Author Topic: Driveline lash  (Read 2341 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Driveline lash
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 09:07:03 pm »
The main reason automakers focus on perfecting slushbox transmissions is to satiate customers-who-have-nothing-better-to-do-but-bitch-and-moan about "perceived" driveline slop in a manual gearbox.
I guess I'll become one of those nagging old-farts one day...Untill then I enjoy my genuine "driveline slop"

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 09:42:07 pm »
Steve's recommendation to tighten the throttle cable and bunch and then a barrel roll is spot on. I would say 90% of my DL lash/slop complaint is now outa here.

I currently have the EVO flash with a tweak. I won't say anything more because this is Steve's project.  :great:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 01:46:00 pm »
Steve's recommendation to tighten the throttle cable and bunch and then a barrel roll is spot on. I would say 90% of my DL lash/slop complaint is now outa here.

I currently have the EVO flash with a tweak. I won't say anything more because this is Steve's project.  :great:
Pardon my ignorance, but I've been following this thread and trying to understand what the procedure is to remove the DL lash; all you need to do is tighten the throttle all the way...and that's it?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 07:09:36 pm »
Yes and no. The actual driveline lash is purely a mechanical function of how the gears fit together. However, the perceived feel of this lash can be minimized by adjusting the throttle cables as outlined by Steve. You're not changing the actual gear lash but you are taking the slop/error out of the TPS (throttle position sensor). It can make a significant difference, give it a try.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver