Author Topic: Comparing regular risers to pullback risers and wedges  (Read 5984 times)

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Comparing regular risers to pullback risers and wedges
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 04:58:22 pm »
I'm 5'9" and happy with the AST 2" pullback risers for the price. I am angled very slightly forward. didn't realize it at first just because it was way more comfortable than stock.  I cant really justify spending the money on the adjustable Helibars unless that money tree starts bearing fruit!

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12697
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 12:42:50 am »
Realize this is an old topic, but for those of you with helibar risers plus wedges, did you have any issues with brake or clutch lines?

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 04:12:35 am »
Realize this is an old topic, but for those of you with helibar risers plus wedges, did you have any issues with brake or clutch lines?
I have had the 2” risers on one bike with no extension needed, second bike I have the 2” up and 2” back with no extension needed!

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 06:00:58 am »
I've gone back and forth with 2" pullback raisers from AST, hoping to find happy medium. There is no such thing I've concluded. I installed AST 2" pullbacks raisers back on the bike, added side winglets from ProjektD.
I haven't tried wedges, however. I've thought about it. I've simulated wedges using washers (without riding the bike in the process) and found it to be too awkward for me. I guess we all have different hands and hold handlebars in different ways. I've found simulated wedges caused ubnormal position of my hands on the bars.
Raisers along with stock screen and winglets make me comfortable.
YMMV...

Cheers...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:07:08 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline el paso

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10048
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 03:58:34 pm »
Just my 2 cents I’m soon to be 71 and 5’10 and have Murph’s risers and wedges and suits me fine. Just wish it would get warmer.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
I tried the wedges on a trip from Pittsburgh to Iowa, and made it to the first service plaza in Ohio and pulled off and removed the wedges. I would have stopped earlier if there was a safe place to remove them. The angle was anything but natural for me. The rest of the ride that day was comfortable.

I still alternate between stock and the risers from Murph's. The risers are usually installed.

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11292
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 01:31:29 am »
I believe I got the AST risers that also set back about an inch and that does the trick for me at 5'-10".

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 12:30:07 pm »
I did not care for my wedges when I first installed them. I liked the new angle, but the bars were too narrow.

It was not a difficult fix.  I unscrewed each "handlebar" from its riser. The bar slid into its riser...maybe 1 inch, or  a little less.

Before I slid the bars, back into their risers, I added some flat washers. 2-3, per side.

I made sure the pin would still index, in the riser, but the washers made the bar, grip to grip, about 10mm wider. Not a lot, obviously, but enough.

For me, this was a big improvement over stock.   

Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 09:06:24 am »
I did not care for my wedges when I first installed them. I liked the new angle, but the bars were too narrow.

It was not a difficult fix.  I unscrewed each "handlebar" from its riser. The bar slid into its riser...maybe 1 inch, or  a little less.

Before I slid the bars, back into their risers, I added some flat washers. 2-3, per side.

I made sure the pin would still index, in the riser, but the washers made the bar, grip to grip, about 10mm wider. Not a lot, obviously, but enough.

For me, this was a big improvement over stock.   

..... just an fyi ......

philipintexas (http://www.philsfarkels.com/home.html) makes 1" longer bars for the C14. I have them (and the wedges) on my bike and it works for me. He doesn't have them listed on his site as it's a very low requested item. Send him (philipintexas) a pm if your interested on getting a set.

Now back to the original discussion.......
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)