Author Topic: current battery deals...  (Read 1045 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
current battery deals...
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:31:15 pm »
I get sales ads from this company, as I've bought from them for years..
Here is the current one... ready for the spring prep and go...

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/kawasaki/2008/1400cc-zg1400-concours-abs/

No affiliation, just a customer that apreciates extremely fast shipping... like it shows up when you are hanging the phone up.. well, not that fast, but fast... :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: current battery deals...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:53:06 pm »
Even though my 5 year old OEM battery is still fine it was was a toss up between your link and my old favorite batterymart.com.

The battery specs and prices are similar but decided the 220CCA versus the 200CCA won out for the same price. I am sure it will make no difference. But lots of trips coming up and a new battery is good insurance.

thanks!
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline DDZX14

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12763
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:33:15 pm »
I bought a Scorpion YTX14-BS for my 03 FZ1 in 2016 from Battstuff.  I sold the FZ in 17 and swapped batteries  between my 12 ZX14r and FZ1.  The 4 yr old OEM battery spun my engine faster than this Scorpion.  I would definitely get a larger CCA battery.
2012 ZX14r
New-Old Member (94-99)
US Army 71-74

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:28:52 pm »
The other option is the Big Crank AGM from Batterymart, its less CCA than the Scorp. lets hope I don't have any issues, will find out soon enough. Its on the way.

BTW: I have always bought the Big Cranks, rolling the dice on this one.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:37:06 pm »
The other option is the Big Crank AGM from Batterymart, its less CCA than the Scorp. lets hope I don't have any issues, will find out soon enough. Its on the way.

BTW: I have always bought the Big Cranks, rolling the dice on this one.

I also bought from BatteryMart in past, fast service and good price also, but the last one I bought there, which was a Big Crank, did not last long for me, I think it was only 2 years, which bummed me out. I didn't really maintain it tho, so partially my bad, but I think that one had a severe winter, and was not a high CCA to start with...(170 maybe, don't recall) , but I do remember it was really low priced, so didn't get me too p/o'd. The scorpion I got was a 200CCA I think, and lasted 4 years, again, never maintained, but pulled in early spring and deep cycle charged each year.. niether of them had an "activation date" stamped on it, so likely niether was "fresh" to start with, may have been old stock,  sealed units as delivered. I have a Tractor Supply in town, and they carry affordable batts in correct size, so I can always walk in for one there.
Was just sharing what I got as a price oprion for folks looking for a fast delivery.

I agree on the higher CCA batts, but the real figure to look at is the AH rating, some are 12AH, most are 14AH, and if you can find an 18AH its even better... but most of those begin to get larger than the space or tray.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 02:35:23 pm »
The Scorp is 14mah so that's good.

I am sure it will be fine, I always keep mine on tenders, the last Big Crank went 7 years in my ZX14, I changed it a few years back just due to the age. 7 years is a long time. My stock C14 battery is now 5 years old so its time for a AGM.

I have no worries I will not be completely satisfied.  :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 09:48:06 pm »
The Scorp is 14mah so that's good.

I am sure it will be fine, I always keep mine on tenders, the last Big Crank went 7 years in my ZX14, I changed it a few years back just due to the age. 7 years is a long time. My stock C14 battery is now 5 years old so its time for a AGM.

I have no worries I will not be completely satisfied.  :beerchug:

The Scorp, is indeed a viable battery... (14AH not 14mah... that is a watch battery... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  )
I caution folks to read the tru specs on all batts tho, and don't go by the part number, which is not always true, like the other 2 batteries on that page I linked.. YTX14-BS should ALL be rated at 14AH, but 2 were only in actuality 12AH, even tho they had the same number... which is misleading. The BigCrank I bought from BatteryMart as well as their branded model, both were 12AH, I wasn't happy with that big Crank, for the $$ I paid, and they didn't honor the gurantee when I pressed them about it...
I don't think you will be let down on the Scorp tho, I've used them, and the price is a good one, compared to the others

I think I'll be ordering one shortly myself, just for the heck of it...
I always like to cycle my charger on any new battery no matter what, before I install them.. I do a 2A manual charge, and watch the meters, then I connect a 12v headlight, run for a minute, and do a full trickle charge to top off again.. seems to activate the battery a bit better, and add to its capacity to be recharged during use, and short periods of sitting therafter.

I did mention my local Tractor Supply outlet had good deals on batteries..
Last one I bought was a DRY sealed AGM, which you activate and plug, I've been told there was no such thing, but here's one to prove it...
We will see shortly how it faired over this past winter....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:08:16 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:24:07 am »
Lets see if my Scorp Watch battery mah starts the C14. Thanks for the correction, funny!
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 03:56:47 pm »
Just bought a Shorai Lithium (LFX21A6-BS12) from Cycle Gear, had a 10% off coupon.  Should be in today...I will update when it is installed and see how it cranks and holds up.  Looking forward to shedding a few pounds so I can add another farkle to even it out...

Cheers!

Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 04:15:28 pm »
Higher CCAs are great but there is a tradeoff for the extra oomph.

The extra cranking capacity happens from changing the plate area to electrolyte volume ratio in a given package size. The lower CCA ratings indicate less plate area and more electrolyte volume and the advantage to that is they will hold a charge longer.
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 04:27:20 pm »
Higher CCAs are great but there is a tradeoff for the extra oomph.

The extra cranking capacity happens from changing the plate area to electrolyte volume ratio in a given package size. The lower CCA ratings indicate less plate area and more electrolyte volume and the advantage to that is they will hold a charge longer.

