Author Topic: Concours Key issue  (Read 2308 times)

Offline VT 4Wheeler

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Concours Key issue
« on: March 29, 2018, 09:50:50 pm »
I have a 2013 Concours C14 ABS. For some odd reason the key will not remove in the FSS position. It worked fine last summer. Kind of a pain in the butt to get the spare key out to open the gas tank. Local dealer called the California office and their suggestion is to replace the whole ignition system. It is still under warranty though, but dealer wasn't sure if they send new locks for the gas tank, seat and saddle bags also.

Biker Grandpa  :truce: :D

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Concours Key issue
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:06:30 pm »
Well, it's best not to take that key out anyway.  Use the "spare" key in the KiPass FOB or get another one made for that purpose.  I suspect, however, that you just don't have it properly in the FSS position.  Does it come out in the LOCK position?  It should, perhaps there is an issue with your ignition lock but I don't think I'd have the dealer tear apart my bike for that.  But it's up to you...
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:29:10 pm »
Bummer... if you have warranty, id place this burden upon the shoulders of Kaw, to fix it... completely... selling a bike used, that does not function as sold, is a bummer... so...use the warranty please..

As for key removal, the only position it can be removed from the lock, is in the FSS position.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »
As for key removal, the only position it can be removed from the lock, is in the FSS position.

Yes, you're right!  It's been a long day and, unfortunately, it's been far too long since I rode my C14.  Hoping the weather will clear up one of these days soon!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 10:52:40 pm »

Yes, you're right!  It's been a long day and, unfortunately, it's been far too long since I rode my C14.  Hoping the weather will clear up one of these days soon!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great: :beerchug:

I understand
Fact is, I removed my key ONCE, when new, to see the functions... since that point, it has lived happily in its slot...
I also never used the "lock" position since that first time... if I'm worried about it being rolled away, I string my heavy cable lock thru the rear wheel and over the seat, and install my front disc lock with tether as a reminder, and cover it all with my cover..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:53:41 am »
I remove my stove knob every time I get gas, or remove the seat ... I like living on the edge.   :motonoises:
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 11:23:05 am »
Yeah I have been removing the "ignition key" every time I got gas. Nothing wrong with it. As far as it not coming out yeah the dealer should fix it under warranty and that means getting the bike back as it was when it left the showroom floor. If they have to replace all the locks to match one they have to do it.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14 Traded In
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 12:13:50 pm »
I remove my stove knob every time I get gas, or remove the seat ... I like living on the edge.   :motonoises:
+1
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:01:40 pm »
Coggers,

For what its worth, check to see if there is any bend or bow in the key.  Mine did the same thing and I finally noticed that there was a slight bow in the key and once I straightened on my vise, all was well again.

Cheers!

gilbysan
gilbysan

β€œIn theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 08:40:21 pm »

I too remove the key for fuel 70k plus miles of fuel, I would want my ignition working properly in all positions.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 03:43:35 am »
I remove mine ever time I get gas as well, after all FSS stands for fuel seat stowage right??? So FSS was intended just for that purpose. My K-Pass lives deep in my gear when I ride the thought of loosing it terrifies me, besides I am lazy and rarely get off the bike to fuel making it more difficult to access my K-PASS :nananana:
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 10:56:56 pm »
Coggers,

For what its worth, check to see if there is any bend or bow in the key.  Mine did the same thing and I finally noticed that there was a slight bow in the key and once I straightened on my vise, all was well again.

Cheers!

gilbysan

He would have to remove the key to do that, and if he could do that, he probably wouldn't have a problem.  :great:

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 11:08:42 pm »
I have a 2013 Concours C14 ABS. For some odd reason the key will not remove in the FSS position. It worked fine last summer. Kind of a pain in the butt to get the spare key out to open the gas tank. Local dealer called the California office and their suggestion is to replace the whole ignition system. It is still under warranty though, but dealer wasn't sure if they send new locks for the gas tank, seat and saddle bags also.

