Author Topic: Comparing regular risers to pullback risers and wedges  (Read 4563 times)

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
  • Membership Level: Active
Comparing regular risers to pullback risers and wedges
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:41:15 pm »
A couple months ago, I traded my C10 for a C14.  After the first 700 miles, I've determined that it would be more comfortable to move the handlebars back and/or up.  There are several options available, the normal risers up to 2", the pullback risers from AST, "Phil's wedges" from Murph's Kits, and adjustable handlebars from Helibars.  I'm 6' tall with reasonably long arms, so I don't need a huge adjustment, just something to allow me to sit up a little taller.

I would like to hear from other C14 riders what they have tried and what results they obtained from implementing their modification.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski ST-15F & STX-900
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11886
Re: Comparing regular risers to pullback risers and wedges
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:59:52 pm »
I went with the 2" risers from Murphs but am also going to add the wedges bringing the bars back a bit and the two end closer together. For me it would seem that small amount of adjustment would be "just what the Dr. ordered."

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:10:57 pm »
I installed  the 2" risers and wedges.
Took the wedges off and I'm happier without them. {they changed the angle of the bars in a way I didn't like}..
I'm 5'- 9".

I think I would like the pull backs, but undecided at this point.

Ride safe, Te
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 00 and 86 Connie's

To contribute to "OtP", DO IT NOW!!
It's EZ: Go to the top of the Forum and follow the steps.

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:44:30 pm »
I too went with 2" risers from Murphs and I like them a lot. I'm about your height and it made a big difference. Was considering the wedges until I rode another 14 with them. I didn't notice a big difference as far as back more but what I did notice and really did not like was how it pulls the bars closer together. Worse case is try them, if you don't like them you will have no trouble getting rid of them. IMO your build, riding style and wallet will dictate your preference. If I had $800.00 to spend on bars I would probably be singing a different tune.  :motonoises: 
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Murph

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 2769
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:05:11 pm »

I run one of our standard risers on the left bar and a riser with a wedge under the right  :motonoises:
 not symmetrical but works for me  ;D...hummm I wonder if one arms longer than the other

murph

Offline Jon

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 11:10:49 pm »
Been riding with just 2" risers and it's been much better than stock...not sure if the wedges will improve things or not.   I am a little concerned with bars being narrowed...we'll see after I get a chance to install and do some riding.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:59:58 pm »
The narrowing wasn't a problem for me.
The angle just seemed wrong.
They are a quality product and will work for some folks.
Just, not me.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:28 am »
I have a 2011 model.
I am 53, 6' with average length arms.
In stock form, I was leaned forward too far, with too much pressure placed on my elbows and wrists.
I now have 2" risers, AST setback adapter plates, AND Phil's wedges.
Now I sit only slightly forward, with no pain in my arms or wrists. Everything is placed where it should have been to start with.

Another thing that hurt on long trips were my hip joints. Stock peg placements were a bit too high and back for me. Lowering brackets and AST plates took care of that problem.

Also changed the seat to the Kawi Gel.

Love my bike now, and can ride 10 hr days on long tours.

I say, each individual should figure out their own personal comfort level.
Some folks may be perfectly fine with the stock positions, and argue that's the "sport" part of the bike's character.   >:D

Others, like me, may want the best compromise of both worlds, and set up the way I have.  :)

The coolest thing about a C14 is it's huge aftermarket to choose from, so you can modify as much or as little as you want to! Not every bike can boast this.
 ;)
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Ronnie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 01:08:40 pm »
I originally had 3/4" riser plates(came from the dealer like this), and it just wasn't enough to be comfortable on longer trips(I'm 5' 9").  About 6 months ago I ordered the AST 2" pullback risers and it made a big difference.  I haven't noticed the bars being any narrower and I'm still able to flog it thru the mountains just as well as before.
Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline Spackler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »
I added 2" risers, AST pullback adapters, and the Wedges. I'm happy with the results of all of those things combined. I think I'd like to go to the Helibar Horizon ST bars, but for a fraction of the cost of those, I have a very comfortable setup now.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 03:53:24 pm »
I originally had 3/4" riser plates(came from the dealer like this), and it just wasn't enough to be comfortable on longer trips(I'm 5' 9").  About 6 months ago I ordered the AST 2" pullback risers and it made a big difference.  I haven't noticed the bars being any narrower and I'm still able to flog it thru the mountains just as well as before.

Ronnie, The pullbacks do not narrow the bars, like the wedges do.
They just move the bars back.
Plus they raise the overall position because of the 2"..

