Author Topic: ECU Flash Questions  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ECU Flash Questions
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »
OK, so here we go again. :-[

Power commander tables are built on throttle position sensor inputs.  That's where the problem comes from, because at low throttle opening the engine IS being directed by a speed / density table from the map sensor , and then the power commander is trying to override the wrong table. Probably the best way to get out of problems with the power commander is to zero out the maps and make no corrections below probably 30% throttle so it doesn't try to override the fueling generated from the map sensor.  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 07:05:50 pm »
Steve,
  To make all of this simpler for us just be straight up and admit it's all PFM.  :motonoises:
Pure Fu(fuel) Magic. :nananana: :beerchug:
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline jmozg1400

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12700
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 02:42:35 am »
No, it's not. Don't know where you saw THAT, but it's clearly $75.

https://store.schnitzracing.com/schnitz-ecu-reflash-kawasaki-zzr-1400-concours-14-08-17/

I meant for the entire Dyno Tune that was included.
2016 Kaw C14
2008 Kaw C14
1980 Honda CB650

Offline Nodesurfer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 02:38:02 am »
Roger that. It does seem like you get quite a bit for $75. But I think I'd rather get all the testing, tuning, and refining that has gone into Steve's package, which would seem to be the most likely to provide the across the board improvements I'd like to see.

Like I said, I paid over $300 for a Power Commander on another bike, and it was only marginally effective. I spent a lot of time screwing with it, trying different maps, making my own, and finally settling on one that another guy that had the same bike with the same setup had created with dyno pulls and let me have. It DID turn out to be the best, but it was a gas hog and only made a modest improvement in the "seat-of-the-pants" department. It wasn't worth $300. 

Offline FreddieHubbard

• Big Wheels
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 10:13:52 pm »
Hello to all.  New poster here with a question, while we are on the subject.  Just bought my first Concours (2017) this past June.  The first mod I did, even before I had finished breaking it in, was get Steve's evolution flash, which I am very happy with.  It addressed all of the issues and frustrations I had with the Concours (namely jerky throttle response and lack of low end torque).  The 10-15% increase in gas mileage (as corresponding increase in range) was just a bonus.  My previous bike was a 2011 Suzuki 1250FA.  Even though it had only 98 HP, it sure felt a lot stronger, I guess due to different tuning, an engine with a longer stroke, and the fact that it was 110 pounds lighter.  Anyway, my question is in regards to the o2 sensors and the ECU flash.  I unplugged them as originally instructed, though I understand this is no longer recommended, since as Steve explained, it was only done to diagnose faulty grounding issues.  My question is, would there be any benefit to plugging them back in?  Or does the ECU flash completely override input from the sensors anyway?  I believe I read in a previous post that one member swore that the bike seemed to run even better after plugging them back in.  Is this logical, or not?  I like to ride up into the mountains in higher elevations sometimes here in Virginia and perhaps input from the O2 sensors might offer some benefit??  Also, I have a little concern about the open O2 plug wires being exposed to the elements, even though I have covered them with electric tape.   

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 10:38:16 pm »
Freddie, send a note to Steve..
We can discuss, share opinions, and guess.
He's can answer quickly.

Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 12:08:33 am »
Freddie, they're already off, just leave them off. The system is shut off anyway. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline FreddieHubbard

• Big Wheels
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 12:51:49 am »
Thanks.  That answers my question.