Author Topic: Concours Key issue  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Concours Key issue
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 12:27:27 pm »
Just never got in the habit of using that key.
As for the FOB on the seat :-X :-[ ::) . What can I say S Happens  >:( .
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 12:27:46 am »
Just never got in the habit of using that key.
As for the FOB on the seat :-X :-[ ::) . What can I say S Happens  >:( .
Don't you worry Mike. I'll never tell  :-X  ;)  :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline Upstate Pete

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 03:10:47 am »
Yea, I've almost never taken that key out, and mine has always worked fine. I have also noticed that using that key in the tank or the bags, it would be pretty easy to bend. If you leave it outside, that key is the only thing that protects the electronic locking mechanism housed underneath from the weather. I know when I first got mine I was kind of freaked out about leaving that key in there. But without that FOB, these things don't go no where, without a truck with a crane. Just try to register one of these things without the FOB.
I don't leave my Yamaha TW 200 outside at night because it's so easy for two guys to lift the locked front tire off the ground and walk the bike down the street. I'd just love to see them try that with my Conni. So Funny. No one carries a Conni more than a few feet.

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10361
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 05:36:35 pm »
...however I am no more enlightened as to why some members swear to leaving the key untouched?

Yeah, me too.
What's up with not removing the key?
I think some folks may be a bit heavy handed. Using it as a lever for the gas cap etc. Just a slight tweak is all it takes. If your gentle like a new kitten it seems OK. To many reported bent key prob's for me to chance. I use the spare.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
Mark knows!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 06:02:20 pm »
...however I am no more enlightened as to why some members swear to leaving the key untouched?

Yeah, me too.
What's up with not removing the key?
I think some folks may be a bit heavy handed. Using it as a lever for the gas cap etc. Just a slight tweak is all it takes. If your gentle like a new kitten it seems OK. To many reported bent key prob's for me to chance. I use the spare.

:rotflmao:
Heavy handed.... that's being polite...  :rotflmao:
Its a pretty common fact that the gascap latch/lock does at times become a bit sticky... and coupled with hot temperatures, makes it necessary to press down the cap when turning the key/unlocking it....  but most folks twist the key too hard first off when it offers resistance, thinking that helps... when simply pressing down on the cap to reduce the friction on the latching bar and gasket seal which is spring loaded, makes turning the key without damage a logical solution... I lube the latch bar yearly, with a small schmeer of lithium grease, to prevent that.
Combine that with removing the stove knob with fumble fingers, and dropping it down into the fairing... and viola...
I never set my fob on the seat... it goes back in my coat pocket as soon as I pull out the small key to open my tank.. and when I close the cap, I still press down on it, and give the key a couple back and forth twists to keep the lock movement "excersized" before returning it to it holder...and back to pocket.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 07:25:51 pm »
I NEVER  :o  set the FOB on the seat either except for the time I did :-X  and rode off into the sun :-[ . Then rode all the way back :motonoises:  to find the f Fob :great:  still on the seat >:( .But hey, I didn't have to buy another one. :beerchug:
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 02:42:41 am »
My luck would not have made it that far..... >:(
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 03:15:01 am »
I NEVER  :o  set the FOB on the seat either except for the time I did :-X  and rode off into the sun :-[ . Then rode all the way back :motonoises:  to find the f Fob :great:  still on the seat >:( .But hey, I didn't have to buy another one. :beerchug:
Oh man we laughed.  ;) :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2018, 09:11:24 pm »
I found this whilst reading elsewhere. It's interesting. This might be handy, you never know!

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/help/msg476462/#msg476462

You can take a can of silicone spray lubricant, and insert the spray can straw at the 9 oclock position (next to the metal tab), and spray the switch with silicone lube. This should get some silicone down into the switch and reduce the tendancy for it to stick. Don't spray into the lock cylinder slot, but to the left of it, so the spray drips down into the switch (see previous photo posted above for reference of switch location)

The old joke around here was you need a special "K-Rock" and then use it to tap the ignition switch at the 9 oclock position to free up the switch, but the truth is any ole rock will do, you don't need to buy the special Kawasaki rock.

"One night, I was drinking at a bar and ended up taking a bus home. This may not be a big deal to you, but I've never driven a bus before"
Unknown

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 09:15:52 pm »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Must have been reading my attempts at linking a photo to the timing thread moments ago...
The thread link kept defaulting to the one you posted,  and I couldnt make it stop, so I ditched the link...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 01:41:04 am »
I am wondering if the OP ever got the key out. I am beginning to think perhaps he was stopped by the side of the road when he wrote the original post, was unable to get the key out, then, not being able to go anywhere, he died of dehydration and was unable to come back to post again.

I always use the key for the gas tank, and the bags as well. I do keep the locks in good shape though. They work as good as the day I bought the bike in 2010.