Author Topic: Concours C14 v. FJR 1300?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline FishrCutB8

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Concours C14 v. FJR 1300?
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:12:08 pm »
I am looking at a new bike to replace my 2012 Ducati Multistrada.

What I LOVE about the Multi:
- Power: the 1200 has it, in abundance, and wherever you need it
- Handling: when you throw it into a corner, it goes exactly where you want it to go
- Ergos: I am 6' with a 32.5" inseam and I can ride the bike all day long
- Styling: let's face it, the Italians can make a paper clip sexy
- In the world of Sport-touring, it is firmly on the SPORT side, which is where want to be

However:
- Reliability: for a relatively new bike, it's not been reliable. I kind of expected minor problems too pop up. (but not larger ones like blown fork seals).
- Cost: this is NOT a cheap bike when it comes too upkeep
- Accessibility: it is also not easy to get my fat American sausage fingers in to do my own work; I don't do that a lot, but something simple like an oil change should be DIY, no?
- Chain maintenance: certainly at a point where I would prefer a shaft, but I recognize there is a weight trade off
- Wind protection: seriously, how can they not have this sorted. The buffeting and noise at 80+ mph is awful, in spite of numerous adjustments and screens.

I am curious, especially from those who have owned both a Connie and FJR:
- Why di you choose the Connie?
- Particular joys or regrets?
- Things you wish you'd known?
- Pricing OTD? Are these bikes that move off the floor? Likelihood of getting a deal? (Interestingly, I have seen 2015 FJR 1300A's on sale, but 6th gear and ES has an appeal)?

Appreciate your thoughtful input - THANK YOU!

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Concours C14 v. FJR 1300?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 07:17:46 pm »
Depends what type of riding you are planning on doing and how each bike "fits" you.  Try reading some comparison road tests.  Each has their pluses and minuses.

Put some time & thought into your decision.

Offline DDZX14

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12763
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:19:08 pm »
Use the "SERACH" box.  Plenty of info already discussed.
http://forum.cog-online.org/other-motorcycles/time-to-move-on/msg334837/#msg334837
2012 ZX14r, modded for Touring
New-Old Member (94-99 #1691)
US Army 71-74, Vietnam

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:13:22 pm »
It checked all the boxes. The deal was great. Kawasaki are very reliable. The bike can be used as daily rider. It has the sports DNA and it can cruise along. It has saddle bags. The seating was comfortable
Haven't owned it that long. But I have a big smile for last few days.
None. I did my research. The bike has various mods available, but for me just the stock work fine. Its a bike that checks many boxes!
- Pricing OTD? Are these bikes that move off the floor? Likelihood of getting a deal? (Interestingly, I have seen 2015 FJR 1300A's on sale, but 6th gear and ES has an appeal)?
Pricing OTD depends on the dealer. Some places had lower MRP but the OTD was higher than other dealer. One dealer matched the lowest OTD and I got it from them. I think they have good deals available on the 2018. MRPS is about 11,500

I got my Concours few days ago. I was looking at various bikes. Ducati, BMW, Honda, Triumph etc. Ducati and BMW are notorious for high maintenance. The dealer himself said don't get a Ducati if you wanna ride everyday. BMW though good are actually the least reliable or cost to much to maintain as per the statistics. I passed on all the European makers. Honda doesn't has a bike similar to the Concours pedigree. Yamaha FJR though a good bike was a bit more expensive. Rest just depends what strikes your heart.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 01:39:25 am »
Bang for the buck....there is nothing like the C14. Buying a brand new leftover model  ($10 to 12 grand)or a slightly used one ($5 to 8 grand) there are amazing deals to be had. Tons of aftermarket support, outstanding reliability, and a great motor and power train make this bike a great pick. Electronic suspension would be nice, cruise would be nice for sure, but I set my suspension up once the way I like it, put a throttlemeister on it, and with my ECU flashed there is no comparison. Amazing warranties available too!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:44:19 am by Dirtwiz »
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:46:51 am »
Like most of Italian automobiles and motorcycles, drama runs higher than life itself.
To believe Italian made personal transportation has any sense of reliability regardless what marketing sage touts is like believing in miracles. If you do believe in miracles, I rest my case...
Italian designed cars/bikes belong in a museum, a private collection not among masses where reliability and practicality are pillars of consumer ideology.
As much as I desire to own an Italian bike, I cannot afford mental distress reliability nightmare comes with it as a package deal.
I am among many sensible people who choose practicality/reliability over drama of design.
You've said it yourself, "Italians can make paperclip sexy" Does sexy mean practical or burdensome? For most of us the answer will remain a mystery. But you already know the answer.
Now, choosing between FJR and C14 is not a matter pf practicality or reliability. Both bikes are stone reliable and very practical.
In you case, I am not being facetious, it is whichever bike looks sexier to you, as it was an important deciding factor which ADV bike to get.

I am certain you'll make decision that is right for you.