Biker Grandpa  :truce: :D

I would try to wiggle the key as I was trying to remove it. Don't wiggle it side to side, or you could break it, but in line with the blade, using the knob as a guide.  Wiggle it and push down slightly then pull alternately and it might free up a pin that might be sticking.  If you get it out, treat the lock with some graphite based lock lubricant. I have been using it on my 2009 and all my locks work very nicely.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:11:59 pm by Phil »

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 11:59:59 pm »
Every so often, I squirt a little silicone spray on the key
Once or twice, I've stuck the silicone spray needle right into the switch
Nothing happened except it kept working, as designed

YEP!
"One night, I was drinking at a bar and ended up taking a bus home. This may not be a big deal to you, but I've never driven a bus before"
Unknown

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 10:38:39 pm »
Paranoia set in....I removed my key today after about a year ago when I put some Tri-Flow lube on it and it still had a coating of lube left on it. I put another squirt of Tri-Flow on it for good measure and I'm good to go. A locksmith told me about this stuff and I've put it in locks that were so frozen up with corrosion I couldn't get a key in them....squirt some in and wait a few minutes and the key slips in like its going into butter. Amazing stuff. Thanks for the reminder!!
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 12:04:15 am »
Paranoia set in....I removed my key today after about a year ago when I put some Tri-Flow lube on it and it still had a coating of lube left on it. I put another squirt of Tri-Flow on it for good measure and I'm good to go. A locksmith told me about this stuff and I've put it in locks that were so frozen up with corrosion I couldn't get a key in them....squirt some in and wait a few minutes and the key slips in like its going into butter. Amazing stuff. Thanks for the reminder!!

I assume you are talking about their dry lube. I wouldn't use their other lube since it attracts dirt. I have maintained mine with regular lock lubricant, graphite basically. The key, pun intended, is to stay on top of it, once the lock gets bad, it is harder to keep it working properly.

Tri-flow is great stuff, I use their chain lube on my bicycle, bus stick to their dry lube for locks.

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 01:30:12 am »
I too use the stove pipe key to refuel and remove my saddle bags as it is really convenient. 60k miles on my bike with zero issues. After reading posts here I have a spare stove pipe key cut to match, however I am no more enlightened as to why some members swear to leaving the key untouched?
CDA #0542

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:33:48 am »
Yeah I always  remove key for gas , EVERYTHING has to be lubricated  once is a while , just the other day I could not get the saddle bag to latch , dam piece of junk !x^*@  little spray , better than new  ;)
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 11:54:32 am »

I also remove my key for pretty much everything. Been doing so for 198,000 miles. Never understood the fear of it, it is made to come out afterall.

Cliff   :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 02:22:46 pm »
I'm just the opposite. I remove my key once or twice a year for lubricating. Use a spare key for everything else. No problems yet with my 09.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 05:26:01 pm »
Is dry lube a good lube to use in the keys? How do you apply it? onto the key, or inside the key slot?

Thanks!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 05:34:55 pm »
Dry graphite can be pretty messy. I use a spray lube made for locks that is "Dry" after the carrier evaporates. Most auto parts stores will have something similar. It only needs a VERY small amount. As long as some of the lub reaches the tumblers and springs you should be ok. Things like 3 in 1 oil will collect dust and dirt making the lock gummy and sticky.
  I spray the lub directly into the lock then work the key in and out several times.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 12:24:19 am »
I'm just the opposite. I remove my key once or twice a year for lubricating. Use a spare key for everything else. No problems yet with my 09.
Except that damn leaving the FOB on the seat as I ride away thang  :beerchug: :) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) When I bought my bike the Head Tech told me never ever remove this key. I haven't except for the lube cycle and I use dry graphite powder. I keep my active fob on a lanyard in my chest pocket for easy peasy access. Inactive fob is in the tank bag for back up. Bless ya'll that haven't had a problem. Your probably careful. Me, I already tempt the Gods enough with other things I do. Not chancing this one. FWIW.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 12:57:34 am »
...however I am no more enlightened as to why some members swear to leaving the key untouched?

Yeah, me too.
What's up with not removing the key?
"One night, I was drinking at a bar and ended up taking a bus home. This may not be a big deal to you, but I've never driven a bus before"
Unknown

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 01:11:08 am »
...however I am no more enlightened as to why some members swear to leaving the key untouched?

Yeah, me too.
What's up with not removing the key?
I think some folks may be a bit heavy handed. Using it as a lever for the gas cap etc. Just a slight tweak is all it takes. If your gentle like a new kitten it seems OK. To many reported bent key prob's for me to chance. I use the spare.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.