Author Topic: Cruisers and Sportbikes....  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Larry650

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Cruisers and Sportbikes....
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
I'm a former C10 owner who sold it and bought a ZZR1200. However the wife is not amused riding on the smaller, higher sportbike seat. With me leaning forward she has to hold onto the grab rail instead of leaning on the Givi trunk.     I've been thinking of getting a bike we can both ride on together (and keeping the ZZR1200). A friend asked me to ride his Victory 92TC bagger for the month he's gone on vacation. So... I've been riding the Victory both alone and with the wife.     I'm 6'1" and 220lbs, in good conditon and work out 5x a week. But this thing is a tank! Poor suspensioni front and rear, plus no power! It peaks about 3500rpm and struggles to get past 80mph, where it vibrates a lot. It's quite nice at 70mph but who goes 70, at least on the highway?    I was thinking of getting one of these beasts, and think that's why my friend asked me to ride it, figuring I'd become interested given the chance to ride it.     I am looking for a nice UJM-type of literbike the wife and I can ride around on together. My C10 fit pretty good, and they are available at a great price, but I don't want 20 year old technology.    Any suggestions? A good stiff drink? Cycletrader?    <RANT/>  
2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200 for riding with the wife
2004 SV650S for riding solo and on the track
2007 DRZ400SM for riding solo and on the track (lots of fun in 38hp)
Responsible for wrenching on all those plus my daughters' 2007 ZZR 600
US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro...200/index.html
EU Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...es/ZZR1200.html

Offline Raymond

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8125
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »
First off, I would say that a lot of the new C14 riders (I'm including myself) came from sportier rides... I traded my Blackbird for the c14. Yeah, you could keep the ZZR, but I suspect that given a chance to really ride the new Connie, you will find that it will give you a spirited ride and you'll be riding the ZZR less. The C14 is most definitely leaning towards the Sport side of Sport-Touring. I mostly ride solo so I can't comment on the pillion accommodations.   RayK                                                                 COG# 8125  CDA# 0273  '08 ZG 1400  '07 KLR650    
RayK                                                                 COG# 8125  CDA# 0273  '08 ZG 1400

Offline Larry650

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »
My post is mainly to ask about how cruisers are suppossed to perform, and I am surprised so many folks like them. They are fairly comfortable but the performance is limited.     I rode a C14 almost a year ago at the COG National in WV and also rode one 2 months ago in Myrtle Beach. I also rode the ZX-14 and liked them both immensely. I love the ZZR and it is very comfortable for me riding solo...     If my wife really wanted to ride together maybe we'd consider a C14 but that's about $7K more than I want to spend now...  

Offline oneshot

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 5630
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
i had kind of the same issue....    i had 2 connies, then a v-strom, then an   st1300, and the wife didn't really like   any of them. she kept drooling over the   g-wings and ventures that our friends rode  ...so, i made her a deal. i sold the st13   and bought a yamaha rsv for us to ride, and   a honda superhawk for my "me time".     the venture is kind of a tank, but there's a   lot that can be done to improve the brakes  and handling. and it has ok power (around 90   hp)also, it has a cb, intercom, radio, cruise control......and the wife is happy now....  
Kevin Baker Front Royal, VA    '00 Yamaha RSV  '05 Honda XR650R - Plated

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:36:00 am »
David - all the cruisers I've riden were really pretty lame. I did ride a yamaha (dammit, can't recal the model) that was a brand new model cruiser and it was pretty fast and actually handled well - but it's a 14,000 bike. If you're looking for something your wife will like and is dedicated for your 2 up riding, why not look at a voyager or an older g'wing. I haven't ridden a voyager, but by all accounts they outperform a 1500 wing in every manner, and you can find used ones for 3 - 4000 in good condition.       I'm currently looking for a "somewhat beater" klr650, if you run across one, let me know - Steve   Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets.       My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Greg M.

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 7858
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »
David,  You're wondering why so many people like and get cruisers?  I think it's mainly the image thing they are getting. A lot of people put a very high priority on the "cool factor"... no matter how expensive they might be, or not as practical in any sense... Still, it's the sound and the look... the image - That's what they're buying.    I'm not saying that, there are not some who have practical reasons for making that decision... of course there are... and I say, "it's all good" "whatever floats yer boat".  But I just think, that for many, it's simply an image deal.  
Greg M.  Newcastle, Wa.103

Offline Larry650

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »
Well... I agree with you at least as far as Harley owners. Most are Harley owners versus motorcycle riders. I have learned to appreciate riding the big cruiser though the Victory is extremely heave and clumsy below 15 mph or so.     I was looking for a bike the wife and I can fit on and even looked back at a C10 but after riding my ZZR1200 I cannot go back to a C10. It's a great bike and this was a great deal. I am now looking for a Vulcan 1500 of some sort at a reasonable price. Japanese quality and price, good performance and a nice package.