Author Topic: do I need to adjust brake if I lower pegs  (Read 1256 times)

Offline 1gopokes1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
do I need to adjust brake if I lower pegs
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:46:26 am »
Hello newbie

Just got an 09 C14 ABS with 1300 miles on the clock for $7400
I added MCL bar risers and have peg lowering kit ( 6'4" 34" inseam)

My question is do I need to mess with brake ( sounds complicated) if I lower the pegs

Thanks JS Colo Springs

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: do I need to adjust brake if I lower pegs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:05:05 am »
Hey Jim. Welcome in. Mark Hartman your ever grateful SW Area Director. Please check the SW events forum page. I believe the Bruces are planning a wrench session and ride in CO. Hope to have it on the calendar soon. Quick answer is yes and it's not to hard. I run Murphs drop pegs. Remove the hitch pin from the brake master cylinder, run her up some threads, re attach and test. I had to cut a bit off of the threaded rod on the master cylinder to get it where I wanted it but maybe not for you (also need to adjust the spring for the brake light actuator). Adjust and test. Also need to adjust shift lever but that's easy peasy with a couple turns on the turn buckle. Lemme know if you need more info.
Mark
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:38:16 am »
I didn't adjust either and it's fine by me. My foot actually fits better below the shift lever when cruising. Just have to get used to lifting your foot up to shift down. Brake is fine too. I ride with my foot out to the side.

Oh, and welcome!

Offline Racerboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:48:29 am »
I just installed the lowered pegs (Murph's Kits) last weekend, and lowering the brake pedal is easier than it sounds. Like Old Man, I also cut off about a 1/4" off the master cylinder push rod. Of course it would have been really easy if I had a bike lift, but I don't.

The shifter is very easy to adjust.

Offline Michael

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11401
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:22:07 pm »
6'4 here as well and I didn't adjust a thing. Now, I had about 5 miles on the bike before I put on Murph's pegs, so I have no idea what it was like with the OEM pegs. Things work just fine for me with no adjustment.

Offline COGKNYCENT

• Mount up
  • Tricycle
  • Ride em if you got em
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 02:32:51 am »
Ditto to most interesting old man on a connie. I also added a pedal stop to drop break lever so boot scooting up and over lever is a simple roll over the top instead of pointing your toe to the sky then coming back down on the pedal.
Many test drives in between.
2012 Councours 14 ABS
2009 Buell Ulysses
2007 Buell Ulysses
2006 Honda 919
2002 WydGlyd
Virago, Nighthawk, 79-750K, 79-900 custom, 50 step thru, Bultaco Alpina, Matador, Big Horn, 175 enduro, doodlebug

Offline 1gopokes1

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 01:12:08 am »
finally  have no snow on driveway, so I went for a ride today

I came home and adjusted the shifter

MCL says to adjust brake pedal by loosening bolt on  inside of frame????  I don't see what that would do>

I see the threaded rod and forked connector. But how does the pin come out??  I don't see a circlip?  I hate when things go SNAP

anybody have Pics

Thanks

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:32:23 am »
finally  have no snow on driveway, so I went for a ride today

I came home and adjusted the shifter

MCL says to adjust brake pedal by loosening bolt on  inside of frame????  I don't see what that would do>

I see the threaded rod and forked connector. But how does the pin come out??  I don't see a circlip?  I hate when things go SNAP

anybody have Pics

Thanks

I'll see what I can get for ya. Front Range tech day and ride is on the calendar. Bet they'd love to have you. http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,50438.0.html
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Gigantor

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9242
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 01:57:59 am »
JS, I'm 6'3" and have a 34" inseam and when I lowered my pegs I did need to lower the brake and shift levers.  It's easy to do and I didn't have to cut the push rod, I just bottomed it out.  Whether or not you'll have to adjust them is up to you.  Get on it and see if it feels natural if not change them.
1988 CBR600  Long Gone
1985 VF750   Sold
1996  Royalstar Sold
1993  CBR1000F  Shouldn't have Sold
2003  C-10  Sold
2008  C-14  Destroyed
2008  C-14  So Far So Good
COG 9242   AMA 1082581  ROK ROK100028645

Offline firehawk618

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 06:50:03 am »
I have Murph's lower pegs also and didn't adjust anything.  I got used to it quickly and like it.
2012 C14 Black

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 07:54:37 am »
I'm the odd man out here.  When I put on Murphs low pegs I lowered both the shifter and brake lever (shortened the brake rod too).  Decided my legs weren't long enough so I put the stock pegs back on. Raised the shifter back up but left the brake lever way down there. Discovered I like the brake lever down low and it's been there ever since.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.