Author Topic: Corbin seat concours 15 2015  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Pete

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Corbin seat concours 15 2015
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:45:35 pm »
Thinking of getting a new seat,looking at Corbin online and see they have two styles for the concours.
They have a duel sport seat and then the two piece seat that is also compatible with their smuggler luggage.
I'm not sure what model would best suit my needs.i like the smooth clean lines of the duel sport but the two piece looks like it would provide better comfort.

Anyone out there with some miles on one?

I don't think I'd get the smuggler option as it adds 1k to the cost.but then again I usually ride solo and don't run the bags so a little extra storage could be handy.

So let's hear your input

Thanks
Pete

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
Re: Corbin seat concours 15 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:41:14 pm »
Thinking of getting a new seat,looking at Corbin online and see they have two styles for the concours.
They have a duel sport seat and then the two piece seat that is also compatible with their smuggler luggage.
I'm not sure what model would best suit my needs.i like the smooth clean lines of the duel sport but the two piece looks like it would provide better comfort.

Anyone out there with some miles on one?

I don't think I'd get the smuggler option as it adds 1k to the cost.but then again I usually ride solo and don't run the bags so a little extra storage could be handy.

So let's hear your input

Thanks
Pete
I'd recommend searching within the forup, you will find a ton of info about this. This tooic was a question a lot of us had, including myself. I was about to buy one, but a lot of reviews from users here saying it's like sitting on a cynder block made me not want one anymore.:. Up to u!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Pete

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:20:56 am »
I did a search and most of the posts were pretty old and it seemed 50/50 on the foam,I'm a big guy 6-1,290 lb so firm foam might not be a bad thing.
I'm not looking for a lower seat but the stocker is killing me after 50 miles. After another couple hours of searching tonight I think I'm leaning to the two piece with a heated lower section and maybe a backrest but no smuggler I can always add that later.
So if I go with a Corbin then I have to pick the type of top and sides. Thinking black leather top but what for the sides---the bike is black with a carbon fiber area p slip on.

Pete

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline sininja

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:57:12 am »
I'm 6'1 and 290.  I had the modular version.  it lowers the position too much in my opinion.  It's rock hard.  Improvement over stock yes, but there's much better options out there.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 01:11:10 am »
Hi,
         Psssst......LAAM! ;D

Done deal! :great:

Get it like you want it! :beerchug:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline DiverRay

• Tricycle
  • Ride Safe, Ride Fast
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12498
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 03:52:47 am »
I'm 5'11", live near Corbin, but would NEVER buy their seats! I've made one myself, had someone make one for me, and am now going to re-foam the stock pan on my own. About $60 in material with shipping, and I can probably do two seats. I figure about 3 hours of my time and I'll have a seat I can sit on for 12 hours, as I'll need to in July.
Laam is who I would have build my seat if I had not found the type of foam I know I need for it.
Ray Matteis
KE6NHG
2011 Concours
1978 XS1100 Yamaha (winter project)

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Crotch Rocket
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 09:16:43 am »
Corbins are hard as brick's.  The older versions would break in and mold to your posterior...however, the new ones stay pretty hard.  I have had Corbins on 3 bikes over the years (2004-present) and can tell the difference in the foam.  I have the Modular and the Canyon Dual Sport as secondary seats for my 09.  Couldn't stand the lack of comfort on the Modular and had Seth Laam rebuild the front (I only kept it because of the Smuggler).
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Mountain Runner Flash.  

Online EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:24:51 am »
Personal preference, I know... I have almost 50k miles on the bike and the better part of 40k on a Corbin (modular). I have tried almost all that are mentioned and I continue to go back to it. The quality of the pan and materials is second to none and yes it is very firm. My butt and back agree, it is the best seat for me!!  See what I did there?  ;D Good luck with you're quest, it is an expensive one.
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:25:17 am »
I love my Smuggler, but detest the brick, er, seat. Still rock-hard after 30,000 miles...and I bought it used!!!.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline Graphicjunkie

• Never ride faster than your guardian angel!
  • Road Bike
  • If guns kill people, my pencil misspells words.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 05:10:06 pm »
Ditto on that.  I'm going to have my seat revamped this winter.  Just can't take it!  One hour commute, and I'm having to stand, wiggle, shift...anything to ease the pressure.
2009 Black ABS - Night Fury (Shoodaben*ZX14 Header*Dual Two Bros*Vstream*heated grips*fender extender*lowered foot pegs*radiator protector*LEDs*wedges*TechSpec*Corbin/Smuggler*switchbacks*Stebel)
2008 Neutron Silver  - Silver Streak (GONE)
Colorado

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12344
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 06:06:01 pm »
Before you toss corbin any money go down to home depot and spend $3 on a bag of quickrete. Put it on your bike and see how that feels, because that's how a corbin seat feels....when you actually get it months later from them!

No, I have nothing good to say about them or their product! Sadly a off the shelf Sargent worked better for me.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 06:28:07 pm »
Before you toss corbin any money go down to home depot and spend $3 on a bag of quickrete. Put it on your bike and see how that feels, because that's how a corbin seat feels....when you actually get it months later from them!

No, I have nothing good to say about them or their product! Sadly a off the shelf Sargent worked better for me.

Hi,
         That's funny! ;D

When you get a seat with quality foam.... :o

You will never go back!!! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »
Not many people like a Corbin out of the box, I didn't do anything to mine for a long time because I used an Airhawk for a band-aid on long trips.
Can't wait to try it out now though, I get it back from Seth Laam tomorrow. :dance: I added heat in the pillion, softened it up for me and her, and topped it with some asphalt. :Woot_Emoticon:
First trip on'r will be 2,000 miles to the Nats.  :motonoises:

Online andydude

• Road Bike
  • Let's Ride !!
  • COG#: 10598
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:25 pm »
Looks nice and comfy Tom !! :great: :great:
2012 Black C14

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 12:03:24 pm »
Not many people like a Corbin out of the box, I didn't do anything to mine for a long time because I used an Airhawk for a band-aid on long trips.
Can't wait to try it out now though, I get it back from Seth Laam tomorrow. :dance: I added heat in the pillion, softened it up for me and her, and topped it with some asphalt. :Woot_Emoticon:
First trip on'r will be 2,000 miles to the Nats.  :motonoises:

Mmmm... that looks comfy!  :great: :great:
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Online Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Moped
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 10:35:39 am »
Now why can't they just give you options to build it like that? That would resolve their biggest complaints, and there are many of them. The better foam option, the better asphalt covering non slide all over option. That looks like you nailed it in the seat department!!
 Curious for follow up on your re-worked seat.

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »
Now why can't they just give you options to build it like that? That would resolve their biggest complaints, and there are many of them. The better foam option, the better asphalt covering non slide all over option. That looks like you nailed it in the seat department!!
Love the seat, I can easily ride tank to tank now.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 06:33:20 pm »
My Smuggler is always on the bike, I'm sorry I ever bought the rear seat section, If you want two to ride just put the stock seat back on, save money.

You can tell Corbin you want a softer seat from the start, I call them years ago about making it softer, since I'm the original buyer they said to send it back and they will change the foam because it has a lifetime warranty.   
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Online Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Moped
  • "SPORT" tourer
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 07:27:57 pm »
Love the seat, I can easily ride tank to tank now.

So my guess is you don't want to sell it :( LOL   Thanks for the reply on a 3 year old post. I would just order the Corbin and ask for more cush but I simply don't trust Corbin. (past experience) and for their price I can't afford NOT to be happy. If you ever sell your bike contact me and I'll buy your seat :great:

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 04:29:01 pm »
What is the asphalt? I have not seen that surface before on the Laam page. Since I have one in the queue out there I would like to look at that before going with the Carbon Fibre option I had on the last one

Online Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Moped
  • "SPORT" tourer
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 04:36:30 pm »
It's an option, I've only previously seen it used on the sides of seats. It is textured and wears very well. I imagine it would eliminate sliding around on the seat.

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10559
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 05:16:00 pm »
Nothing to add about the Corbin seat.  But the company Corbin is within my realm of experience.  I have never been so unhappy in a farkle purchase as when I dealt with Corbin.  I can't even begin to tell you what a disaster they are.  I am the "anti corbin" though so take it for what it's worth.

"The All Knowing Turkey" 
tongue in cheek
2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR