Author Topic: Concours 1400 as 1st ever motorcycle for new rider  (Read 1554 times)

Offline wayne-o

• Bicycle
  • More Testarossa than Transformers
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12890
  • Membership Level: Active
Concours 1400 as 1st ever motorcycle for new rider
« on: March 17, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
On the FZ09 forum there has beem discussion if that bike is appropriate for a 1st bike. In this wide world of motorcycling do you think anyone ever bought one to learn on ?
The Urban Ballet with millimeters to spare

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
Re: Concours 1400 as 1st ever motorcycle for new rider
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:42:02 pm »
On the FZ09 forum there has beem discussion if that bike is appropriate for a 1st bike. In this wide world of motorcycling do you think anyone ever bought one to learn on ?
It wouldn't surprise me if someone had.  Would I recommend a C14 to a new rider?  NOPE!  This is one of those subjects that can be a bit controversial to say the least.  I started on a 100cc dirt bike then proceeded on to a 250, 400, 750, 1000, 1100.  A new rider can get in a heap of trouble quickly with a C14.  YMMV :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:47:06 pm by Bud »
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Jeffrey

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12338
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:43:13 pm »
In my opinion, the C14 is a great forth or fifth bike...  Way too much weight and power to learn on.  Not to mention the less than friendly low speed shenanigans.
2015 Candy Green C14.  Two Bros slip on.  Steve's 2017 EVO flash. Phil's rack. Front & Back Canyon Cages - already paid for themselves! MCcruise, Traxxion AK20 & Penske.

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12217
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 01:36:06 pm »

I'm with Bud and Jeffrey...go to the 5 minute mark of this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzx6Zwcj6U
'14 C14 Black

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 02:06:33 pm »
The video says it well.  I would include the 600cc sport bikes as bikes to avoid when learning to ride.  Wait...those are less than half the cc's of the C14.  Yes, and they'll break 140 mph.

I'd look for a bike that would get me up to freeway speeds.  A 250cc bike will do that.  Get a used naked bike that has been dropped a few times.  You will drop your bike.  With the bike I'm describing, it won't break your heart when you drop it.  And one more ding or scrape on the side won't show.  Since it is used, hopefully you got a good deal on it...and then you can sell it for what you bought it for.

Ride that for six months to a year at least.  By then you'll know what you really want in a bike. 

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 02:45:07 pm »
In my opinion, the C14 is a great forth or fifth bike...  Way too much weight and power to learn on.  Not to mention the less than friendly low speed shenanigans.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline wayne-o

• Bicycle
  • More Testarossa than Transformers
  • COG#: 12890
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 04:03:39 pm »
I sure would like to meet the person and shake his/her hand if they out there. Someone like Shaq maybe but bike might be too small for him.
The Urban Ballet with millimeters to spare

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 04:32:41 pm »
A C14 to learn to ride on would be a mistake. The first bike at least should be something used and midsized. Keep in mind falling off a smaller used bike will be cheaper and probably not fatal. A great starter bike might be a Ninja 250. It will do the speed limit plus. Easy to ride. The first step should be a motorcycle safety class.

Some might say don't waste your money on a starter bike and just go for the one you want. Based on personal experience getting a starter bike is well worth the money. My BIL bought a big new Harley while in the Army in Germany as his first motorcycle. He didn't survive a brick wall while making a turn. No drugs or alcohol in his system.

Starting off with a C14 would almost be like learning to drive in a Lambo.  Both would equal trouble.   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 09:04:48 pm »

I'd tell them go full Dress Harley.....

safe first..."learner bike..."

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:27:11 am by Gumby »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline mirage

• Tricycle
  • Walking stick
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 09:48:14 pm »
You need a bike you can learn on. One that is forgiving and doesn't break the bank when you dump it. You will most likely dump your first bike. I would not considered it to be a beginners bike for ton of reasons. 1)Weight, 2)Power, 3)it pulls from low RPMs and can loaf around in a higher gear at low rpm with no strain. But you need to have it in a gear/rpm that will get you out of trouble in traffic and it's too easy to have it in 5th gear at 30 mph. 4)$ if you dump it, 5)Have you ever worked or maintained a bike before? My 2 cents.

Starting off with a C14 would almost be like learning to drive in a Lambo.  Both would equal trouble.   
Dan
2004 ZRX
2006 KLR
2014 Concours

Offline IBAJIM

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12891
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 10:16:47 pm »
If you know someone who you would like to see hospitalized ( or worse ) recommend a C-14 as a first bike ( I'm kidding, but that would probably be the result ).

