I'm very excited to do this same ride on the Concours as it's so much more comfortable, and I have the highway pegs installed for added comfort.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Common Issues With Concours 14
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:05:45 pm »
You didn't mention mileage, but as long as it has been fairly well maintained you should have no worries.

Where in the south central are you?
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Enigmatic Gary

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:09:59 pm »
Thanks Cliff, the bike has 38,000 miles, from what the dealer told me all maintenance has been done on the bike.  The previous owner was a motorcycle mechanic.  I live in Central Texas, Austin area.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 01:29:47 pm »
Thanks Cliff, the bike has 38,000 miles, from what the dealer told me all maintenance has been done on the bike.  The previous owner was a motorcycle mechanic.  I live in Central Texas, Austin area.

I wouldn't worry about it all. I'm headed out for 5,000+ trip with 216,000 miles currently showing on the OD with no worries.  :motonoises:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »

I wouldn't worry about it all. I'm headed out for 5,000+ trip with 216,000 miles currently showing on the OD with no worries.  :motonoises:

Cliff -

You are a certifiable MANIAC!!  :-\

OP - what CLiff said, and if you're close to departure time, follow MOB's instructions and DON'T FARKLE!!
Pack needed tools for the job(s) you might need to do on the road, tire plugs, air compressor, zip ties, rubber gloves, flashlight, charging battery for devices, jumper cables, etc etc.....

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 04:05:26 pm »
Not that anyone wants to do this while on a trip, but it might be good to have enough tools to be able to swap out a fuel filter as well as having a spare filter with you.  Filters are cheap.  I believe it was Woodie that was on a big trip earlier this year and had an issue with a nasty fuel filter.  Somewhere there is a good tutorial on changing the filter, complete with pics.  If you plan on taking a new filter with you, I'd read up on the replacement procedure just in case.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline reid53

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7384
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 04:35:50 pm »
Before a long trip I would replace the CR2025 battery in the FOB.   :great: :motonoises:
13 Concours "Blue Belle"
08 Concours "Silver Belle" with SISF Mountain Runner Flash
98 Concours "Tallahassee Belle" (Sold)

Offline Road Runner

• Road Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 05:17:42 pm »
... and for active members, having the COG Handbook / Directory "on board" is a must take item too  :great:
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 06:18:18 pm »
... and for active members, having the COG Handbook / Directory "on board" is a must take item too  :great:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 06:30:56 pm »
These bikes are pretty reliable. But they are complex. Fixing anything serious will be beyond the ability of most out on the road. You can take the tools needed for about anything but it will cost weight and space. I take the tools needed to remove the front and rear wheels. I take Allen's to tighten up screws. I also take the means to plug a hole in the tire. A small air pump would be handy if plugging a tire away from a source of air. I have seen the need to remove the wheel for either a new tire because the hole was too big to plug or a rim was bent. The bent rim is not real common either. The last guy to bend a rim hit a larger rock in the roadway. He was able to bend the wheel back enough to hold air and get him home.

The last problem I had is not very common. Both low beams burned out at the same time. A trip to Napa fixed that. Replacing head light bulbs is a pain but done without the need for tools. My biggest problem out on the road is picking something up resulting with a hole in a tire. Always seems it is the rear tire. TPS has always provided ample warning.

I agree with Road Runner, a membership handbook is a must. I threw in an old hand book when attending an out of state COG rally. It made the difference for the guy I was riding with.(C10) He got a part delivered from a fellow COG member which put us on our way. The alternative was finding a trailer far far away from home.  Have a good trip. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Grasshopper

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9961
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 07:51:13 pm »
1+ on Cliff's comment. I've got 50k plus on mine and the only issue I've had is flats. Which, after the first time :-[, I now carry plugs and a compressor for.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 08:03:05 pm »
Where ya goin? Were all heading to PA.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Enigmatic Gary

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 08:42:04 pm »
Myself and two others will be riding out from Austin Texas to Los Angeles California, do some site seeing, ride PCH and head on back

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 12:14:54 am »
Myself and two others will be riding out from Austin Texas to Los Angeles California, do some site seeing, ride PCH and head on back
Well hell touch base with the SW group. They can show you some stuff, provide some support and give advice. Post up your plans on the SW area board. Good folks that can help out with planning.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Rusty

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 12:35:02 am »
Hi Gary! If you are coming out anytime after August 1st please get a hold of me and I can show you some of sights and great roads while you are out here! We have plenty of other riders too out here that would show you around also!

If you get on Facebook we have a SoCal Concours Group site too!

See you soon! Safe travels!

