Author Topic: Coolant level is super low please help  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Coolant level is super low please help
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 05:11:56 pm »
Guys -

With all due respect.....are you sure you're giving correct advice?

My knowledge of coolants has waned over the years, but as I recall, not all coolants are created equally, particularly those used in motorcycle applications vs. cars.

Unless formulas have changed dramatically in the last 5-10 years, what we should all be using is a version that is specific to be low borate /low silicate to save wear and tear on the seals in the water pump.  Also, this formula should be compatible with smaller engine components that utilize more aluminum in the block and cooling channels/radiator.

Maybe I misread the previous posts, but if you are going with an off brand that is motorcycle specific, you should be fine. (maxima / Motul)
However, I would strongly discourage you from walking into the local autoparts store and grabbing a jug "green whatever" to top off your mostly full cooling system.

Since you are likely to have kawi green in there already (don''t remember the miles on your bike) I would still suggest adding the same kind of coolant, if possible.

Not trying to be the foremost authority here, and not trying to be antagonistic - but i'd caution you to choose your coolant more carefully.

With that said, I will be happy to be wrong....as long as we establish an agreed upon baseline for what coolant is acceptable for use in our bikes.

gr
Since Aluma-cool (Kawasaki coolant "brand") is unavailable even at the Kawasaki dealership, I was going to use the Suzuki brand they have in stock, which is also Green and for motorcycles, assume probably fairly compatible with aluminum engines.
Yes, i most likely have kawi green in there.

JWH20, thanks for helping us clear the air on this topic!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 06:38:18 pm »
GR: Good question.  I think the green is ok, but I am open to correction.
      I've been using it for 30+ years in my water cooled bikes.

Thinking about it; I actually wonder why the red is not supposed to be used.
       It's considered permanent antifreeze, it is formulated for the new engines, and many/most of them have aluminum heads..

Ride safe, Ted

UPDATE: There are 6 different formulations, coded by color.... red, orange, yellow, pink, blue, and green... all differ, some are inter compatible, but all have different uses....
https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/

After reading; The green std coolant "available at all auto stores" still seems fine to me..??
                      But the; Green / OET ASIAN VEHICLES EXTENDED LIFE  coolant may be a more ideal option??

Gloom: Why is everything so complicated?   :??:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:34:30 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 08:12:20 pm »
After reading; The green std coolant "available at all auto stores" still seems fine to me..??
                      But the; Green / OET ASIAN VEHICLES EXTENDED LIFE  coolant may be a more ideal option??

Gloom: Why is everything so complicated?   :??:

This is just the Coolant form of the age-old "Rotella T6 15w-40 Synthetic versus the universe" thread

It's interesting how many, brand/non-brand name, coolant suppliers meet or exceed OEM ASTM standards.

Applied, Actual Experience is the strength of the COG forum.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 08:51:23 pm »
Years ago we were told that the silicates in Prestone would harm the seals in the motorcycle water pump.   I don't believe there is anything in Prestone that is abrasive now and I don't know if there was.  I use Prestone Long Life in all my motorcycles, I think anything motorcycle specific would probably be a waste of $s. 

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
  • Membership Level: Active
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 02:19:44 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QIX495A/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ILHIUNEM2AGJK&colid=33HGRCOG2E79Y&psc=0
Thanks man... yeah, that's the one i wanted to buy! Unfortunately, that vendor doesn't ship to this far away land I live in (Canada)  :))
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 05:02:20 pm »
go get some Honda type 2 coolant.. don't use regular green it is not good for aluminum

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 05:15:20 pm »
go get some Honda type 2 coolant.. don't use regular green it is not good for aluminum
+1.  That is what I used based on some good advice from this forum.  It's a darker bluish color that shows up better in the overflow bottle so it's easier to see the level. 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »
+1.  That is what I used based on some good advice from this forum.  It's a darker bluish color that shows up better in the overflow bottle so it's easier to see the level.
Now I'm confused... Mama Kawi coolant is the recommended one and is green. Found a nice green one for Polaris (I believe they also have aluminum blocks), so I went with that one. I rejected the blue because i didn't want to mix it with the green one already in there... are the blue and green mixable?
Best,

JD