Author Topic: Copperdawg windscreen.  (Read 291 times)

Offline Alamen

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Copperdawg windscreen.
« on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:37 pm »
After much deliberation I ordered in the Copperdawg (CD) windscreen.  I live in Kelowna, BC, Canada. Temps get anywhere from 90-100+ here and dry ...... very damn dry.... Here is my take on the windscreen for any that care. I will try to keep this short (semi?) and to the point.

I rode Super bikes and Super naked's for years and I am partial to that look. I bought the Connie because I am getting older and it offered huge advantages over other bikes in regards to performance and comfort. I can 2 up ride or hold my own in sport comfort. I wear moulded ear plugs and if you don't have a set, get them. They reduce mental fatigue from wind and ambient noise and add to your awareness and relaxation by removing negative effects associated with constant droning. If you don't think that effects you because your immune, your not. Get a set. I ride lots. Like 30,000 KM a year lots. Everything matters when it comes to brain fatigue and limiting your awareness. Sorry that was my only lecture I promise LOL.

OK With that said I felt the stock windscreen in the low position still blocked to much air. I didn't feel anything on the market was going to give better air flow or limit turbulence. Patrick from Copperdawg was a man of his word. He said 3 weeks till shipment and it was almost to the day exact when it shipped.

After very simple (as pie) installation I was set and GTG. My initial thoughts were that air over the screen was very, very smooth. This surprised me how effective it is at smoothing air flow. It's fairly quiet as well. Seriously. In lower speeds of up to 40MPH, the screen all the way down is NP at all. As speeds increase just raise the screen and you will have NP opening the bike throttle all the way without tucking your head much. I am 5'10 by the way.

OK now I am cooler with added air flow and impressed by air quality. Before I continue, I just want to say we have some incredible single lane back roads to ride where I am. People come from all over the States and other countries come to cruise them. They are twisty as heck. So now you get the idea of the riding I do.

The hidden bonuses. I immediately noticed that the CD screen greatly and I mean greatly reduced the down pressure over the front forks. That POS stock screen was adding huge down pressure even at low speeds. I was shocked by how much. To tell the truth, I was surprised. When your cornering with the stock screen the added drag and pressure has a very negative effect when your holding line. (I run my forks firm BTW which helps holding the front up to counter sudden fork drop) When your counter steering and dropping in a corner, I found the stock screen forced me to adjust more often than not to set my line and to hold it. The added wind push could add to counter steer and move the bike in or out of line. This forced me to make sure I was slower coming into corners in order to make sure my line was set. Now with the CD screen I can drop in a tight corner and man handle that 660 LBS bike NP and know I will not have to back off the throttle to keep my line thru the apex. This in itself is worth getting the screen for. At slower speeds the bike handles well and is improved in slow speed stability. Again seriously. Wind gusts are negated when crawling in traffic at parking lots speeds. Even a light wind pushes the stock screen like a sail. I can crawl slower than most can walk and not bother removing my feet from the pegs. Bike holds it's line.

Removing the stock screen has reduced the sudden engine breaking effect it has when slowing down. Again this was not a positive with the stock screen. Smooth flow and consistency when approaching corners at speed are. Not everyday is perfect. Add wind to the already heavy push on the screen and it's noticeable when it's removed from the equation. We had a few fairly windy days up here and I was impressed how well the bike stayed planted on the road when facing head on or from a front side wind blast. Movement was nominal. Again a plus.

Any monkey with a pack of smokes can ride a bike fast in straight line. It takes skill and control to make it corner well under extreme conditions. I practise every single day. If I take a corner and I don't like how it felt I go back and do it again. Makes my buddies laugh. I never consider myself to be too good to practise and make it safer on the road for myself. Always critique what you do. If you ride harder on your Connie or it's just damn hot where you are this screen is a must. Fit and finish is top notch. Very well done.

PS on a side note I also use a 55 profile PR4. This bikes geometry screams for the extra help when dropping into a corner. I swear the bike was made for the 55 profile. Not sure why the heck they aren't on them from factory. Again it's all about stability and control. Ride safe.
Nothing is worth doing unless you're over doing it!!!

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Copperdawg windscreen.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:36:17 am »
Nice write up, thanks. As for speed I've been told that in BC if your going 25 mph over the limit it's impound time. Is this true? If so I'm staying south of the border. Upgraded suspension makes a major difference in the twisties. I've been using the Dunlop Q3's and now the Q3+ for more than 35k miles. Also in the 190-55 size. If you ever get to the Sacramento area look online at Meetup.com for the "Sierra Masters Cartel". We run at a very sporting pace in the foothills on Mondays and Wednesdays.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline 3dragonsnake

• 1COBRA
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:17:52 am »
Yes you will get the vehicle impounded for going over the limit. I go to the track to get my kicks instead.
P
2016 Concours 14

Offline Cheesit414

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12140
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:04:09 pm »
I'd be interested to know how this screen performs at highway speeds and if you feel it would be suitable for longer touring trips. Thanks for the write-up.
AMA#395694
COG#12140

Offline Alamen

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:40:23 pm »
40 over gets bike taken away. The roads here allow you to have fun without going over speed limits as most corners are fairly sharp. So if you maintain speed going into the corner you get your kicks without setting land speed records. The guys I ride with have rules. One of them is "if you cannot stay in your lane and be in full control when cornering, your going to fast for your skills or just to damn fast period". We ride to maintain speed and hold a steady pace. With corners on some roads coming every 5-10 seconds it isn't hard to have fun. LOL.

For summer riding I don't think I would be troubled at all to use this screen on a long trip. The one thing is, it isn't as wide as stock. So you get some wind on your shoulders. I raced dirt bikes for years. Honestly, wind doesn't bother me all that much. Some are more sensitive to it. The CD screen does stop your helmet from buffeting though, as it is more even wind flow. I use a Shoei RF1100 Diabolical. Decent helmet for sure, so better than a lot for keeping wind noise down. I would think that helps more than others helms.

I love riding bikes. Just love it. I am after the visceral ride. Cornering, braking, having the bike operate smooth and under control with grace. That's what I am into. I practise while I ride daily. When I talk about dropping into corners with speed, that does not mean I am speeding. It just means I didn't slow down a bunch to corner. If in doubt "slow in fast out" to be safe. I am looking for the best control. Tires, windscreen, gear, suspension; it all matters to me to make the bike better than stock. It performs better and makes me safer. I can absolutely smash the brakes or lean that thing to the pegs if needed to get out of harms way and I know it will do what I ask. Most people riding this type of machine are good riders. It's funny though when you talk to "experienced riders" about corning and reading an apex point to see if that blind corner your approaching is holding its line, breaking out, or turning in for a tighter corner; they have no idea what I am talking about. Lots of videos online from the real pro's that can teach if you do not know. I recommend learning that trick because it makes cornering a breeze. These are just my points of view to make the bike better but it's really just my opinion. Be safe all .
Nothing is worth doing unless you're over doing it!!!