Didn't know this.  Thanks.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 06:53:24 pm »
Installed the Scorpion battery just now. Its 12 AH and 220CCA

Interesting discovery is the stock battery in my 2013 is an AGM!!! :beerchug: Its also 14.7 AH and 230CCA. So I have down graded somewhat with the new battery. BUT.........it spins and starts up very nicely, I don't or can't detect a degradation with the new one.

Going to battery mart now just to look at more powerful batteries. Not taking the Scorp out BTW just fishing for other options down the road.

I wonder if one can find a 240CCA and 14 AH battery out there for the C14?

found one BTW
https://www.batterymart.com/p-bm-mbyz16h-motobatt-agm-battery.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:57:59 pm by gpd323 »
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 07:20:09 pm »
Installed the Scorpion battery just now. Its 12 AH and 220CCA

Interesting discovery is the stock battery in my 2013 is an AGM!!! :beerchug: Its also 14.7 AH and 230CCA. So I have down graded somewhat with the new battery. BUT.........it spins and starts up very nicely, I don't or can't detect a degradation with the new one.

Going to battery mart now just to look at more powerful batteries. Not taking the Scorp out BTW just fishing for other options down the road.

I wonder if one can find a 240CCA and 14 AH battery out there for the C14?

found one BTW
https://www.batterymart.com/p-bm-mbyz16h-motobatt-agm-battery.html

Did you buy this battery
https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX14-BS.html

As it is noted on the batt, and in the specifications, as being a 14AH battery... if its being falsly represented, id be a bit pizzed

The OEM is a sealed AGM, as is the Scorp, and most others today..
Even that Exide batt I showed a picture of, is considered as a "sealed, mantenace free, AGM battery", even tho its shipped or purchased "dry" and you dump in the acid, and pound in the sealing strip..after it perks a while..

The MotoBat unit is considered to be the top of the line for this bike, when placed against all other AGM maintenance free batts, and is priced accordingly, Murph used to carry them, but it became cost prohibitive, as he had to buy them in quantity,band store them, and in reality as they were a "pre activated" battery, the clock started ticking the day it was manufactured, so if they sat on a shelf for a year, it was a year old when its purchased... and I don't blame him for discontinuing them, as batt sales are seasonal... everyone wants one come April and May, and from August to April, they sit... getting older.

I think we all have to start sending letters to Odyssey, asking them to produce a unit sized for this bike, I love their batteries, and used them in my C10's, never had one fail to work ever, even after 8 years.. simply awesome batt, just nonsize available for the C14.. dammit.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »
yup thats what I purchased. I am not disappointed at all. Its the same specs as the big crank I have for the ZX14.

Oh, I did put it on a charger before install just because. Its charged up fully in about 30 minutes using my CTEK unit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:49:35 pm by gpd323 »
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 07:53:26 pm »
yup thats what I purchased. I am not disappointed at all. Its the same specs as the big crank I have for the ZX14.

Oh, I did put it on a charger before install just because. Its charged up fully in about 30 minutes using my CTEK unit.

I only questioned you because you said it was 12Ah, was it marked as such?
The one I noted is 14Ah, and the one I have in my basement.. dead, is also marked 14ah.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 07:59:49 pm »
its marked at 14AH  on the battery case.

Just looked at the box, its marked as 12AH.

So which is it?

Started the bike up again, starts super fast I have no worries.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:13:34 pm by gpd323 »
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 08:24:24 pm »
its marked at 14AH  on the battery case.

Just looked at the box, its marked as 12AH.

So which is it?

Started the bike up again, starts super fast I have no worries.

Don't ya just hate when that happens.... :rotflmao:
All kidding aside, its likely what is marked on the battery itself, it would bring down great amounts of vengence, if it were false in that respect..
All good, you are happy, bike is happy... win/win situation,  :great: :great: :beerchug:
Oh, and thanks for that MotoBatt link, all I found were the yellow ones, @ 14ah..
Man, they are pricey, but they are top line.
Cheers

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 09:07:22 pm »
I'm not concerned about the AH number, thats if the charging sys dies and that the batts reserve power. The CCA I would think is more important, but at 220CCA the Scorpion spins the C14 up super fast.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 03:28:41 pm »
Got the Shorai Lithium mounted.  Pretty easy, the high density foam they include in the kit makes it easy to shield the battery box from sharp things, etc.  This battery rates out at 315 CCA, 94WH. I also bought the Shorai charger unit.  Expensive, however, after the price of the battery, whats another $80?

I charged it according to their instructions and it topped off at 14.4V.  When I disconnected the charger it immediately started to decrease the voltage settling on 13.8 or so.  When I turn the ignition on the volt reading on the instrument cluster shows ~13.8 moving downward toward 12+ as different components like my Denali's come on line since I am using the PDM60 and have a delay on the accessories.  Once I start the engine and move off, the voltage climbs to 14.4V and stays there all during the ride. 

The engine cranks fast and starts up fine, no change really from the Duralast AGM the I pulled out of it other than the weight difference.

Cheers!

Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 03:06:20 pm »
Update- Shorai Battery is working well as far as I can tell from riding with it.  Starts quickly and seems to maintain it ability to run the electronics I have installed on the bike.

After sitting overnight the bikes display shows voltage at 13+-.  After warm up and about 1 mile down the road it is up to 14.4V where it stays for however long the bike is running. 

I have let the bike sit for 10 min. with the motor off but all current draining appliances turned on, grips, Denali DMs, LED headlights- voltage falls to ~13.4.  Starts up immediately and I move off.

Still happy with it.  We will see how it holds up on longer rides and over time, which I will report on.

Safe Riding!

Gilbysan
gilbysan