Your setup is similar to what I would like to try.
Will you be at the National?
If yes, we can compare seating/bar configuration..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Ronnie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »
Ted, please excuse my ignorance as I'm fairly new to the COG forum.  What is " The National" ?  I'm assuming some kind of Concours meet?
Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 06:43:35 pm »
A couple months ago, I traded my C10 for a C14.  After the first 700 miles, I've determined that it would be more comfortable to move the handlebars back and/or up.  There are several options available, the normal risers up to 2", the pullback risers from AST, "Phil's wedges" from Murph's Kits, and adjustable handlebars from Helibars.  I'm 6' tall with reasonably long arms, so I don't need a huge adjustment, just something to allow me to sit up a little taller.

I would like to hear from other C14 riders what they have tried and what results they obtained from implementing their modification.

Had both, "risers" and "risers with pull-back" and ended up back at stock. I LOVE the stock position! I ride the bike the way it's supposed to be ridden and love it that way! After adding risers and pull-back's I realized that I was trying to make the Concours into an RT or Trophy and I wasn't ready for that. I will ride it that way until I can't (if that time ever comes because I plan on living and riding in the more "sporty" position forever) and if I need to change the position I'll move into a bike that offers that! That's my take on it! :beerchug:

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 07:10:36 pm »
Ted, please excuse my ignorance as I'm fairly new to the COG forum.  What is " The National" ?  I'm assuming some kind of Concours meet?

Oh boy, now you've gone and done it Ronnie. Stand by for red flashing banners and monkeys cat-walking across the screen  ;D
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Ronnie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 07:57:11 pm »
LOL, oh well...it won't be the first time.  :)  I'm assuming this is what you were referring to http://concours.org/national/2016-national-rally-main-page ?  If so, I doubt I will make it to that.  I would love to, but I noticed the dates are a Mon-Fri and not over a weekend and I have too many other things planned for my vacation days.  Why wouldn't they plan it for like a Thur-Sun so people don't have to use so much vacation time? 
Not sure where you live, but I have a place in Chimney Rock NC that I'm at every 2 or 3 weeks.  I do a lot of riding in the mountains, so if you are close to that area let me know and we can meet up and ride.  Then you can try mine out with the AST pullback risers and see what you think.
Ronnie

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 08:53:23 pm »
Ted, please excuse my ignorance as I'm fairly new to the COG forum.  What is " The National" ?  I'm assuming some kind of Concours meet?   :-\
Why wouldn't they plan it for like a Thur-Sun so people don't have to use so much vacation time?

OMG!!!!!
It's the big one Ethyl... My heart,,, MY HEART!!!!!  :c002:

Quick,,,  someone get the Flog-o-matic.   :41:

He dun went and ask'd the wrong questions. 
          I feel a floggin' commin'!!  <evil grin> :nananana:

Err Ronnie, the reason it's a weeklong is,, it ain't a weekend gatherin'.
                                                           it's the COG National event.
                                                                  {sed with Banners flying and Trumpets playing in the background}  ;)
                                                                    :1rij: :1rij: Taa, ta, da, DDdddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  :1rij: :1rij:

Folks come from all over the Nation. (some further)     
     Compared to some,,, Helen Georgia is pretty close to Chimney Rock NC.
      Fer instance,,, (I live in Houston) Some are coming from Canada/California/Europe..
      And, since your close,,,  You could arrive on Thurs. and depart the Sunday after.
          (You wouldn't want to, but ya could)

By the way; S'cuse me for pickin' on ya...
                      But, ya gave me a chance....  :nananana:
                          Couldn't help myself.........

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:00:41 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Ronnie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 12:23:15 pm »
No problem Ted.....I can take it as good as I can dish it out.  LOL   I may try to take a couple days off and head that way.  I'll know better when it comes closer to time.  My wife and I have a 4 day trip planned to Kentucky the first week of June(on the bike of course), so I'll have to play it by ear.
Ronnie

Offline rmills944

• Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 06:21:07 pm »
Just, not me.

Ride safe, Ted
At this point I'd agree. I had wedges with risers on my connie and liked them at first. Felt sporty and brought the bars where I liked them. I did notice what others were seeing. i was using only the outside edge of my hand to hold the bar as it was in an odd angle.
I got a new connie and changed from a Corbin to the Baldwin GT. I left them off and just have risers and I'm happy without the wedges. My reach seems to be better as well, as the Corbin was really low and the new seat is higher and move forward sitting.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:14:18 pm by rmills944 »
If it ain't fast and won't corner... Crome it.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »
Just, not me.

Ride safe, Ted
At this point I'd agree. I had them on my connie and liked them at first. Felt sporty and brought the bars where I liked them. I did notice what others were seeing. i was using only the outside edge of my hand to hold the bar as it was in an odd angle.
I got a new connie and changed from a Corbin to the Baldwin GT. I left them off and I'm happy without them. My reach seems to be better as well, as the Corbin was really low and the new seat is higher and move forward sitting.

Stock height for the bars is AWESOME!

Baldwin GT seat...even AWESOMER-ER!

Offline rmills944

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 08:12:56 pm »
I should specify I have bar risers, just not the wedges anymore.
If it ain't fast and won't corner... Crome it.