Cheers...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:53:00 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
A guy at my office rides a newer Ducati Monster with dual exhaust and damn that thing is good looking. You just want to stare at it and I do. What can I say sex sells but a man has to think with the right head or you get in trouble. The FJR is a great bike and the C14 is a great bike. You came to the C14 forum so you will get a C14 bias. BTW the C14 has a great butt even with the bags on.  :)
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 12:06:08 pm »
If I had a different wife or no wife,  I would buy a used Ducati ST3S.  But with 4 bikes already, if I did that, I would have to sleep with one eye open and that's difficult to do.

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 01:47:21 pm »
I used to own an FJR. It was a good bike. However, it needed new suspension, seriously, badly. The motor had good power, but was uninspiring. I began to see it as an appliance. I got onto a Concours 14. It fit me like a glove, I am 6'4", 210 lb. While the suspension can be improved, it is certainly adequate as is. I do like to leave a smoking trail on a twisty road. The motor is it. It is an inspiring motor, always wanting to go more, always frisky. It is like a giant 6oo super sport. While the specs between the two bikes are very similar, they have  different personalities. They also have slightly different ergos.

Offline TJ

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:05:09 pm »
I am looking at a new bike to replace my 2012 Ducati Multistrada.

What I LOVE about the Multi:
- Power: the 1200 has it, in abundance, and wherever you need it
- Handling: when you throw it into a corner, it goes exactly where you want it to go
- Ergos: I am 6' with a 32.5" inseam and I can ride the bike all day long
- Styling: let's face it, the Italians can make a paper clip sexy
- In the world of Sport-touring, it is firmly on the SPORT side, which is where want to be

However:
- Reliability: for a relatively new bike, it's not been reliable. I kind of expected minor problems too pop up. (but not larger ones like blown fork seals).
- Cost: this is NOT a cheap bike when it comes too upkeep
- Accessibility: it is also not easy to get my fat American sausage fingers in to do my own work; I don't do that a lot, but something simple like an oil change should be DIY, no?
- Chain maintenance: certainly at a point where I would prefer a shaft, but I recognize there is a weight trade off
- Wind protection: seriously, how can they not have this sorted. The buffeting and noise at 80+ mph is awful, in spite of numerous adjustments and screens.

I am curious, especially from those who have owned both a Connie and FJR:

I owned a 2015 FJR1300A. I bought it dirt cheap brand new. I think I paid $9800 plus tax.

Here is my FJR / C14 Assessment:

FJR Advantages

Nicer cockpit
Nicer fit and finish
Factory cruise control
Available Electronic Suspension
No silly fob
more range

FJR Disadvantages

C14 engine feels smoother & more engaging
C14 feels noticeably quicker
C14 Transmission is a tad smoother shifting
Better wind protection on the C14
Slightly better ergos for me.

Conclusion:

For me the value of picking the C14 over the FJR came down to the engine/transmission. Now to be fair, I have not ridden the newer 6 speed FJR, but engine wise my assessment would be the same. The C14 is more of a wolf in sheep's clothing than the FJR, especially when you get the ECU flashed. I just find it more entertaining to ride than the FJR. 

I'd sure love to take the product managers of these bikes out for a beer, because both of them miss the mark for me. I just found that the C14 short comings were more addressable than the FJR's.

I'm pretty happy with my C14 now. However, I would not rule out an FJR next time. Especially if Yamaha tweaks it some more. I would love to see them bump the power a bit. I'd also like to see them and Kawi just rubber mount the bars, etc like they do on the Versys 1000. Such an inexpensive thing to do, and why they don't do that for bikes that virtually live in the 4000-5000 rpm zone is a complete mystery to me.

Bottom line - I like the C14 better, and would not be tempted to go to an FJR unless they make some significant updates. I am much more tempted by the BMW new shift cam boxer RT/GS, but I want let any first year kinks to be sorted out. 

Offline Michael

• Big Wheels
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 08:23:06 pm »
I can't speak to the FJR but...I have owned a 2016 C14 which I bought new off the showroom floor about one year ago and have about 9k miles in the saddle.  I ride in Tucson so it's year round, even so winter mornings can be cold but the windshield, fairing, and heated grips are all great.  I have always enjoyed the styling of this bike and get lots of compliments and questions from people everywhere, often stopped at traffic lights.  In terms of performance, few bikes outside the 1000cc+ pure sport bike arena can compare.  You will never lack power or acceleration.  It's almost too fast, I have to slow myself down alot.  My inseam is 30' which is a tad short, 32.5" would be plenty I'm sure.  I have zero regrets but a few small cons.  Don't like the key fob, KTRC has failed me on a couple occasions and I worry it might do so at a bad time in the future when I need to accelerate out of trouble.  I find the handlebar placement uncomfortable on longer rides, I plan to address that.  Otherwise this is easily my new favorite bike, I ride every chance I get.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:55:35 am by Michael »

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 09:57:37 pm »
After selling my C-10 I looked at several C-14's and rode one several times.
For me the C-14 was top heavy (just like my C-10). I looked at a few FJR's and I ended up buying a super clean 2008 FJR. I like it because it is narrower and doesn't seem as top heavy. Since I have weined myself away from hot rodding and more towards just riding the FJR fits my needs well. And yes I am still a member of COG even though I don't own one. And if anyone asks I tell them Ted made me do it !!!
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Ronnie