A starter bike doesn't need to be a newer bike.  Something like an older  550 Honda, etc. would be good. Not much to buy and probably could get your money out of it when you sell it.  A 250 Ninja might be too slow to be safe on the freeway, but a good parking lot starter bike.  Years ago a friend of mine bought a 350 Honda and asked me to ride it home for him.  I considered it dangerous on the freeway - not enough power to get out of the way of the cagers and for merging, etc.  Just because a bike will do 65 or so doesn't make it safe enough.

Just my 2-cents.
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 10:58:49 pm »
I've never ridden one, but I'm certainly not going to let that stop me from trying to sound like an expert  :great:
How about a 650 Ninja or 650 Versys?
From guys that have ridden them, and from my wife riding her 650 Vulcan S (essentially the same powertrain) they are light (~500 Lbs), decent torque, but not crazy high, more than enough power to keep up with any sane traffic speeds, and the torque curve isn't peaky like the 4-Cyl 600 bikes. I would think that a 500 Ninja might also fit the bill.
My first bike was a BMW R75/6. Similar characteristics to the Ninja/Versys, except weaker brakes, looser suspension. I think I could recommend a similar 1st bike to others.

Offline Illo

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:29:49 pm »
I really liked my first bike, a 2009 Suzuki S50.  That bike is very light, only 450 pounds, with very fast acceleration.  It can keep up, or beat cruisers up to 1300 CC.  Easy to ride.  They're not fuel injected.  It takes them a few minutes to warm up and run smooth.  You can get them cheep.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/suzuki/2009-suzuki-boulevard-s50-ar43790.html
2012 Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 11:41:39 pm »

way to start an oil/tire/ best bike ever thread... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I knew this would turn out like "----------------------------"

:great: :great: :great: :great:

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 02:18:28 am »
C14 is an absolute "no" for a first bike. It is very tall and very heavy with an awful lot of bodywork.
Don't forget that Earth's gravitational influence on new motorbikes goes as the square of the cost of replacement bodywork. Double that if you are a beginner...

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 03:55:16 pm »
No C14 for first bike. Like learning to fly, don't get in a hot aircraft, learn the basics and then go to a jet! $$$$$
 :beerchug:
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 04:44:41 pm »
A C-14 as a first bike is a waste of a good C-14.  My experience with those who consider large, powerful bikes as a first bike is that they are usually idiotic dilettantes with way more money than sense.  If they don't destroy the bike and/or kill themselves on the first attempt, the experience is usually still bad enough to dampen their enthusiasm and cause them to seek another mid-life crisis diversion.

My nearly 20 y/o son just learned to ride a friend's 250 enduro-type bike, but there is absolutely no way I'd let him try my Connie yet.  I love them both too much!

Offline IBAJIM

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12891
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 08:08:28 pm »
MOB - What happened to the Chick ?   I miss her.
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:13:17 pm »
Rich, I missed it. Mind posting it again so I might form an educated opinion?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 10:45:43 pm »
it will just be ditched again....
why would I do that? ::) :truce:

it will just p/o those that found it offensive. :nananana:

sorry, I may send you a link to it tho... :))

Offline NJ_Jim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12895
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 06:42:25 pm »
I’ve only been riding 4 years, my Connie is my third bike. 

If every bike demanded from its rider what a Connie does, there’d be a whole lot less active riders.  It’s heavy, it’s tippy at slow speeds, it’s tall, it’s powerful, and it’s incredibly fast. 

I started on a 1992 Nighthawk 750.  It was perfect for me as I’m a pretty big guy.  Speedy enough to be fun; not so speedy that it was difficult to control.  And so forgiving of less than good technique. 

Then I got a 2001 BMW R1100R.  Was a good next step:  Same weight but a lil more top heavy at slow speeds (which surprised me - thought that Boxer motor woulda made it feel less tippy at slow speed), a lil taller in the seat, a lil more powerful/torquey.  Almost as forgiving of less than good technique as my Nighthawk. 

Still own both of them.

Then I got the Connie last November.  Got less than 2000 miles on top of it.  You guys know better than I about this bike.  All I will add is it is NOT forgiving of less than good technique.  If you’re not using leg and footpeg pressure, and scooting around a bit on the seat in the twisties, this bike is resistant to turning.  At first I thought I’d made a mistake with my purchase.  “This bike is a handful!”   And then I realized it was me.  This is a great bike, but not for a beginner.
2015 Black C14
2001 BMW R1100R
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 07:08:00 pm »

If every bike demanded from its rider what a Connie does, there’d be a whole lot less active riders.  It’s heavy, it’s tippy at slow speeds, it’s tall, it’s powerful, and it’s incredibly fast. 

I started on a 1992 Nighthawk 750.  It was perfect for me as I’m a pretty big guy.  Speedy enough to be fun; not so speedy that it was difficult to control.  And so forgiving of less than good technique. 

Then I got a 2001 BMW R1100R.  Was a good next step:  Same weight but a lil more top heavy at slow speeds (which surprised me - thought that Boxer motor woulda made it feel less tippy at slow speed), a lil taller in the seat, a lil more powerful/torquey.  Almost as forgiving of less than good technique as my Nighthawk. 

Still own both of them.

Then I got the Connie last November.  Got less than 2000 miles on top of it.  You guys know better than I about this bike.  All I will add is it is NOT forgiving of less than good technique.  If you’re not using leg and footpeg pressure, and scooting around a bit on the seat in the twisties, this bike is resistant to turning.  At first I thought I’d made a mistake with my purchase.  “This bike is a handful!”   And then I realized it was me.  This is a great bike, but not for a beginner.
The only time I felt like my son's C14 was resistant to turning was when he first got it.  The tires were squared off a bit.  After a new set of Pirelli Angel GT's, that problem was fixed.  Low tire pressure would do the same I suppose.  I guess it all depends on what you're comparing to as well.  Connie's kind of a big girl.....and you're right, Connie don't forgive!!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline NJ_Jim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12895
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 10:59:37 pm »

Still own both of them.

The only time I felt like my son's C14 was resistant to turning was when he first got it.  The tires were squared off a bit.  After a new set of Pirelli Angel GT's, that problem was fixed.  Low tire pressure would do the same I suppose.  I guess it all depends on what you're comparing to as well.  Connie's kind of a big girl.....and you're right, Connie don't forgive!!

Love Angel GTs.  Put them on my Nighthawk - the difference between them and the OEM spec’d bias ply tires was night and day.  Transformed the handling!

The BMW is such a light bike once it’s under way.  Really has a whole different feel from the Connie in the twisties.
2015 Black C14
2001 BMW R1100R
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750

Offline Road Runner

• Road Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 11:20:46 pm »
I too find the C-14 nimble in twisties w/ Angel GTs. Of course nimble is a relative term ... compared to what? I also don't find the Connie heavy, but I came from much heavier bike, so when I found the C-14 (or it found me), it's been great match.

For a first bike ... no way!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 12:17:47 am »
I like the response from a 4 year rider... :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:
actually it's perfect.

NJ_Jim, 4 years is the point of "reality", and it's great...
both prior bikes being 150#+ less weight, and 20 years or more old,(and nekid bikes.. no plastic, and pretty slip stream rides) really makes a significant point.. (I have a "78 KZ in my barn... and an '87 Conni..both pretty nekid and both modified; that noted, the C14 is an "eye opener", for anyone jumping on one.. I personally won't let anyone ride mine, that has never ridden a "behemoth/heavy/techno superior" bike..that will kill/maim within 100 yard of a twist on the throttle.   maybe they could ride it, and not crash...but considering when you stop.. and hold it... between your legs alone.;  but I can't take that, or have faith they won't.... I've let a couple of close friends "straddle" my bike, and almost let them ride it.. none of them had ever ridden anything like it.. and I saw the "fear" clearly in those eyes... some were 20 year riders... (they actually thought about the "stopping/standing there thing" during a ride) actually none of them ever went 120+mph in 1/4 mile,(yeah it was at the end of  acceleration at that point...) on a lighter aircooled 4 cyl drag bike like i campaigned in the '70-'80' eras.. let alone being subjected to the Adrenalin rush of a bike that WILL do 150+.. over and over, like brushing teeth... not saying they were wussies, or anything about "courage"... they simply knew it was something NOT to be taken lightly.

When an experienced rider, mounts this bike, and picks it up off the side stand, and moves it back and forth... many of them KNOW it isn't some toy. You owners will all come to that assessment after time... some may take longer than others, and when you get on a lesser bike.. it will feel like a bicycle.

rock on. Hide your FOB and never let your kid ride it is all I can say.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:42:34 am by MAN OF BLUES »