Author Topic: Need jump start help  (Read 1715 times)

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Need jump start help
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 11:00:56 am »
I pictured you standing in the parking lot holding your phone asking for immediate help.  So I jumped on line and grabbed a photo of the first C-14 battery to show you how it was supposed to be installed.  As MOB pointed out, it was his battery and believe he owns a 2008.  Here is another photo that "May" be closer to your bike.  You likely have the right parts, but the dealer definitely did you no favors by installing your battery backwards. 

Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline parttimer`

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »
That is what mine looked like!  The holes in the tray and all.  Your picture did help, I still don't think i have it all the way in correctly and will take the time to get it fixed but I was at work and wanted to get the dang thing home!  I also noticed mine is prewired with a battery tender dongle. 

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 01:25:11 pm »
Yeah,
Dealers will install the Battery Tender lead. Mine did it too.   It makes for an easy sale of a battery tender for them.   :)
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 11:21:57 am »
The post of the cables connected were when i tried to start it.  I did pull the battery to charge it prior to putting it back in.  I saw 14v during my ride in this morning.  I plan on calling the dealer to let them know it looks like some pieces parts MAY be missing.  My battery try looks different that yours, the tray has holes at the bottom that the batter cover has pins that slide into to hold the tray in place, i wonder if that was a model year change since yours has a bracket taht holds it in place.  I also wondered about the rubber strap holding the battery down, I don't have that either.
In my 2012, that strap is actually plastic, but I do have it. I believe it falls into the long sides of the battery, hence it would be invisible from the "installed" angle.
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Moped
  • COG#: 9924
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 11:58:45 am »
This is what your battery should look like when installed properly.  The Red booted terminal gets the Positive lead.  Not sure what issues you will have going forward with that reverse polarity.   ::)

To the O/P....

The picture 4bikes showed is what it should look like, not like the picture you posted of your "corrected battery position"..
I should know... the picture is MY bikes battery, and the additional red wire and black, are wires I INSTALLED when I installed my remotely mounted fuse panel for extra circuits......(all cool tho, was wondering how that picture popped up, photobucket issue...)  wanted to clarify those extra power leads to reduce confusion..
As for your battery, I have no clue about what that "wadded up bundle" of black wire is sitting on top of your battery.. it shouldn't be there.. also, note, you need to rotate that positive cable outwards, and make it look like my battery... another issue is you don't have the protective plastic shield, that was to be installed when that battery was shoved in there...or for that matter the sheetmetal retaining bracket that spans the bottom to hold it in place also... your bike was asssmbled by a bumbling idiot at the delaership, and needs to be installed correctly, with the barrier in place, the ground and positive cables corrected, and the rubber strap holding the battery and barrier in place...and the bottom retaining bracket.. bolted in... you are missing parts dude.....

Not sure WHY you are attempting to charge the battery installed either, as you pulled it out to switch it... should have charged it out of the bike at that time, so you could correctly connect those charger cables directly to the battery terminals... I say this because you choice on the ground connection for the charger leaves much to be desired... its attached to a bolthead, that contacts and holds 2 painted parts together.. a poor ground at the least...

Get the dealer involved, go to the owner of the dealership....
When you attempted to jump the bike and also during your attempts of chargeing it initially, with the positive charger lead clipped on the negative terminal, you effectively reduced that battries life expectancy by 75%.... even tho you think it "may" take a charge now, internal degfadation of the plates, and electrolyte have already taken place....

Sad to see on a 2017 with 100 miles on it....

In looking further at your photo, the last one, what is that white spooge behind and below the battery? I also noticed a "wet spot" at the top rear of the battery in your first pic.... I think that battery is hosed,  primarily from the initial 45 minutes of being connected to another battery, and then attempting to jump it, and then attempting to charge it all with reversed power... prior to correcting it..
Luckily for you, somewhat, that the battery must have been fully discharged prior, as doing those things with a half charge on the battery would have resulted in an explosion for certain, actually, when you corrected the position, and the leads, and further attached the charger, there was an even greater chance.
The chemical reations that took place inside there were seriously dangerous...
the black wire wad on top of the battery is the battery tender harness..
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
I used to shut off the engine with the kill switch and then turn the ignition key off until I did what the OP did and forgot to turn the ignition switch off. LESSON LEARNED. Now I always use the ignition switch.  :great:
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 01:29:31 pm »
It's only a matter of time before I get burned by turning on the ignition to put something in the Gen 2 power locked glove box.  I was at a COG ride on Sunday, and someone said "hey your lights are on"   :-[  :-[  :-[  I am covered if it does happen since my EarthX battery powers off when getting discharged, and I have a jump pack.  Still I want to avoid that.   :truce:

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 03:06:58 pm »
It's only a matter of time before I get burned by turning on the ignition to put something in the Gen 2 power locked glove box.  I was at a COG ride on Sunday, and someone said "hey your lights are on"   :-[  :-[  :-[  I am covered if it does happen since my EarthX battery powers off when getting discharged, and I have a jump pack.  Still I want to avoid that.   :truce:

When I lost my FOB (never carried a spare ever!!!, I do now) To get at my wallet in the locked glove box, I grabbed the top and pulled it towards me while I was off the bike and it popped open with no damage. its not secure. I keep nothing of value in it.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 09:58:24 am »
Wow! It blows my mind that dealers are STILL installing the batteries backwards (although hooked up correctly) in these bikes!!! I found that my '08 was that way when I inspected the battery after getting it home after buying it new. I called the dealer and told them what they had done and the manager told me that it was impossible because the bike would not run. I told him that it was hooked up correctly just installed backwards. He told me to bring the bike back and they would correct it. No thanks, I fixed it myself.

And we're supposed to trust these dealers in carrying out a complicated repair?      >:(
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 07:24:53 pm »
Wow! It blows my mind that dealers are STILL installing the batteries backwards (although hooked up correctly) in these bikes!!! I found that my '08 was that way when I inspected the battery after getting it home after buying it new. I called the dealer and told them what they had done and the manager told me that it was impossible because the bike would not run. I told him that it was hooked up correctly just installed backwards. He told me to bring the bike back and they would correct it. No thanks, I fixed it myself.

And we're supposed to trust these dealers in carrying out a complicated repair?      >:(

Wise chce to fix it at home...  how many of the battery cover screws where crossthreaded by the dealership when they installed the battery initially????
Just curious.... mine had 3 crosthreaded... and I had to re tap them all, and had to buy all new bolts... I bout cad plated steel bolts from Lowes, for pennies, and they had better hex sockets.. ended up having to re tap the hole for the plastic cover out to 1/4-20 sae, because it was buggered so badly...
Luckily I found this all.and fixed it 4 days after buying the bike when I wanted to add some leads to my battery...  and found both battery cables finger tight on the posts...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 10:02:29 pm »
Gotta love those professionals at the stealer's. Always have and always will do my own work. :great:
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver