Author Topic: Engine temp  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Engine temp
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:14 pm »
Hi all,

I bought a brand new 2017 C14 yesterday and noticed some odd temp behavior. Everything was just fine during the 75 mile trip home from the stealership, but later yesterday afternoon I rode a few miles to pick up some takeout. All was well on the way, but after getting the food, when I fired up the bike the fan immediately kicked on and the temp gauge was pinned. It came down a bit when I started riding, though the fan kicked on once or twice on the way home.

Is this normal?

FWIW, I went out again last night to get some food for my oscar - pretty much the same distance and time off the bike - no temp issues.

Capn'
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Previous bikes: Triumph Trophy SE 1200, Yamaha V Star 1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Yamaha Venture 1200, Yamaha Seca 750, Yamaha Eleven Special, Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, Honda VTX 1300, Honda GL1000 Goldwing, Honda CB750Four, Honda GL500 Silverwing

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Engine temp
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:59:10 pm »
Nope, not normal. The temp should never be pinned. It sounds like you may have a problem. You have the choice of take it back to the dealer under warranty, or troubleshoot it yourself. I personally would probably do the basic checks myself first considering how far away your dealer is. But I also would not get too carried away either since they are responsible to provide you with a working motorcycle. First things first. Check the coolant level.  >:(

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:02:12 pm »
My first thought is an air bubble in the cooling system.  Since it's new I'd definitely take it to a dealer and get it checked.  If any overheat damage occurred, you'll want a paper trail that you had it checked for warranty purposes.

I will say that I've noticed that the temp can rise a bit after you've been riding and you turn the bike off, then start up after a few minutes.  But I've never seen mine do what you have described.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:39:57 pm »
Seems like an issue to take up with the dealer (warranty) when you get that initial oil change.
In this case, I'd definitely go back to the dealer for that oil change.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:12:02 pm »
Thanks all. I'll keep a close eye on it and see if it happens again. I can take it to any authorized Kawasaki dealer, and have one just a few miles from home, so if it does happen again, to the shop it goes...which would be a drag.
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Previous bikes: Triumph Trophy SE 1200, Yamaha V Star 1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Yamaha Venture 1200, Yamaha Seca 750, Yamaha Eleven Special, Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, Honda VTX 1300, Honda GL1000 Goldwing, Honda CB750Four, Honda GL500 Silverwing

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 10:17:04 pm »
Yep. sounds like a burp was needed, check level and monitor.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 11:18:55 pm »
It would seem to me if there was THAT much of an air bubble that you should see a lower level on the over flow bottle?

Idaknow. Odd. 

I did realize right away that the temp on the C14 fluctuates more than I was used to in bikes in the past, BUt probably because the temp gauge is more precise. 

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 12:33:04 pm »
I did have a look at the overflow tank yesterday, and it has plenty of coolant. Will continue to monitor...once it quits raining.
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:53:33 pm »

I will say that I've noticed that the temp can rise a bit after you've been riding and you turn the bike off, then start up after a few minutes.  But I've never seen mine do what you have described.

this is called "heat soak" and is the result of the hot water in the block taking on more heat from the engine, and not dispersing the heat through circulation to the radiator.

I agree, the OP's situation doesn't seem normal. Temp gauges can do some odd stuff when coolant is not touching the sending unit, but I doubt the engine would be running after 75 miles of no circulation in the cooling system. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »
...I doubt the engine would be running after 75 miles of no circulation in the cooling system.

I thought the same thing.
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:27:14 pm »
Still I would not rely on looking at the coolant over flow container as indicating the radiator is full. I would pop off the right side dashboard and set the bike on the side stand and then pop off the radiator cap and see where the coolant level is. :beerchug:

Mine has never pegged the temp gauge from heat soak even in super high outside temps on trips. But it gets up there due to heat soak for sure.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:05:40 pm »
I would pop off the right side dashboard and set the bike on the side stand and then pop off the radiator cap and see where the coolant level is.

Yep, that's on my list for sure. Thanks!
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:20 am »
      My '15 model behaved similarly when new and stock. It threw a disturbing amount of heat for a liquid cooled bike. On immediate restart the temp gauge would also get close to 100%. It is possible, even likely, that the '17 bike is mapped leaner and runs even hotter than mine did.
     Ivan's flash helped with this immensely. My bike now runs a unit or two cooler than it did stock, and takes longer to get hot when stopped in traffic. It made a remarkable difference, heat is not a thing now.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 11:48:13 pm »
      My '15 model behaved similarly when new and stock. It threw a disturbing amount of heat for a liquid cooled bike. On immediate restart the temp gauge would also get close to 100%. It is possible, even likely, that the '17 bike is mapped leaner and runs even hotter than mine did.
     Ivan's flash helped with this immensely. My bike now runs a unit or two cooler than it did stock, and takes longer to get hot when stopped in traffic. It made a remarkable difference, heat is not a thing now.

The 15 thru 17 models all use the same ECU PN, thus, the same mapping. In fact, when compared the 15 up ecu is actually richer than the earlier ecu's but the 02 sensor is tasked with close loop fuel trim that the earlier models don't have. That said, engine temps need to be considered in relation to ambient temps, and also a new bike that has high friction in the engine will naturally create more heat to shed. Engine cooling, for as simple as it seems, is actually really not understood very well by many people. If you have a chance you might want to research "coolant cocktail"... there some info there to help control heat through more efficient coolant medium. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 04:42:33 am »

The 15 thru 17 models all use the same ECU PN, thus, the same mapping. In fact, when compared the 15 up ecu is actually richer than the earlier ecu's but the 02 sensor is tasked with close loop fuel trim that the earlier models don't have. That said, engine temps need to be considered in relation to ambient temps, and also a new bike that has high friction in the engine will naturally create more heat to shed. Engine cooling, for as simple as it seems, is actually really not understood very well by many people. If you have a chance you might want to research "coolant cocktail"... there some info there to help control heat through more efficient coolant medium. Steve

Thanks Steve, I read it. I have used water, water wetter + water, and other mixes in my roadrace bikes and dirt bikes.