Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 517 times)

Offline X_Romad

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12778
  • Membership Level: Active
Coolant leak
« on: March 29, 2018, 03:14:16 am »
Hello all,
New member here with a question about a coolant leak on my recently purchased 2009 C14.  I’ve had the bike for about two weeks but I’ve hardly had time to ride between work and the weather. I did manage to put a couple hundred miles on.  This evening I finally had time to tinker around in the garage and noticed the coolant was low (below the L line by about an inch). I filled to the top line and reassembled the plastic like a dummy (should have looked for leaks while it was apart) I haven’t had a single drop of fluid on the garage floor so I started poking around with a flashlight. These are the best pics I could get with the fairings on.  I can’t tell if it’s from the hose or the part the hose is attached to.  Can someone tell me the name of the part? Is it the thermostat housing?  I believe it is #92005 but it seems to have multiple names from my searches..Thermo Case, Thermo Cap And Cylinder Pipe Hose fitting.
I’m going to pull the fairings when I get time and clean it up and tighten the clamps. I started the bike and let it idle for 10 minutes and it wasn’t leaking.

First pic is from under the bike and second from the top.

Offline X_Romad

• Tricycle
Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:15:36 am »
Sorry first pic didn’t load. So first is from top ...
I will add this is on the left side just below the far left header pipe

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:57:16 pm »
That's the thermostat housing.  Leaks there are uncommon but, obviously, yours is.  I'd check that the hose is not damaged and the clamp is secure.  Check also that the bolts holding it together are tight.  Beyond that, there are some gaskets that might have failed.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline X_Romad

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:48:20 pm »
Ok.  Thank you. Gave the bike a nice bath today since the weather was nice.  More rewarding than pulling fairings to find the leak :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:13:25 pm »
That's the thermostat housing.  Leaks there are uncommon but, obviously, yours is.  I'd check that the hose is not damaged and the clamp is secure.  Check also that the bolts holding it together are tight.  Beyond that, there are some gaskets that might have failed.

That's not the thermostat housing, the stat housing is on the back side of the block, hidden under the intake boots from airbox...in front of the battery cave...

DONT overtighten those bolts in attempt to make it seal...
That leaker is on the front, its a housing that is where coolant is divided to the oil cooler via a hose, and into the base of the cylinders, with cooled fluid from the water pump..
Drain system, flush, remove and replace the housing with a new gasket, and reattach coolant hoses... refill the system and insure it does not leak again, prior to installing the front and lower plastics...

Make sure to scrub the mating surfaces of that fitting, its internal groove, and the cylinder face clean and free of corrosion before replacing the seal, its actually a rectangular o ring, kaw p/n 92055-1402... you can install it dry, or wipe a small.amount of wheel grease on it if you desire... nothing special, and no additional sealants required.
Also check that housing closely for defects or cracks, if it was overtightened for some reason, it may have cracked... or not...
That fitting is kaw p/n 92005-0104

Don't hog on those bolts, the torque is only 85 inch/pounds..
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:41:40 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 10:02:06 pm »
That's not the thermostat housing, the stat housing is on the back side of the block, hidden under the intake boots from airbox...in front of the battery cave...

My bad!  It's this part in the attachment.  But the problem is the same, either the hose has failed, the hose clamp is loose or failing, the bolts holding it in place are loose, or the gasket is failed.  Sorry to have provided the wrong details.

2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:13:50 pm »

My bad!  It's this part in the attachment.  But the problem is the same, either the hose has failed, the hose clamp is loose or failing, the bolts holding it in place are loose, or the gasket is failed.  Sorry to have provided the wrong details.

Or.... the housing is cracked because someone overtightened it in an attempt to make it seal...

Let's all hope it was just loose bolts, and a cleanup, new seal, and reinstall fixes it. :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...