Author Topic: Coolant Recommendations  (Read 362 times)

Offline Shizzle

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Coolant Recommendations
« on: August 18, 2019, 07:31:18 pm »
Man, had no idea there were so many coolant types, OAT, HOAT, and everything in between. I'm sure my new to me 2011 Concours has never had the coolant changed since I just did the brake and clutch fluid and it was a nasty brown color. So not to start an oil thread but is there an Auto Parts coolant I could use that meets the specs or should I just drive to the dealer and get the Kawasaki stuff? Not interested in fancy stuff just a good coolant that can mix with what's left in there. Not planning on doing a flush just a drain and fill.

Thanks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Coolant Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:04:05 pm »
if you are gonna drain and refill, just do a flush of water, repeated pourings of tap water at least... drain it while doing so.
Then close off the drain, and fill using 50/50 Green Prestone.. it will be fine. all the odd combos of various colors and formulations, really don't make a lot of difference.. just flush them out.. and fill.. I won't use "odd colored" mixtures, simply because they "color it"...

GM hosed millions of customers with their specific "Dex-Cool" antifreeze, which was "designed for aluminum block engines"... but the end result was catastrophic failure of cooling components, and systems...and not only those parts, but Heater cores, that provided interior heat to the car/truck... that turns into big $$$$ when blockages migrate;  because people didn't "regularly pay to have the fluid changed"..

every vehicle I own, that takes "coolant/Antifreeze" (I live where coolant has to be able to stand -30F temps...) is filled with normal Prestone 50/50... no muss, no fuss, drain fill drive, repeat.

to add: all my GM trucks, that I drained, powerflushed, and filled with Prestone 50/50, over the last 20 years... are very happy now.. as all the parts i had to replace, like waterpumps, thermo's. heater cores,intake manifold gaskets,  hoses with internal metal "springs",  etc., have never been an issue since... and my coolant never changes "color" now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:58:15 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:17:59 pm »
50/50 Green Prestone is what I have in mine. No problems noted although I did get a wild hair and put in a bottle of water wetter with an equal amount of straight Prestone. I have no idea if there was, is or has been any cooling improvement. Seems to run about the same bars on the temp gauge. Thankfully the Water Wetter was on sale at the time.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:35:51 pm »
Plain old 50/50 mix is fine. Some if switched to Engine Ice and have been quite happy. I plan on it, eventually. 😂

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:07:55 pm »
50/50 Green Prestone is what I have in mine. No problems noted although I did get a wild hair and put in a bottle of water wetter with an equal amount of straight Prestone. I have no idea if there was, is or has been any cooling improvement. Seems to run about the same bars on the temp gauge. Thankfully the Water Wetter was on sale at the time.

Water Wetter or the engine ice products are less effective as the percentage of coolant rises. Search "coolant cocktail" for a more comprehensive explanation. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:56:19 pm »
Living in "north central", and having my bike sitting in garage, during -30F temps.. I can not tell people to drop the limits on "freeze" temps.. If I lived south, like I used to, i would, but up here.. i don't.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 01:55:35 am »

Water Wetter or the engine ice products are less effective as the percentage of coolant rises. Search "coolant cocktail" for a more comprehensive explanation. Steve
Beat me to it. Water is the most efficient cooling medium, only use as much antifreeze as necessary to keep it from freezing. Even 50/50 is overkill.
I like sheds and ninjas.