Author Topic: Dyno Charts Are In  (Read 69751 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Dyno Charts Are In
« on: September 21, 2015, 11:10:46 pm »

For your perusal. Runs done on 89 octane ... Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
Re: Dyno Charts Are In
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:12:24 pm »
Drag race to compare gear on gear power.

Offline Unclefacts

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 11:12:34 pm »
daaaaaaaaayamn, where do I send cash?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:58:26 pm »
those dyno results may be lost on a lot of people, but I read betweenn the lines and have to say, where I see the improvements s awesome...
good job buba..I think realsitically bed on what I've seen, this bike breathes sooooo much better, its a gobsmack.
great job.... especially in the sixth gear upper end pulling, I know for a fact, to get that potential out of sixth gear was never gonna happen unless a tune did it. this tune is pretty close to spot on.. love it man.
great job, it wobbles a bit in sixth, but far superior to what I felt in my 160 mph gps backed runs..

:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :beerchug: :great: :beerchug: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:10:56 am »
Wow, ok charts are proof I want this!  :-\

Hope we see this available soon! I'm sure your 'coming soon' video will talk about removal/installation of the ECU as well as these dyno charts.  :great:
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 03:23:11 am »
MOB, am I missing something? I only count five gears in the second dyno chart. Am I reading it wrong?
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 08:39:50 am »
Steve, I'm curious about your statement regarding the use of 89 octane. My understanding is that the octane requirement is dictated by the compression ratio and timing advance to prevent detonation. Does your flash retard the timing to prevent detonation on mid-grade fuel? The sticker on my gas tank says to use 90 octane (premium fuel) IIRC. Retarding the timing would be the opposite of what you would want to do to increase horsepower, yet your rear wheel horsepower numbers are well above a stock configuration. I certainly don't pretend to know all about engine tuning. I'm just stating what I understand and want to better understand your configuration.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:52:09 am by Bigfoot_16 »
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 09:09:12 am »
146 HP with total Stock exhaust system !!!!!!!!.  :motonoises: 
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline rodgard

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11429
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 10:28:48 am »
C14 ownership has it's privileges!!!!!  Nice work Steve - and while I can't imagine this beast with even more HP, we do because we can.  And it appears you have done all this with no impact to fuel economy.
Ride Safe and Ride Far
Rodney
COG # 11429
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 - black of course!
1995 Ducati Monster 900

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 10:30:19 am »
I run 87 with no problems
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline GreeneGigantor

• Bicycle
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:16:22 am »
Steve,

Can you tweak your flash for area P full exhaust? I imagine using high octane will provide
more HP?
2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:20:31 am »
OK, some responses -

Using 89 octane - I decided before I even started tuning to use 89 octane, because I know a lot of guys would prefer that and if I could build a "safe" map on 89 then it is obviously safe if you're running 91 to 93 octane. This was done so I wouldn't change any parameters into the "unsafe" level, and also if the engine can tolerate it lower octane tends to give sharper throttle response. These runs are with fresh 89 pump gas from my local Mobil station and nothing else. So you want to know what I did? A lot of work, over 3 months, and 35 years of experience, that's what I did!

146 hp - the 146 # is a spike, if you look on the chart and see at the beginning of each shift there's a spike from the WOT shift. The real HP is at the 142 level, like the first chart. BTW, that 142# is a real, repeatable #.  To be honest I was floored that I'd gained that much. We did multiple runs, flashed the bike to the stock map and ran it, then back to my map. I told Chris I didn't want to try to use any tricks to make things look better, so the 128.8 stock run you see in the best stock run, there were others in the 126 area. So we used the best stock run, and then a middle of the pack flashed run on the chart, as the flashed runs all came in between 141 and 144. I knew the bike ran good, and figured I'd gained 5 or 6 hp on top, it really was floored to see a 14 hp gain!

Fuel economy - the fuel economy is HUGELY better than it was when the bike was stock. What this dyno chart, nor any dyno chart could show, is how much work was done at low throttle openings. This was done for economy and response.

Low rpm power - Chris told me he actually had trouble starting the runs at low rpm because the throttle is responsive and it kept overspeeding the drum with just a little throttle input. If you look at how the run starts with such a straight up climb and hard 90* turn, even moreso than the stock run, you can see the throttle responsiveness right there.  In riding, that's the kind of response that results in big smiles and sometimes wheelies  :)

The important stuff... If you've done your homework, and compared these charts to other stock charts, charts for bikes with other flashes, pipes, etc then this is a pretty impressive gain compared to what else it out there, keeping in mind this is a dead stock bike. That said, let's keep in mind that the dyno only tells you what the bike does in WOT, and not much of your riding is done there. This information, while cool, is really of limited instructional usage... riding the bike in the real world is the only true test that should matter. JMO, Steve

Offline Ninja

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11900
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 11:34:29 am »
OK, some responses -

Using 89 octane - I decided before I even started tuning to use 89 octane, because I know a lot of guys would prefer that and if I could build a "safe" map on 89 then it is obviously safe if you're running 91 to 93 octane. This was done so I wouldn't change any parameters into the "unsafe" level, and also if the engine can tolerate it lower octane tends to give sharper throttle response. These runs are with fresh 89 pump gas from my local Mobil station and nothing else. So you want to know what I did? A lot of work, over 3 months, and 35 years of experience, that's what I did!

146 hp - the 146 # is a spike, if you look on the chart and see at the beginning of each shift there's a spike from the WOT shift. The real HP is at the 142 level, like the first chart. BTW, that 142# is a real, repeatable #.  To be honest I was floored that I'd gained that much. We did multiple runs, flashed the bike to the stock map and ran it, then back to my map. I told Chris I didn't want to try to use any tricks to make things look better, so the 128.8 stock run you see in the best stock run, there were others in the 126 area. So we used the best stock run, and then a middle of the pack flashed run on the chart, as the flashed runs all came in between 141 and 144. I knew the bike ran good, and figured I'd gained 5 or 6 hp on top, it really was floored to see a 14 hp gain!

Fuel economy - the fuel economy is HUGELY better than it was when the bike was stock. What this dyno chart, nor any dyno chart could show, is how much work was done at low throttle openings. This was done for economy and response.

Low rpm power - Chris told me he actually had trouble starting the runs at low rpm because the throttle is responsive and it kept overspeeding the drum with just a little throttle input. If you look at how the run starts with such a straight up climb and hard 90* turn, even moreso than the stock run, you can see the throttle responsiveness right there.  In riding, that's the kind of response that results in big smiles and sometimes wheelies  :)

The important stuff... If you've done your homework, and compared these charts to other stock charts, charts for bikes with other flashes, pipes, etc then this is a pretty impressive gain compared to what else it out there, keeping in mind this is a dead stock bike. That said, let's keep in mind that the dyno only tells you what the bike does in WOT, and not much of your riding is done there. This information, while cool, is really of limited instructional usage... riding the bike in the real world is the only true test that should matter. JMO, Steve

:PDT_Armataz_01_37: :iagree:
2015 BMW S1000R - Replaced 2015 H2
2014 ZX-6R (track bike) replaced 2011 10R
2015 C14 - Fastest Color "Candy Lime Green"!
2005 KDX 200, 1984 Honda V65 Magna only 10K miles and immaculate and a 1983 Honda V45 Interceptor (Restoration project)

Offline Shepcam

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:53 am »
Do you plan to perform any runs with a slip-on exhaust? So many of us have these and would like to know how this works with your tune. I have been in IT for 25 years and can appreciate the time you have put in on this! Very nice :beerchug:
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline diablo6v

• Scooter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
 :) :) :) :) :) HOLY DYNO!!! Batman..I want it done to mine now!  WOW 142HP on a stock exhaust!!! WOW look at all that POWER down LOW :-\ :-\ :-\  How much?..I just emailed you....I can't wait to see how mine looks on the Dyno with the custom Header..OMG..watch out.. :)) :))

Offline GreeneGigantor

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »
Outstanding work Steve!! Best post of 2015
2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline vquad

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum Subscr
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 12:50:42 pm »
cant wait to get this mod done :motonoises:...take my money please :)
2015 BMW S1000RR
2015 Victory Magnum X1

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 12:52:01 pm »
I predict Steve will be spending a lot of time this winter flashing ECU's...     :)

Jamie

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 01:04:50 pm »
Very nice,

Staying tuned.....

:popcorncouple:

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 01:10:45 pm »
Excellent work Steve.  your attention to detail comes through once again!   :great:

Offline BerndV

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11937
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 01:26:14 pm »
How does your dyno tuning take into account the ram air effect in higher gears at higher speeds? 
Home: Kalispell, MT
My garage:
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14, MC Cruise, V&H CS One, SiSF Flash, Garmin Zumo, EarthX Lithium, etc., etc.
2013 Kawasaki ZX14R, Yoshimura R-77, Ivan Flash, PCV, Rotobox Carbon Fiber Wheels
2016 Mercedes E63 S AMG, AMS ECU Flash, AMS Catless DP's

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 01:36:59 pm »
How does your dyno tuning take into account the ram air effect in higher gears at higher speeds?

I've worked off the base tables, and my tuning was done actually riding the bike, not on the dyno. I changed nothing on the dyno, it was just a measuring stick for those to whom find it important.  Changes an atmospheric conditions, including the ram air effect, are built into the ecu in the form of pressure measurement differentials.

Did you see something you didn't like, or you think could be done better? I'm interested in providing the best map I can. HTH, Steve

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 02:02:10 pm »
Congrats on a fine job Steve!!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
Excellent work Steve.
Many are excited about the max hp at WOT. What impresses me is the smooooth plot!
But, I'm more impressed by what your saying about low throttle opening response. Well done. Yahoo!!!!

That is the pinnacle of your re-flash.

I wish there was a way to preform (and plot) a low throttle "response" test. {that makes sense to people}.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: What did the AFR look like?

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 03:13:17 pm »

I wish there was a way to preform (and plot) a low throttle "response" test. {that makes sense to people}.

Ride safe, Ted

actually Ted, you can see the throttle response on that chart. if you look at how vertical the acceleration line is on the TQ curve right in the beginning, you see it goes up higher and has less curve where it turns. the whole torque curve in the beginning is more "square" that shows that the bike instantly responds to throttle input it doesn't have to "build up" . HTH, Steve