Author Topic: Engine Heat  (Read 772 times)

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Engine Heat
« on: June 07, 2019, 06:31:50 pm »
What year, if there is such a model year improvement, addresses the issue of getting or reducing the engine heat away from the rider's crotch and legs?  I saw someone say an improvement came in 2011?  Was there also another in 2014?  I had a 1100xx and it rode hot.  I now have a ST1100 and it's pretty good actually.  I chose a used ST1100 over a used ST1300 primarily due to the bad engine heat reputation of the ST1300.  I am still interested in the Concours and have been looking around.
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Engine Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:07:25 pm »
2010 is when they made a change to the fairings. That said, I had Ivan flash my 08, which used to run really hot, and it’s so much cooler now. Fan doesn’t come on as often nor as long. Even in high heat, it runs a full bar cooler than it used to.

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:38:44 pm »
Thanks for the info!
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13013
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:49:17 pm »
This is my first summer with my '12 Connie and we've already hit triple digits.  So far so good with absolutely no heat roasting my lower extremities, even in stop-and-go. 

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 02:53:07 am »
My 09 absolutely roasted me in traffic today. 95F outside, my little dash thermometer got to 120 once the fan kicked on and started blowing the super heated engine air up on me. I think it's getting the Stevie flash asap. Also, this bike is bone stock and while it makes terrific midrange surge @4-8k it feels to really flatten above 8k though it does keep pulling. Is that normal for a stocker?
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Moped
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12916
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:28 am »
 My ST1300 was an absolute nut roaster. I tried every heat mitigation modification and sold it in just two months, it robbed me of my joy of riding. Early model Concours 1400's have heat issues although not as bad as the ST1300. 2010 Concours1400 and up have been greatly improved. Heat from bike is a non issue for me, just the Florida heat.

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 01:26:14 pm »
My 09 absolutely roasted me in traffic today. 95F outside, my little dash thermometer got to 120 once the fan kicked on and started blowing the super heated engine air up on me. I think it's getting the Stevie flash asap. Also, this bike is bone stock and while it makes terrific midrange surge @4-8k it feels to really flatten above 8k though it does keep pulling. Is that normal for a stocker?

Yes. Absolutely normal for a stock bike. Guaranteed it’ll run cooler after flashing. Ivan’s tune is fantastic. I can’t say much about Steve’s due to very limited experience with it, but you can’t go wrong either way.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 01:42:08 pm »
 There's some heat dams under the tank on the 08/ 9's that will help keep some of the heat from getting up in the crotch area. Sometimes during servicing they can be dislodged or removed and the heat gets up there. I had an 09 and it was missing those dams when I bought it. I tried adding the foam lower dams from ebay, and it pushed all the heat up to spew out around the edges of the tank. Can you sing "roasting chestnuts by the fire"?
 Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Baggerjohn

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 04:00:48 pm »
The hot '08-'09 cockpit isn't a bug...it's a feature.

I have an '08 ABS which is set up for cool to downright cold (0F or lower) days, and my '12 is set up for cool to hot three-season riding when I don't feel like getting my cruisers drenched in a downpour. Which Ahia seems to have a lot of lately.  >:(

The wind protection and cockpit heat on the '08 makes near-zero riding doable, even with just a set of chaps over pants...or a non-heated riding suit. I do have hookups for heated pants liners and a seat heater on both bikes, should I need them.

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  So they did some fairing redesign in 2010 that helped the heat.  Were there any further improvements to improve rider heat after 2010?  I am looking around and just want to be looking at the correct model years.  I saw Tundra's comment on the ST1300, and it does have a reputation for riding hot.  I currently have a ST1100 and I bought it over a ST1300 for that very reason.  I had a Honda Blackbird not long ago and that mutha would get hot. 

A Really basic question, but what's the story on Ivan's flash?  Exactly what is it? 
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 05:38:39 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  So they did some fairing redesign in 2010 that helped the heat.  Were there any further improvements to improve rider heat after 2010?  I am looking around and just want to be looking at the correct model years.  I saw Tundra's comment on the ST1300, and it does have a reputation for riding hot.  I currently have a ST1100 and I bought it over a ST1300 for that very reason.  I had a Honda Blackbird not long ago and that mutha would get hot. 

A Really basic question, but what's the story on Ivan's flash?  Exactly what is it?

Ivan’s flash— pull out the ECU, send it to him. He reprograms the fuel maps and sends it back. Instant smiles. Bike runs smoother, cooler, far better low speed manners, and smooth, predictable, and copious amounts of power everywhere in the rev range.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 08:59:05 pm »
And this from a long time COG member.
http://forum.cog-online.org/shoodaben-engineering/about-shoodaben-engineering-and-my-services/
Steve's work is highly regarded among the COG membership.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 04:24:38 am »
So a full system that ditches the cat and a Shoodaben flash will help out, yes? It wasn't even hot today (75F) but i dualsported the 09 for about 300 miles and on the longer gravel sections just tooling in 3rd it roasted my nootsek pretty bad. Love the bike, just needs better off/on fueling, less top end restriction and some heat mitigation. Should i wait to install the full Del system until you've had time to mess with it or will the MRP be pretty close? Thanks.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 09:26:23 am »
Can't comment on a flash helping with heat.  Steve mentioned the heat dams.  I would make sure that all of those were in place.  Some of us are of the opinion that good riding gear can insulate you from all of that heat.  There should be plenty of threads discussing how to deal with unwanted heat.  Here ya go.  Should keep you busy reading for a while.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.cog-online.org+C14+heat&oq=site%3Aforum.cog-online.org+C14+heat&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.32989j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing