Author Topic: Concours C14 v. FJR 1300?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Concours C14 v. FJR 1300?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 04:08:57 pm »

....My biggest complaint to Yamaha was my shins hitting the fairing. I'm as tall as you are, and with the fairing RIGHT THERE next to my shin, any time I moved or adjusted, they hit. I didn't think a long highway ride would be comfortable with that happening. Highway pegs might address this, but in-town riding was obnoxious for this reason.

One thing I give FJRs props for: their windscreen automatically returns to the low position when shutting down the engine.....

I'm north of 6'3" and don't notice any knee clearance issues but everybody is built a little different. Also, the Gen3 FJR windscreen stays put when the ignition is shut off. The previous generations did automatically lower.
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline Howiehere

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 05:03:39 am »
Mine’s an ‘09. I wish it had that feature. Must be the later models that do it. I just don’t like leaving it up when I park and walk away, seems like it would be more stable in the down position if someone were to play with it. I know, probably never happen, but still...
2009 C14 ABS Candy Diamond Red
“I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable; I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.” - Whitman

Offline Roger Dodger

• Officer
  • Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6017
  • Membership Level: Industry Liaison
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 05:23:11 pm »
I wish it had that feature.

Go to the FJRforum.com  and search for the auto-retract to be disabled.  I know it can be done.

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 11:39:53 pm »
Something is wrong.
  My windshield "does" go to the lowest position after the engine is shut off...
    Not sure if all the different C-14 year models do this??

Ride safe, Ted

Mine does too, which I understand is normal MO (i.e., mode of operation).
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 01:03:09 pm »
Just to add further on my FJR / C14 experience.

The FJR is lighter and easier to manage at low speeds. The new 6-speed gearbox is by all accounts a big improvement as well, so it's probably a draw now in the transmission category. FJR felt stronger down low, the C14 pulls better up top.

My statement on the C14 having better wind protection should be clarified. The advantage to the C14 in this area is minimal and once I had an aftermarket screen on my FJR, I would say it is a toss up. The FJR windshield attachment and brackets are stronger and more robust than C14.

One glaring difference in ergonomics is the C14 has a real tendency to push the rider into the tank. My FJR did not do that.

I think if I were to replace my C14, I'd look at the new FJR1300ES pretty seriously. The problem is at $18K MSRP, it is getting really close to R1200RT money.

Looking forward to the next Gen FJR. It needs a touch more fairing, cornering TC/ABS, and a little bump in power.           

Offline wayne-o

• Bicycle
  • More Testarossa than Transformers
  • COG#: 12890
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 05:19:04 pm »
Lookswise it'sTestarosa vs Transformers.
The Urban Ballet with millimeters to spare

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 05:58:46 pm »
After selling my C-10 I looked at several C-14's and rode one several times.
For me the C-14 was top heavy (just like my C-10). I looked at a few FJR's and I ended up buying a super clean 2008 FJR. I like it because it is narrower and doesn't seem as top heavy. Since I have weined myself away from hot rodding and more towards just riding the FJR fits my needs well. And yes I am still a member of COG even though I don't own one. And if anyone asks I tell them Ted made me do it !!!
I followed Jim this summer and found an 08AE(electric shift version)There is something to be said for the updates
Still have the C10 Ill ride which ever is easier to get out of the garage during the week/has enough gas to get to work Ill switch up on the weekend
Like trying to pick your favorite kid
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13