Author Topic: Evitek LED Lighting Question  (Read 1200 times)

Offline bschulz

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10128
  • Membership Level: Active
Evitek LED Lighting Question
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:43:14 am »
I just installed the Evitek lights.  When the lights "click" into the mount they are not vertically oriented.  The first picture below shows a light right out of the box.

However, when I installed the lights, it seems to me they should be vertically aligned as in the 2nd picture.  Its easy enough to rotate them in this position past the "click".  I just want to check with others to see how you oriented your lights?

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
Re: Evitek LED Lighting Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:17:08 am »
If the lights are not oriented vertically the effectiveness of the "hood" on the LED chip will be reduced a good bit. This hood is what gives the clean and sharp cutoff line in the light pattern so you aren't blinding oncoming traffic. If you can get them vertical and they will stay securely in that position go for it.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Tommy

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:47 pm »
Mine were indexed and I didn't have a problem with alignment.
You will have to make sure they rotate fully into the locked position. The rubber boot can make this difficult.
The holder is also indexed and should only fit one way. The tabs are different widths.

Offline bschulz

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 10128
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:49:20 pm »
Mine were indexed and I didn't have a problem with alignment.
You will have to make sure they rotate fully into the locked position. The rubber boot can make this difficult.
The holder is also indexed and should only fit one way. The tabs are different widths.

That's what I was thinking too, but I checked before installing.  The first picture is with them rotated into the locked position.  You can see that they are not in the vertical orientation.  The tabs are different widths on mine also, but regardless seems obvious which way they should be inserted.

When I over rotated them into the vertical orientation, the black cable is pointed straight down at 90-degrees to the ground.

Offline TFly

• Bicycle
  • CDA #414
  • COG#: 10339
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:48:55 pm »
i just installed a set and found that it was easy to over rotate past the index stop. just be gentle when locking in position and they should line up- like your picture but at 12:00/vertical
Todd Flynn
Narragansett, Rhode Island
2011 C-14 Black
V&H CS1

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:50:06 am »
It may be that the Evitek sets are sold for cars and there is a left bulb and a right bulb.

I have the Evitek's in my bike and I think I remember something about there being a difference in orientation for the left and right sides.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 05:21:12 pm »
Raining in DFW today, so decided to install the Eviteks.  Was able to figure out how to remove the stock bulb and replace with the Evitek, no problem.  Now, reinstalling the bulb back in is tricky.   I was able to fold the rubber lip back to fit the bulb into place and gain access to the retainer, but I could not get the retainer back into position because the lip of the rubber boot keeps flipping back. 

Seems like I need two hands to get in there to hold the rubber boot back, hold the bulb, and push the retainer into place but there is hardly any space, even with the top inner cowlings out.

Is there a certain technique to getting the retainer back into place?  Does it take two people?
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 06:45:39 pm »
Dean,
First, remove the rubber boot completely. Once you separate the bulb from the base it should be relatively easy to install the retainer clip. After that you can install the boot and then the bulb.
Matt

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 08:53:30 am »
+1 on Matt.
The rubber boot fits around the base the same as on a regular H4 bulb. Place the base, then re-install the boot and push it round the base to the boot's normal position. Then insert the bulb.

Offline Tommy

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 11:14:12 am »
As I recall, the hoods should be aligned horizontally not vertically.
I'm at work so I can't look at mine right now but I'm pretty sure the hood is horizontal and the cup side is facing up (reflects the light upward for low beam).
The tabs do align the bulb correctly but they can be over-rotated easily and it's difficult to feel the detent. 

Offline curt1480

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:15:58 pm »
Kind of a side question on the lighting of the Concours 14.  Most have said the light on projects about 10 to 20 feet in front of the bike in stock configuration.  Does anyone have an idea of how many turns it takes to get the light projected at least another 20 feet down the road.  I know I gave mine another 2 or 3 turns and it does not seem like it has done anything.

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 07:41:58 pm »
Thanks for your replies Matt and Jorge.  I'll try to get the rubber boot over but it seems to be a tight fit.  Thought that way to install the rubber boot was to remove that sleeve (with the tabs) over the bulb, install the rubber boot, then put the sleeve back on to keep the boot in place.  Then bend the lip of the rubber boot back to get access to the retainer.  I'll give it a shot again.
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:02 pm »
DeanC,
Much easier to install each piece individually. Install the adapter plate and then retainer wire. Install rubber boot and then install bulb. Easy peezy.
Matt

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 06:26:35 pm »
DeanC,
Much easier to install each piece individually. Install the adapter plate and then retainer wire. Install rubber boot and then install bulb. Easy peezy.
Matt
Matt, I received my Evitek's today, gonna install them tomorrow; If I install the rubber boot before installing the bulb, how will I be able to install the bulb? Wouldn't the boot be covering the hole where the bulb goes in?

What's the concensus? In the 12-6 orientation (vertical), or 3-9 (horizontal)? If horizontal, the cover of the bulb aiming up or down? If vertical, the cover on the inside, or on the outside?

Thanks man!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »
12/6 is the correct orientation. But, when viewed from the front the LED is just slightly rotated clockwise a degree or two when its twisted into the H4 adapter. Cut a hole in the rubber boot in the center is what I did.

Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 11:00:12 pm »
Its been a while since I installed these but I DID NOT have to cut the rubber boots!!!  I found that if I tried to get them exactly vertical the vibration on the bike will cause the bulbs to eventually come out of their sockets on their own.  I would suggest that you do not turn past the detents and they will work fine.

Fred
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:04:51 pm by Fred_Wa2gzw »

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »
Its been a while since I installed these but I DID NOT have to cut the rubber boots!!!  I found that if I tried to get them exactly vertical the vibration on the bike will cause the bulbs to eventually come out of their sockets on their own.  I would suggest that you do not turn past the detents and they will work fine.

Fred

Yes, not sure but I don't think I cut them either. Just looked at them. Thanks Fred
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »
So guys, I mounted the Evitek LED lights on Friday night (I know, my social life is WILD!), but to be frank, unless I didn't install them properly, I'm not a fan of the pattern.

This is what I did. Removed the old bulb, installed the tabbed circle, put the metal holder back in place, re-installed the rubber boot, and put lastly installed the LED bulb and turned it so it clicked. The bulb is currently in the vertical position (I will add some pics later). I'm not seeing the "nice cutoff" everyone is talking about.

On low beams, it is bright, there's a big patch of light about 6 feet from the bike, and that patch moves closed or further if I play with the "up-down" dial. However, the pattern itself does not change.

It gets even worse when I put it on high beams; the pattern is totally off and basically it's not illuminating the road. What did I do wrong? HELP! :??: >:(
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--