Offline WingCon

• My other motorcycle is (make that was) an Airbus A320.
  • Road Bike
    • Motorcycle trip round trip Tacoma, WA to Prudhoe Bay, AK
  • COG#: 9825
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 10:42:47 pm »
I had full out helibars on my C14, and although they were very comfortable for long distance, I took them off because they defeated the purpose of owning a "sporty" type of bike.  (I also have an 1800 Wing so that's my fall back long distance machine.)  I put the stock bars back on, but as the stock position is still a bit too "radical" for my 61 year old 5'8" frame, I just ordered helibar risers.  They pull back 3/4" and move up 2".  They also have a female adapter for a Ram Mount which is very cool. You can also get one with a Powerlet outlet built into it.  You can order the proper size Ram Mount ball right on the Helibar website.  I'll put my Garmin there.  Going to give them a try.

https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-Tour-Performance%E2%84%A2-handlebar-risers-for-Kawasaki-Concours14/176.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:53:16 pm by WingCon »
http://alaskaprudhoebaymotorcycletrip.wordpress.com/

2003 Goldwing ABS, 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600,  2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray

Offline Spackler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 10:55:37 pm »
I had full out helibars on my C14, and although they were very comfortable for long distance, I took them off because they defeated the purpose of owning a "sporty" type of bike.  (I also have an 1800 Wing so that's my fall back long distance machine.)  I put the stock bars back on, but as the stock position is still a bit too "radical" for my 61 year old 5'8" frame, I just ordered helibar risers.  They pull back 3/4" and move up 2".  They also have a female adapter for a Ram Mount which is very cool. You can also get one with a Powerlet outlet built into it.  You can order the proper size Ram Mount ball right on the Helibar website.  I'll put my Garmin there.  Going to give them a try.

https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-Tour-Performance%E2%84%A2-handlebar-risers-for-Kawasaki-Concours14/176.html

If you still have the Helibar horizon bars and want to sell them, let me know.

Offline WingCon

• My other motorcycle is (make that was) an Airbus A320.
  • Road Bike
    • Motorcycle trip round trip Tacoma, WA to Prudhoe Bay, AK
  • COG#: 9825
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 11:04:32 pm »
I had full out helibars on my C14, and although they were very comfortable for long distance, I took them off because they defeated the purpose of owning a "sporty" type of bike.  (I also have an 1800 Wing so that's my fall back long distance machine.)  I put the stock bars back on, but as the stock position is still a bit too "radical" for my 61 year old 5'8" frame, I just ordered helibar risers.  They pull back 3/4" and move up 2".  They also have a female adapter for a Ram Mount which is very cool. You can also get one with a Powerlet outlet built into it.  You can order the proper size Ram Mount ball right on the Helibar website, although Murphs' includes this option too.  I'll put my Garmin there.  Going to give them a try.  I was thinking about Murph's risers with the wedge, but my wrist position right now is perfect, so I don't want to mess with something that works.  I saw the reviews below about the wedge canting the wrists inwards on the Murpsh's wedges, and I don't want that.  Worse case I can add the Murphs' wedges to the helibar risers if I need to with the extra long bolts Murph's provides.  The Helibar risers raise the bars higher 3/4" higher than the Murphs' riser's, that's why I'm going this direction. 
Ride safe!!      ;)

If you still have the Helibar horizon bars and want to sell them, let me know.

Sorry, they went out with the trash.  Were scratched up and I misplaced one of the parts. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:17:05 am by WingCon »
http://alaskaprudhoebaymotorcycletrip.wordpress.com/

2003 Goldwing ABS, 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600,  2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
  • "The path of the righteous"
    • Company Website under construction
  • COG#: 12260
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 02:22:49 pm »
The trash? OMG powder coat will fix all of the scratches AND... Heli Bars manufacturer  have parts. You must be LOADED 😆😂
Denny LaMaster

2005 Concours 1000 in Pearl Lustre Beige. On/Off petcock, Madstad 18" bronze screen, Throttle Meister, Murph's tip over bars w Hiway Pegs, Avons Storm 3D 110/80/18 -Cobra 160/80/16 SWEET... 2012 C14 Arabian Red, K&N  Russell Day Long dual heat, Phils Rack, ST Horizon Bars, Bestem 929 w top rack / LEDs, Buck's Hwy Pegs, MadStad Bracket on CalSci XL tall/wide. Time to Ride...

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 04:08:52 pm »
Update; I ended up with Murph's 1 5/8" tall risers and added a set of AST Pullbacks on top..
The Pullbacks are 1/2 taller than the riders. (Making the total height 2 1/8" taller than stock)

Pretty happy with the arrangement, but considering the idea of lowering the Risers (5/8").
Total height would then be 1 1/2" taller than stock.

Yea, I know, I'm never happy.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:33:36 pm by connie_rider »