Author Topic: Dented a header pipe  (Read 998 times)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13013
  • Membership Level: Active
Dented a header pipe
« on: July 04, 2019, 08:04:39 pm »
Just returned yesterday from a great trip to Boise, ID.  On the way back I was exiting a convenience store parking lot in the rain, and managed to miss the entrance/exit and instead went off the curb, denting the left cylinder pipe in the process.  The dent is about 2" long, the worst part being about the size of a quarter and about 1/8" deep (see pics).

Can a dent this size cause problems, and if so, is it repairable or am I looking at replacing the whole header assembly?  I still had 600 miles to go, and the bike ran fine the rest of the way with no performance issues whatsoever.  But wanted to see what those in the know here think.
2012 C14

Offline redline

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7067
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Dented a header pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 08:28:55 pm »
I don't know much except that i went leaned through a sharp turn over and hit a huge rock center my lane.
 it messed up my fairing a bit, tie down spool on the rear wheel and took a chunk of the heat shield from the exhaust. it also dented the exhaust in about the same place as yours but not quite as long but as deep as the one in your pic.  put on some miles since and haven't had any issues.  Don't plan on fixing that....  Ted
COG# 7067   2013 C14 "C-YA"

Offline GrantE

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Directors
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:36:55 pm »
I doubt it will cause an issue but if ever you need a reason to justify a full Area P or maybe the new full Delkalvic  ;)
Not enabling just making lemonade  :rotflmao:
2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

AMA#4044713

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:51:25 pm »
I doubt it will cause an issue but if ever you need a reason to justify a full Area P or maybe the new full Delkalvic  ;)
I don't know much except that i went leaned through a sharp turn over and hit a huge rock center my lane.
 it messed up my fairing a bit, tie down spool on the rear wheel and took a chunk of the heat shield from the exhaust. it also dented the exhaust in about the same place as yours but not quite as long but as deep as the one in your pic.  put on some miles since and haven't had any issues.  Don't plan on fixing that....  Ted

Thanks guys.  If the damage was sufficient to require replacement, the "lemonade" of an Area P or Delkevic would be the smart money instead of $1500 for a new OEM system.
2012 C14

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:24:15 pm »
I had a dent like yours in my header at about 20,000 miles. The impact also broke off the drain bolt shield and scraped an edge off the drain bolt.  The 08 went another 150,000 miles with a flawlessly running motor until it was totaled by a re-end hit from a Toyota

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 12:41:42 am »
that dent won't effect anything do not worry about it..
just chalk the experience up in memory, and be careful.

the header is fine, and will not be an issue.  :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline LSGiant

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 10:44:40 am »
Agree with everyone it won't matter but if it bothers you
 I dented mine much worse and found a replacement for cheap just by placing a wanted in the classifieds here. Still seems to be many folks switching to dual pipes.
What have you done to help COG today ?
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 12:45:09 pm »
Agree with everyone it won't matter but if it bothers you
 I dented mine much worse and found a replacement for cheap just by placing a wanted in the classifieds here. Still seems to be many folks switching to dual pipes.

that dent won't effect anything do not worry about it..
just chalk the experience up in memory, and be careful.

the header is fine, and will not be an issue.  :great: :great:

Thanks - relieved to hear!  May go with another system at some point but just don't need the expense of having to replace at this time.
2012 C14

Offline Steiny

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 11:34:39 am »
Here is a link to MotorTrend  ,  they beat the crap out of a set of headers and dyno it .   only looses a few HP at the top of the RPM range.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/exhaust-header-bash-testing-power-loss-from-dents/0_ujj8a8mw/

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 03:58:30 pm »
Here is a link to MotorTrend  ,  they beat the crap out of a set of headers and dyno it .   only looses a few HP at the top of the RPM range.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/exhaust-header-bash-testing-power-loss-from-dents/0_ujj8a8mw/

Thanks.  I was also worried about the cylinder overheating if exhaust flow was sufficiently hampered, but I think the dent is too small for this to be a problem.
2012 C14

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10014
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 11:54:32 pm »
In case you want to fix it using stock headers I have one that was to fix same thing yours looks like.  Sold the C14 and still have the header.  Went back to a C10.  Since I see you are from TX, not sure area, so am I.  Very inexpensive since I got it very inexpensively. 

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 04:09:34 pm »
In case you want to fix it using stock headers I have one that was to fix same thing yours looks like.  Sold the C14 and still have the header.  Went back to a C10.  Since I see you are from TX, not sure area, so am I.  Very inexpensive since I got it very inexpensively.

Thanks.  If I decide to replace it with stock I'll get in touch.
2012 C14

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 12:59:55 am »
I'm not sure if it could work on your dent but we used to take our motocross expansion chambers off, and fill them with water, plug the ends and put them in the freezer...it freezes and expands and fixes the dents.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 03:08:13 pm »
I'm not sure if it could work on your dent but we used to take our motocross expansion chambers off, and fill them with water, plug the ends and put them in the freezer...it freezes and expands and fixes the dents.

Thanks.  I'm aware of that trick but my freezer's way too small.
2012 C14

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 08:15:31 pm »
I just installed the full Delk, it's a nice unit and install was pretty easy, just sayin.  :)
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 03:51:07 pm »
Hey Joshua, the NorthWet has 3 events going on in August. Find one on the Calendar you like, join us so we can see those bad boys. Plus you might have a good time. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 04:13:07 pm »
Hey Joshua, the NorthWet has 3 events going on in August. Find one on the Calendar you like, join us so we can see those bad boys. Plus you might have a good time. Tim

Thanks Tim, been looking at the Sisters event and the Ribbon event. Gotta make it to one of them.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Road Bike
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 04:35:29 pm »
I just installed the full Delk, it's a nice unit and install was pretty easy, just sayin.  :)

:TPIWWP:
2015 Black C14
So, after hearing the trash can getting the H beat out of it, we're looking at the dinner plate size bear tracks in the snow. My wife says, "Why don't you go down and see if it's still there?"!!!

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 05:36:34 pm »

:TPIWWP:
Yeah, so.... I'm posting from mobile Android and have not been successful in formatting my biggee pictures to a size that's acceptable to this platform. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 05:49:32 pm »
The last several posts have strayed onto an entirely different topic than my OP.  Please use another thread to continue your discussion.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:55:05 pm by Kreton'sLC »
2012 C14