Russ

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Tricycle
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12669
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 01:54:24 am »
Gary,

The tire plugs, the ones that look like rope covered with tar, work really good as long as they are fresh.  Once in awhile I find one stuck in a tire that I'm changing and the rider will tell me that it was put in there a year or more ago.  Just make sure you start your trip with new ones.  The other thing I would suggest is watch a video, or two, on YouTube on how to use these plugs for a roadside repair.  If your going to start your trip with new tires, you might want to do a practice run on one of your old tires, even if it's already removed from the bike will be helpful.  As for a compressor to bring with you, I highly recommend the one made by BestRest Cycle Pump. Best rated pump by Motorcycle Consumer News a few years in a row now. Stay away from the 12V compressor that Slime sells.

Have a safe ride!
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 03:23:31 am »
ANY tire pump, is better than no tire pump. nothing wrong with the slime pump. Air is air, and when you need it, and don't have it.. well.. hey.
just don't fall prey to the "CO2" thing... or "Stop=nGo_and Stop_and Go" non glued plugs.. get fresh gummy wprms, in a kit, leave the kit sealed, and when you need it.. the glue will be still usable.. and USE THE GLUE.. Slater that plug up with it.. Coat the reamer with the glue also, and leave it plugging the hole, and pull it out and jamb the glue spooged rope in..

when done right.. it's Nirvana, and will NEVER fail.. as for pumps.. meh.. buy one.. just make sure you by one that doesn't blow a fuse, maybe buy one that has clamps for connectors, they all work.. you need 42 psi. thats all..

turning someone away from the Slime pump, is not conducive to making a pump available for a moderate price, in a compact form, to be carried for an emergency.. you don't need a $150 pump...  That, is totally ridiculous.. sorry, but just my honest opinion after 50 years.. an online "best pump" is not the same as "a pump, you may use once in a lifetime"..

I carry a Cambell/Housfield unit, cost me $26 bucks 20 years ago, at a WalMart.. it works perfectly, filled probably 100 bike tires on rides and rallies with it.  Compact, and Amp conscious (10A draw, or less) is a winner.. I've scavenged "pumps" from "emergency road repair kits" and broke them apart, put them into small plastic boxes.. i bought those "kits" at garage sales for like $5, pulled out the pump, added clips and carried them.. they all work..
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:39:57 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 03:48:11 am »
now.... this even sounds like an entertaining "challenge" for parking lot festivities, at the rally next week..
Kinda like when I did the "Tire plug Seminar" at the '07 National, where I supplied plugs, and invited all others, to take the "plug the 1/8" drilled hole challenge" in a wheel I brought..

I have a tire with 37 plugs, in my garage.. it was a fun day.

So...

Bring on the pumps..
Tire inflation challenge 2019.. parking lot, at the rally hotel.. Monday Morning about 11 a.m.  cheapest vs $$, fastest inflation, vs Fail...

everybody throw $5 in the hat, winner takes all..  then we drill holes in tires....(just kidding, we ain't drilling holes again.. bt/dt)
Sounds like a winner to me
 :) :) :) :)) :great: :great: :great:

Offline ginzburg

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 04:42:52 am »
It seems like a lot of new cars come without spares. I sort of wonder if one of the OEM car pumps is better than any of the others. Maybe they just give them away at the junkyard if you are lucky.

I looked at the review of the Best Rest. It also talks about the other pumps.

https://bestrestproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/MCNEWS-August-2017-Mini-Compressor-JCW-1.pdf

I can't believe how slow the pumps are. It would take 3-4 hours to fill the tire 37 times. Wow!

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 11:16:37 pm »
I do a week long trip every year and make sure I remove the battery and tighten and sand all connections prior to leaving. The first year I had mine I was in the middle of nowhere and had to do it in a gas station parking area. After stopping for gas I hit the button and all lights went out. Scared me since I hadn't known about this problem and had to figure it out myself. It needs to be done every year anyway so do it before you leave home on a trip!!
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:41:53 am »
I do a week long trip every year and make sure I remove the battery and tighten and sand all connections prior to leaving. The first year I had mine I was in the middle of nowhere and had to do it in a gas station parking area. After stopping for gas I hit the button and all lights went out. Scared me since I hadn't known about this problem and had to figure it out myself. It needs to be done every year anyway so do it before you leave home on a trip!!

those in the know, have to give you +200 thumbs up, on that most seemingly simple advice..
A resistive connection not only reduces your cranking capacity, but most of all, it reduces the connectivity to allow "low amp charging, during riding" from occurring.. and in the end, if it don't charge... well it only "amps' in one direction...

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

I'm only tossin 20, just to say "you got the messege..
ride safe...