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 12:57:03 pm »
I bought my Connie new and have had it 4 years and 40k+ miles.  It's my daily driver and the best bike I've owned thus far.  I've ridden multiple FJR's of different generations, and although nice they just didn't excite me.  The motor on the Connie sold me instantly, and with a flash it's even better.  It does everything I need very well and then some.  My nit picky cons would be....  It shifts well, but not as well as past Hondas I've owned.....and Cruise would be nice, but my throttle lock does just fine.  I bought mine as a new leftover that had been in the showroom for over a year and got a steal on it.  No regrets so far and would buy it again without a second thought.
Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 02:20:02 pm »
Use the "SERACH" box.  Plenty of info already discussed.
http://forum.cog-online.org/other-motorcycles/time-to-move-on/msg334837/#msg334837

Second! ::)

Probably the second most common question, other than what oil do you use.
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 12:20:59 am »
So - what oil DOyou use?  :nananana:

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 12:51:11 am »
There's more than ONE oil?!?!    :-\ :-\ :-\       :D :D :D
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:31 am »
I've owned both. Obviously both great bikes. Key difference for me, being 6'2", is that the FJR definitely fits small. I needed peg lowers and bar risers and it still felt tight. My Connie fits me great stock. Other than cruise control, no other meaningful difference. I like to say that the FJR sounds like a sewing machine, smooth and high pitched. The Connie sounds like an angry dog, ready to bite.

Get whatever fits, can't go wrong.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 20,000 and counting

Offline Roger Dodger

• Moped
  • COG#: 6017
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 02:15:17 pm »
+1 on what Salish said...    The FJR looks smaller, feels smaller, and technically is smaller. 

The C14 looks larger, feels larger, and technically is larger in size and displacement and HP and top speed and bag size and tire size and ...

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 03:40:26 pm »
...and more FUN :great:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline FishrCutB8

• Big Wheels
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 05:03:42 pm »
Bang for the buck....there is nothing like the C14. Buying a brand new leftover model  ($10 to 12 grand)or a slightly used one ($5 to 8 grand) there are amazing deals to be had. Tons of aftermarket support, outstanding reliability, and a great motor and power train make this bike a great pick. Electronic suspension would be nice, cruise would be nice for sure, but I set my suspension up once the way I like it, put a throttlemeister on it, and with my ECU flashed there is no comparison. Amazing warranties available too!

This is a really good point. I was really surprised to see how inexpensive the extended warranties were on the Concours. In some cases it was half or even less than other models.

Offline FishrCutB8

• Big Wheels
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »
If I had a different wife or no wife,  I would buy a used Ducati ST3S.  But with 4 bikes already, if I did that, I would have to sleep with one eye open and that's difficult to do.

And, I have READ that they are VERY reliable...but after the Multi experience, I just feel like I can't trust the brand's reliability.

Offline DarenLine

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 05:17:33 am »
Owned a 2013 c14, test road my friends fjr (believe 2012)
Why Connie?
1-sportiest in the group. (Both engine and platform, Leans more, quicker...)
2-best look (personal)
3-better prices available (when i was in the market)

Regrets? Let’s call what I didn’t like:
1-a little bulkier and bigger than fjr for daily commuting and lane splitting.
2-never made peace with the linked braking ... actually hated it (believe 2016+ has resolved the issue)
3-ate tires (I’ll take the blame on this one)

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 03:19:05 pm »
Ahh, I had an Italian bike once. Thankfully I am now cured of that.
The FJR is a really good motorcycle. I have found the very latest model to be better than the C14 in a bunch of ways wrt chassis and suspension. The luggage space and speedwagon aspects are better on the Kawasaki. You'll find the C14 to be had for way less money.
The frame on the FJR is more conventional and should be easier to access the head for valves than the C14. The torsional rigidity of the FJR's chassis is quite a bit more than the C14, it holds its wheels in the same plane better than the C14. If you like to corner, the C14 handles less like a sportbike than the FJR. The FJR feels to me like a giant 90's vintage CBR 600, and is quite a bit lower to the ground. The C14 is extremely top heavy and is easy to fall over on where the Yamaha sits lower.
Definitely find a way to ride both, they are very different.

Offline Howiehere

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 03:31:59 pm »
When I was in the market for a sport touring model, I seriously considered the FJR1300. They're solid bikes, and the ones I tested put a smile on my face, but not as much as the C14 did. My biggest complaint to Yamaha was my shins hitting the fairing. I'm as tall as you are, and with the fairing RIGHT THERE next to my shin, any time I moved or adjusted, they hit. I didn't think a long highway ride would be comfortable with that happening. Highway pegs might address this, but in-town riding was obnoxious for this reason.

One thing I give FJRs props for: their windscreen automatically returns to the low position when shutting down the engine. I'd love it if our Connies did that.
“I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable; I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.” - Whitman

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 03:46:52 pm »
Something is wrong.
  My windshield "does" go to the lowest position after the engine is shut off...
    Not sure if all the different C-14 year models do this??
      Mine is a 2014..

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:03:59 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!