Author Topic: Engine not starting  (Read 721 times)

Offline arieux

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Engine not starting
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:58:50 pm »
I tried to start my c14 2012 this morning and it would not and sounded like it was out of gas but the tank is almost full.

This afternoon, i tried again:  the engine does not even try to start this time and i hear knocking in the head.

I am not getting any error message.

The engine was working fine after i changed the oil in December and i have not used it since because it is winter with a lot of snow and very cold.

If someone has an idea  i would appreciate.

Regards.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:21:29 pm by ron203, Reason: typo in title when moved -rs »

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Engine not starting
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:30 pm »
Did you ever replace the battery and abrasively clean all the ground connections?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:22:11 pm by ron203, Reason: typo in title when moved - rs »

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 am »
A bit more info might be helpful. Is the starter running when you hit ignition button? You say it sounded as if it were out of gas; does this mean the engine was turning over, but no sounds of ignition?

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:00 am »
Hi,
      Check the "KILL" switch!

Don't ask me how I know this!

Kids love to play with things! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »
I call dead battery lacking any additional info.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:41:33 pm »
The most common problem with the C14 not starting is with the electrical system, specifically the battery (-) to frame connection and the battery itself.  Start, as already noted, with the frame connection.  This is the #1 trouble spot.  You get corrosion built up and it prevents a good electrical connection.  The corrosion is Aluminum Oxide which looks exactly like Aluminum so you cannot see it but it is a good INSULATOR.  Remove the connection, clean the frame connection point with abrasive, put a tiny bit of dielectric grease (or just plain axle grease if that's all you have), and re-install the connection.  If that doesn't solve the problem, then pull the battery and take it to a shop and have it load tested.  A voltmeter check WILL NOT suffice here.  Many bad batteries show good voltage but will not produce enough power to start the bike.  Only a load test will show.

If both of these look good, then it's more complicated.  Report back and I'm sure there will be more advice...
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 07:06:40 pm »
When you tried to start, did the motor turn over sluggishly or with vigor?

During the non riding season, I put a Battery tender on about every week and a half to keep the battery healthy. I also put a tender on the 900 to top off it's battery. When the tender goes to the float mode I pull it off and move on. During the riding weather I don't worry about it because the bikes get ridden often enough to keep the batteries up.

I have the ability to heat the garage but only heat it when necessary so the bikes have been sitting in a very cold garage. It cost a lot to just heat the house. 

I lost the battery on the 09 in 2010 because I went too long without giving it a charge during the winter. Kawasaki replaced the battery under warranty.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 08:21:30 pm »
Theres not enough info known to make a suggestion...

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:24:35 pm »
Hi,
      Check the "KILL" switch!

Don't ask me how I know this!

Kids love to play with things! ;D

:iagree: